PDA

View Full Version : Not so sexy, Rexy (Gory details for my buddy finless...arg)

rdlohr
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
On the good side, we finally had a few decent days of weather in New England. On the bad side I took advantage of the nice weather as a great chance to crash my 450.

I had been having a problem when I did loops where I would get a strange tapping noise as the heli is stressed mid loop. I was also having a problem with my heli turning a bit to the side when flipping over to go inverted.

I was starting to think it was my frames flexing since I had a number of frame cracks that I hadn't fixed cause its such a major rebuild to replace the top frames. Its been winter so I haven't been flying much anyway.

I flew one pack and did all the obligatory figure eights, loops, rolls, flips and short term inversion stuff. I was a bit rusty from so little stick time all winter, but the sun was shining and I was doing pretty well.

The weather was holding out and I had a second pack charged so I went up to do some more.

Well, I flipped over to go inverted and she turned sideways half way through the flip. I tried to recover but before I could bail here out I backed into some bleachers and BANG, she was down.

It wasn't all that bad, but I did manage to break one of my trademark fins and put one more crack in my frame where the canopy mounts.

It seemed like the time is right to put in the new top frames and do a rebuild. I'm also going to go to a 14T pinion on my JGF450 in the process. I'm hoping this will solve my flexing problem and give my collective more authority in the process.

Here is my workbench while I wait for the new pinion.

http://www.helifreak.com/album_mod/upload/adb7d3cdda6ebf854e5e5b3ea91c80f7.jpg

The up side is I got to run 3 packs thru my TREX600 and am just loving it. I can already more easily do anything I could do on the 450 on the 600. It is such a nice machine!

Rick

Jermo
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
:? sorry man.. :) we can rebuild it... we have the technology <cue music> The 6Million Dollar HELI!! ;)
Jermo

rdlohr
03-28-2007, 07:03 AM
sorry man.. we can rebuild it... we have the technology <cue music> The 6Million Dollar HELI!!
Jermo

Hehe, I hear the music playing. Finless has been ribbing me via PM. Never saw so many :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol .

:D I deserved it though!

Rick

The Reaper
03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
errrr.... well, what's the autopsy report? Why did it happen and/or what was causing the clicking sound? :dontknow

jgeorgic
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Crashing SUCKS.............But thats why we have to work :glasses2:

bigbadbob0
03-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Well, I'll bite on the picture... I love that work bench. I need to do that.

Finless
03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
BUt Rick.... Where's the pictures of your buddies heli you also crashed ;)

And what's the story about idle up switch?
:lolol :lolol :lolol :lolol

Bob

Rick Rotorhead
03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Rick, its much better to do a voluntary re-build rather than have fate force one upon you eh! What do you mean by 'backed into the bleachers' was it you or the heli that fell over the cheap seats :lol:

rdlohr
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Sorry to hear that Rick, its much better to do a voluntary re-build rather than have fate force one upon you eh! What do you mean by 'backed into the bleachers' was it you or the heli that fell over the cheap seats

You're right, it was the heli... BANG.

BUt Rick.... Where's the pictures of your buddies heli you also crashed

Damn idle up... That switch is overrated you know...
Rick

rdlohr
03-28-2007, 03:06 PM
errrr.... well, what's the autopsy report? Why did it happen and/or what was causing the clicking sound?

I think the heli turned due to the frame flexing and the servos along with it. As far as the tapping, I didn't find anything out of the ordinary other than the frames falling apart by the front servos.

rdlohr
03-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, I'll bite on the picture... I love that work bench. I need to do that.

Thanks!. I'm loving that work bench. Not quite as clean as it was a few months back when I posted it.

Crashing SUCKS.............But thats why we have to work

Twice in two days... :arggg: :arggg: :arggg:

Copterklutz
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Bob

Ouch - He's still ribbing you, eh Rick ?? I think he's suffered enough Bob. :lol:

Until the next crash..... :smokin:

rdlohr
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Ouch - He's still ribbing you, eh Rick ?? I think he's suffered enough Bob.

Oh sure....he says this after firing a PM off to Bob first thing Monday morning.
:twisted:

Hey, the weather is good so life is good! :hug:

Until the next crash.....

I filled my quota for crashing this year. No more crashing... :shock:

Rick

Finless
03-28-2007, 08:29 PM
He's got it out for you I think ;)

IDLE UP MAN! Idle up! :arggg:

Bob

rdlohr
03-28-2007, 08:32 PM
He's got it out for you I think

IDLE UP MAN! Idle up!

:lolol :lolol :lolol

Every time he goes up now and I see him ready to start some 3D stuff I say "You in Idle up?"

He's eat'in this right up!

Rick