PDA

View Full Version : Compass QC Problems :(

daveyht3
07-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Ok to start this off I love my atom 500 more then some things in this life that should really be taking presedance, Dealing with Nankin has been an all around wonderful expereance and you really can't argue with the quaility vs price ratio ie parts kit's and such BUT ran into some issues with a few of the parts I orderd to repair my epic lofty 3D crash or Atom Melt down as I call it. All in all I orderd quit a few parts and all seemed well untill I went to install my main shaft. Found the holes were cross drilled at the wrong angle one was at 90 we will call it the jesus hole was off by a good 15-20 degrees. ok I thought things happen of-course there is only one main shaft in that bag when in other kit's i've ownd you get atleast a second shot or in the B-400's case you get three. Then the final issue Compass 430mm Blades one blade was almost an ounce out of balance with the other not to mention ground exessivly by ching chang woo over there in china I guess chinny ching chang who typicly does the sanding had to tend his goats that day this resulted in gel coat chipping and blade tracking issues. Compass I love you but please get your stuff together!!! I am a welder and i don't let junk roll out the door why should I spend my hard earned money on junk?? I know one call to mike and the issue will be settled but I got to wait for the junk hope it is right then take my thing all apart again give me a break and get it right the first time. Plenty of other helis out there don't make me roll over in that direction.:mad::mad::mad::thumbdown::thumbdown::th umbdown:

TheBum
07-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Are you saying that the holes were drilled in at a different angle but still both through the center of the shaft? If that's the case, what's the problem? It doesn't make a bitt of difference how the holes are lined up: there is no common reference point between the head block and the autorotation pulley.

daveyht3
07-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Are you saying that the holes were drilled in at a different angle but still both through the center of the shaft? If that's the case, what's the problem? It doesn't make a bitt of difference how the holes are lined up: there is no common reference point between the head block and the autorotation pulley.

Drilled off set of the center of the shaft then one hole is drilled like the shaft was not fixtured in the machine properly and the bit walked up therefore when one of the bolts weather it be the jesus or the autorotation is installed the other cant get through the hole. shaft is un-useable ruind 2 bolts trying. I think it must have been a friday afternoon when my blades and shaft were made. Still love compass and like I said I know mike will take care of this my gripe is more with whoever manufactured these parts and knew something was up and let them slide anyway. Not a good way to do busness. I have been in manufactring for well over 10 years now and trust me they knew these were bad apples especilly the blades.

arcweld
07-18-2011, 08:11 AM
I understand your frustrations as I have hit a few QC compass walls myself and do think they need to pull their socks up a bit in that department. others may disagree, But I don't think there is any need for the slightly racist reference to the guy in the factory who put your heli together.
We are a global heli community.

daveyht3
07-18-2011, 04:59 PM
I understand your frustrations as I have hit a few QC compass walls myself and do think they need to pull their socks up a bit in that department. others may disagree, But I don't think there is any need for the slightly racist reference to the guy in the factory who put your heli together.
We are a global heli community.

This was not a new kit this was replacement Blades and mainshaft amungst a lot of other parts There should not be that great of a failer rate to begin with.

If I offended anyone with my reference to those fine workers who sent me junk I give my sencerest apologize. I was angery and mike has already shipped my new junk after close inspection of-course. My anger is so deep because Barnstormer had to send back Blades on atleast one occasion I am aware of but I sware it was atleast twice, furthermore I think the stock should be inspected before it leaves the factory This stuff is not cheap and when I spend $300.00 on an order for parts I want it right!!!!!!! (not to mention it is kind of a saftey issue as well). this is not something that we as a Global community as you put it can let slide. Of-Course I have some hate and discontent for the idiot who put the stuff out the door I dont care what race they are Not trying to be rude or be a compass hater just get my parts right the first time. TOO MUCH TO ASK???:bomb:

skunkworx
07-20-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think you're unjustified in asking for what you paid for. Maybe it was bit of an overreaction and a bit uncalled for, but understandable nonetheless. If there is a perfect company out here with absolutely no issues, I'd be the first person signed up to fly their stuff, but let's face it, that just isn't a reality. I think Nankin goes above and beyond most other shops in helping you out with issues but even then there's only so much that can be done because they're the "middleman." I think if you ended up sending back half of your $300 order, that would raise an eyebrow so you have to think of it as a law of averages.

As an example, I'll point out everyone's discontent over a certain item powering your heli. If you get a ton of failures but the manufacturer doesn't hear about it or people just give up and buy something else, they may never know it was bad (how often do people call up to fanaticize just GOOD their stuff works, right? They can only assume that everything is peachy.

Now that's not to try and justify them sending out bad parts, but it's possible that it's part of the greater problem. Like I said, if they hear about the problem, they are much more likely to attempt a corrective action but a single post on a forum is likely not going to draw the desired response for a few reasons. #1 (and don't take this the wrong way) you could be making it all up. #2 there is no proof that it actually happened. #3 it could be related to user error or crash damage out of our control. And #4 The problem slipped by QA. #5 the problem isn't reported or heard by the right people high enough on the food chain. We're not the only manufacturer to have these things actually happen and they do (especially #1).

Most of the time if we (team pilots and field reps) see something come up bad on the forums, it's our job to report it, but we don't catch it all so we rely a lot on direct customer feedback. Also, we're not the first in line to actually get changes made. We give our recomendation and it's up to someone else to make the changes. If you take it back to them, they will be able to hand it to the factory and give them the WTF? Which = improved products in the long run (or at least that's the basic concept in simplest terms).

In the mean time, I do ask that you have patience and give them a chance to rectify the problem. I also hope you'll continue flying Compass machines as I've flown several brands and they still offer some of the best machines I've ever flown (and it's the reason I own them, not because I'm affiliated).

Ah Clem
07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Davey,

Don't get discouraged and try not to be too upset.

Please contact Mike at Nankin Hobby and give him a chance to make it right. Nankin has excellent customer support and, I am sure, will be happy to assist you.

I saw your apology for the the inappropriate ethnic comments from your post, above, and I am sure that apology was heartfelt. I would ask that you go back and edit those comments out completely. I know that you were very upset, but that was completely uncalled for, helps no one, and probably offends many, who may still see them, if they remain.

Stay focused on your flying, which is excellent (I watch all your videos).

Jason O'Connell
07-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Dave is really a great guy, he just gets a little..... worked up at times :OK.

+ 1 for Ah Clem's advice

daveyht3
07-21-2011, 05:38 AM
You make some great points in there. Mike did resolve the issue as I wrote my prob was not with him at all mike and Nankin do there best, and yes he turnned the parts right around on mon. But my big issue is barn and I are only a few miles apart here in wi. If he gets bad blades then I get bad blades isn't that not a big enough fail rate in a small enough area to get somewhat :mad: I understand how issues are resolved through the proper channels, Just think the atom and parts have been around long enough these bugs should have been exterminated long ago. Davey has got his rants out on this issue and just wants to be happy now lol

Airworks
07-22-2011, 02:42 PM
compass always does the best they can to keep a check in QC. and the suppliers do there best to keep up with the issue and resolve effectivly to their customers.

i know from experience , if something was bad from my align parts(450) , it was an eat from my pocket cause they admit to no faults( it had to be me that did it).
i do agree with gettin 3 mainshafts in a pack is nice , cause most every pack ive gotten has 1 thats not strait. so thats 1 out of 3 that gets through QC. not to mention 2 tailshafts with pulley , and have 1 that belt doesnt seat into due to a bad grooved pulley tooth.

all in all, a little quark here and there will happen, imagine looking at 1000 mainshafts all day putting into a bag. i GARANTEE!!! a few bad ones slip by your eyes!. what matters is how the issue is taken care of at that point. and ive never had a complaint to poor service or rectifying the issue.
even better! compass letting the community know of a said issue and making great on it.