PDA

View Full Version : Want to fly my Lama outside. Are these parts what I need?

purple aki
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm sick and tired of my lama being blown away uncontrollably in even the slightest breeze.

Will these parts allow for outdoor flight in slight winds?
1- Xtreme extended 8mm shaft or 12mm
2- Longer servo arms from Blade cx2 (eflrsa100)
and finally, Xtreme blades

Is this all I need, or am I missing something?

I intend to order everything I need in one go off the internet within the next few hours, so I appreciate any quick help on this.

Cheers,
Purps

AndrejaKo
08-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Good luck on the quick, high quality reply. This subforum is almost a ghost-town!

From little experience I have, these look like the parts that would be the most helpful.

I'm not 100% sure about the servo arms. If you got a Lama with sown-off arms, you may need to modify the airframe a bit to make sure that the new arms fit.

This should improve the stability somewhat, but from what I can see, the only sure way is to do the dual swashplate modification. You can find some information on how to do that here (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=241920).

EDIT: I almost forgot! I've seen some people claim that a shorter flybar, especially when used without the weights, will improve the performance in the wind a bit because the position of the upper blades will be able to change more quickly.

Also a bit of rant: Yesterday I was flying my Hunter and wind picked up so quickly that I had to spend the entire battery chasing the helicopter and trying to land it. In the end I managed to bring altitude to "just" 10 meters when the motors cut off.

Also don't forget to post results of the modifications!

mnwizard
08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a wide variety of co-axials and I have done the mods you are thinking about, several times.

My experience has been that there is just no way of modding a small co-axial to fly in windy conditions.

The main problems are a lack of adjustable pitch and the light weight of the heli.

If you enjoy tinkering with your helis and modding them, then by all means do these mods. They will make the the heli more responsive and fun to fly. However it is still going to be thrown about by the wind.

The extreme blades will make the biggest difference in flight charactoristics. They will give more lift at lower rpm and the effect is like adding power.

The extended shaft is also a good addition as it will pretty much stop blade strikes which will allow you to make more drastic control inputs. This is especially helpful in pulling back collective to stop forward flight quickly.

The longer servo arms are probably not necessary if you use the outer most holes on the stock arms. Any more movement than that and the heli gets very touchy and more difficult to fly.

AndrejaKo
08-12-2011, 12:47 PM
The problem with stock servo arms is that they are often sawn-off, so replacement arms which are full size may be needed.

Also do you have any experience with dual swashplate or flybarless mods? From what I've seen on youtube, some helis with dual swashplate can survive some wind and flybarless modification makes them even more resistant.

This looks interesting to me as a long term modification project.

bryont
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I fly my Lama Extreme uprade outside all the time. Usually in the evenings with light or no wind. But it can handle some wind. You have to plan for it when flying.

Karenheli
10-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I have MD520 Lama 4, well I will choose to fly it indoor for I try on flying slightly. my lama is very tractable.. I treated him patiently so that he can be easily under controlled.