PDA

View Full Version : Bent Rotor Housing?

HD2Pct
07-18-2011, 07:32 PM
After a small tail strike where I had to place the front TT gears on the 500, on my test flight I noticed that the head seemed to be wobbly as it spun down. I pulled the main blades and powered it up and you can definitely see a wobble in the housing(when you look at the head button) I pulled the main shaft, and it is straight. Do these housings actually bend? From what? I have also read that this is normal. I am wondering if I am making too much out of nothing. (?)

cgetman02
07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
The rotor housing is one of the most common parts that I have to replace. I always keep a stock of them. Changing them out isn't all that bad after you have done it a couple of times. You'll never get your tracking right with a bent one.

FWIW, Crashmaster

wanderer56
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Fought a vibration for about 2 months because I didn't think a "little tip-over" could have possibly bent the main rotor housing. Wrong! Smooth as silk now. :thumbup:

blackmagic08
07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Just to standardize the terminology... are you referring to the "rotor head" or the "feathering shaft" or perhaps the "blade grips?"

the more universal the terms, the more we are all on the same page and can help.

HD2Pct
07-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Blackmagic- Align calls it the Main Rotor Housing, so I thought it would go ahead and use that term. Perhaps you call that piece the "rotor head" and I know many do, but I am trying to prevent confusion by using their terminology.

I am not referring to blade grips or the feathering shaft. Although it's possible to get similar symptoms from a bent feathering shaft, I would think.

It's hard to believe I bent that meaty-looking housing with the accident that I had, but since I have another one, I might as well swap it out.

Blayd
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Well, you might want to get used to chasing a problem, and keep some parts as stock. Feathering shaft, bearings, head, and grips are easily diagnosed if you have them to go through piece by piece. I usualy swap the feathering shaft first, since its most suseptible to bending, then the head.. after a strike.. I swap bearings in the grips no matter what usually. Ive seen quite a few housings as you call them, bent. You need to remember the shaft only goes so far, then the top of the head, holding the feathering shaft is very easy to bend. It doesnt take much to make a severe wobble.

HD2Pct
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Blayd - yeah that's what it was. A bent rotor housing. I don't recall doing anything to cause that to happen. My blades have stayed out of the dirt. Maybe I did something stupid while carrying it.

memosteve
07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
I've bent two "main rotor housings"... the first time was due to a crash, the second I still don't know what happened as there was only ever the one crash on this machine.:thinking