PDA

View Full Version : Trex 500E - Just Bought, Any Advice?

PC4CAB
07-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi guys,

Just bought a NIB Trex 500E Super Combo as my next step to learn on, along with the Sim and an mCPX.

I'd love any advice you have on how to build the bird into a great ship for a beginner. I also plan to watch the videos Finless put together. Having said that, I do have 2 questions to start:

(1) What is a decent battery pack to buy to hover with?
(2) I see there are some flight stabalization systems on the market, and have been thinking of using one to asist with training. Any advice on which one to use? How hard are they to setup?

Again, appreciate any advice on building and flying the 500!

Cheers!

el guapo
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
"RCHELICOPTERFUN.COM" has a 10 day training program. the video are on you tube for free. and are very good. you could buy his books. but I never found the need.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-to-fly-rc-helicopters.html

just whatever you do, do not try to "fly it". follow the 10 day program and you should be good.

jcflyer
07-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi guys,

Just bought a NIB Trex 500E Super Combo as my next step to learn on, along with the Sim and an mCPX.

I'd love any advice you have on how to build the bird into a great ship for a beginner. I also plan to watch the videos Finless put together. Having said that, I do have 2 questions to start:

(1) What is a decent battery pack to buy to hover with?
(2) I see there are some flight stabalization systems on the market, and have been thinking of using one to asist with training. Any advice on which one to use? How hard are they to setup?

Again, appreciate any advice on building and flying the 500!

Cheers!

My advice is to watch the video's they are priceless, take your time set the machine up for a beginer. I use a 3300mah 30C battery because the COG is better than with a 2600mah 35C battery. I don't know much about the stablization systems because I chose to learn on a flybar first, once I can fly a flybar I can fly anything.

Jay

NCcraig
07-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Don't forget top put the feathering shaft sleeve in. I am running 6S 3300 30C Blue lipos from Hobby Partz and so far have had good results.

bstanley72
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I use a 3300mah 30C battery because the COG is better than with a 2600mah 35C battery.
Jay

+ 1. I have a 2600 35C Voltz battery it is tough to get it far enough forward on the tray and still get the canopy on.

I use 3300 30C Sky Lipos also from Hobbypartz. I have one Blue Lipo as well, but like the Sky better as their maximum charge rate is higher (1C vs. 3C).

jcflyer
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
+ 1. I have a 2600 35C Voltz battery it is tough to get it far enough forward on the tray and still get the canopy on.

I use 3300 30C Sky Lipos also from Hobbypartz. I have one Blue Lipo as well, but like the Sky better as their maximum charge rate is higher (1C vs. 3C).

I am using the Blue Lipos now maybe next time I buy I will try the Sky!!! Yes it is impossible to get the canopy on with the 2600mah battery so far forward to acieve the proper COG.

Jay

el guapo
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Don't forget top put the feathering shaft sleeve in. .

+1
yes the feathering shaft sleave, finless forgot about it in his video.:cheers

Ozz58
07-14-2011, 01:34 PM
+1
yes the feathering shaft sleave, finless forgot about it in his video.:cheers

He didn't forget them, the earlier kits did not come with them. Think the ESP was the first kit to include sleaves.

Craig

el guapo
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
He didn't forget them, the earlier kits did not come with them. Think the ESP was the first kit to include sleaves.

Craig

sooo he forgot to predict the future. :)

bad finless... bad boy:whip.

NCcraig
07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
sooo he forgot to predict the future. :)

bad finless... bad boy:whip.

Well there goes Bob's "Guru" status in my eyes! :rotf

Either way, don't forget the sleeve.

nuke
07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Make sure you properly use loc tite on all your screws. Trust me, this will help. Also, take your time when running your electrical wires. There really isn't any video to help you figure out where they all go, and make sure you don't run any wires near anything that could possibly touch them. Take your time running, and zip tie them neatly and make sure they are on the inside of the frame if possible. Also, don't forget to pin your boom if you have a torque tube. I think the kit you have is belt, but not sure.