PDA

View Full Version : 3GX settings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

ReadyToCrash
10-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Okay so you like to stay speculaiting for 30 more pages about what it usually is, thats a big help :face not my hobby.

Blaming Align also not my hobby

i'm not in favor or against any brand, but i can see 3gx has issues, as its software also does. gp780 as well.
when a product requires a lot of knownlegde to be used properly, i'd label it as ''not good''.

Elliott000
10-29-2011, 09:25 AM
I feel differently. Speaking of which any if not most "high quality" products require some degree of knowledge to use its full potential and i think if u arent willing to learn the ins and outs than dont use it. And dont complain because you cant figure it out. Im new to this heli business and have crashed my 550 3gx a few times.... I crashed it lol not the computer. Programming and fine tuning may take time and knowledge but i gained my knowledge here and she flys great.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

ReadyToCrash
10-29-2011, 11:14 AM
if i could throw it in the trash can i would, believe me. it came with a 2nd hand trex550 i bought recently. when i bought it i thought it was a good deal but now i`m not that sure anymore. i have a beatsx. i know what i`m talking about.
the heli is unstable in the air. the tail wags 30 degree from times to times. cyclic feels slack. the heli keeps seesawing back/forth and left/right. i started with 20% expo and ended up with 0%, but the cyclic still is hard to control. have tried many diff settings on the software as adviced here. i`m considering buying a fb head and moving back to it. it is not worth keep trying week after week and getting no result.

ozflyer
10-29-2011, 03:40 PM
if i could throw it in the trash can i would, believe me. it came with a 2nd hand trex550 i bought recently. when i bought it i thought it was a good deal but now i`m not that sure anymore. i have a beatsx.

I think that statement says it all "2nd hand" who knows what the previous owner has done, it could have been subjected to anything and now no longer works properly. If you are having this much trouble even with other peoples settings there is definitely a problem. I have had my 500 hovering inside my house so these things are stable. I have both 3G and 3GX. Agreed the software sucks the beta looked ok but the official release is crap.

ReadyToCrash
10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I think that statement says it all "2nd hand" who knows what the previous owner has done, it could have been subjected to anything and now no longer works properly. If you are having this much trouble even with other peoples settings there is definitely a problem. I have had my 500 hovering inside my house so these things are stable. I have both 3G and 3GX. Agreed the software sucks the beta looked ok but the official release is crap.

do you have a 550? would you bother to tell me what settings you have? thanks

Turttle
10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes I agree that the software is not quite right.I have not tinkered much with it but I am going to try a few different settings today.I am also at 0 expo because Imo there is to many gain/limit swash settings with different names that are not in tune with radio settings of the same princible.I dont feel in touch with the helis cammand responce.Signal lags then overshoots.I may be wrong with my theory but I am going to tinker with it today and match the numbers with software and radio,turn down some of the bell and hiller mixing and up the gains as much as possible to get rid of some of the clash with the mixing.But as far as glitching or having any ground disturbance in a hover its pretty solid.I have not had any drift or crazy stuff.Just the feel is not right.

ReadyToCrash
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Signal lags then overshoots.... Just the feel is not right.

+one billion
pls let me know what you find out. thanks.

Turttle
10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
+one billion
pls let me know what you find out. thanks.
Right now I am using leons settings.I have zero expo in the gyro and radio.I calibrated @11 dagree pitch or for stability.Left all my radio swash at factory.After calibration I use my low rates that are set to about 60-70 about 5-7 dagree cyclic.I have gain pots @2 oclock the higher they can be set the better.I think this is a good starting point and I also match dr with 3gx software and radio.I think the most important thing with gyros is your controll linkage has to be completely free moving.No tight or rouph spots from swash all the way up to the rotor head.I check each by hand to make sure its smooth as silk.

ozflyer
10-29-2011, 04:21 PM
do you have a 550? would you bother to tell me what settings you have? thanks

sorry I don't have a 550 only 500's and my 3GX is now in a scale heli I had to play with the tail settings to get it to work it that model, all trial and error but the settings would not be transferable.

ReadyToCrash
10-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Right now I am using leons settings.I have zero expo in the gyro and radio.
me too.
Left all my radio swash at factory.
what do you mean? swash mix? at factory? which radio do you have? mine is dx7.
After calibration I use my low rates that are set to about 60-70 about 5-7 dagree cyclic.
low rates? do you mean DR? how many degrees do you have for aileron in DIR? do you mean you are reducing the ail end points on the DR menu after the dir settings? i tryied the 12 degree ail in the DIR settings as advised but almost crashed the heli because it was uncontrollable. now i have 8-9 degree for ail in the DIR settings and 100% DR.

I have gain pots @2 oclock the higher they can be set the better. mine are 12 oclock and 10 oclock. what do those gain pots do actually? what does gain mean in a swash plate?

I also match dr with 3gx software and radio. i don`t know how to do that. i don`t know what you mean.

thanks for your patience.

ozflyer
10-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi readytocrash

Replace the word gain with sensitivity and it will make some more sense.
The pots on the 3GX adjust the gain of aileron and elevator they do the same as adjusting the total gain compensate in the software. Easier to adjust at the field.

If you have a look at the setting display page you can see them change as you adjust them.

Turttle
10-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah IDK just took her out for another flight.A bit gusty out side but I got her tamed down a little more.Things are just not consistant.Now Im getting alot of oscalation so I turned down the lock gains a little bit and regular gain pots are about 12-2 oclock.Ended up with a setting of 50 on my bell hiller mixing seems she doesnt want to hold as well.Idk maybe the next update will fix things.Have not tried the 1.2 yet but I can hold off untill its ready.It flies but I dont feel linked with the model.Right now seems like its always going to need fine tuning lol but it fliesGuess for now just going to half to get use to its habbits.:Slap

Turttle
10-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Wind calmed down and got a few more flights in and I think I found the problem with the lag and overshoot.In the pc software after I had everything set pretty close to where it felt comfertable I went into the roll percentage page that shows your stick inputes and I noticed at half stick I was allready at 300 dagrees.So I lower my dr untill it matched what was on the screen and added about 30 percent expo for high rates.Low rates lowerd dr in radio till it was about 270 dagrees with 2 expo.Feels much better.I was also able to turn the gains back up quite a bit.:cheers

ReadyToCrash
10-30-2011, 09:04 AM
i finally had a good flight with my 3gx.

cyclic now is responding very well and that seesaw thing is gone.

i can`t believe i`m flying the same heli i was yesterday.

i just need to improve the following:

1-the heli is slightly willing to roll to the left. when i fly kind of nose in it is clear. i needed to correct the tendency with some ail.

2-there is also a slight tendency to drift back.

swashplate is 100% lavel. i`ve already checked it many times.

i wonder if there is some TRIM on 3gx so that i can solve it quickly.

thanks a lot.

smsodhi
10-30-2011, 09:43 AM

1-the heli is slightly willing to roll to the left. when i fly kind of nose in it is clear. i needed to correct the tendency with some ail.

thanks a lot.

Try checking the pots on the radio.
If they are not centered, zero, at midstick you will have some interactions. The 3GX unit will see this as an input and correct for this giving rise to some drifting.
Check the stick position in your servo monitor or AFR in futaba radio.
I have the same issue and have sent my 12FG back for recalibration.

Just a thought?

Coolice
10-30-2011, 10:09 AM

thanks a lot.

Hey.

You can make small trim changes using the transmitter trims.
Just keep in mind that no helicopter is going to hold a set position for very long, unless its GPS controlled and so there will ultimately be some drifting as its natural for a heli to wander off.
Also a right hand rotation model will lean to the right, meaning a level swashplate is not necassarily a stationary hover position.

I don't think your findings will be pot related, if they were playing up you'd have trouble levelling the swashplate which you haven't it seems.

With the backwards drift, have you checked your centre of gravity? This can cause fbl problems of the model doesn't hand level.

smsodhi
10-30-2011, 11:04 AM
I am sure that you can level your swash with pots that are off. At centre collective and with the cyclics centred the radio will be sending, for example, a forward signal of say 5%. The swash can be levelled using subtrims.
This forward command is constant. The equivalent of holding the elevator slightly forward all the time. It is this signal that i think the 3GX unit will see and then try to compensate for with a backward drift.
Having said all this I am sure coolice's suggestions will be of help.

Coolice
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I am sure that you can level your swash with pots that are off. At centre collective and with the cyclics centred the radio will be sending, for example, a forward signal of say 5%. The swash can be levelled using subtrims.
This forward command is constant. The equivalent of holding the elevator slightly forward all the time. It is this signal that i think the 3GX unit will see and then try to compensate for with a backward drift.
Having said all this I am sure coolice's suggestions will be of help.

Hey buddy.

I see what you mean, the only thing I can say is that during DIR you will be teaching the 3G/GX its neutral position so this position error will be sub trimmed out. The problem comes if any potentiometer inaccuracys change during flight, say from a 5% forward trim to a rearward out of trim state. You'd only see this from the monitor screen within the transmitter.

Trouble is there are so many small issues which can effect fbl performance its difficult to trace what can be causing your own models issues.

Turttle
10-30-2011, 12:32 PM
You can adjust radio trim tabs.I find I half to infpute a little trim.With the backward drift it may be the cyclic compensation for farward flight pitching.I like a little backwards pitch durring flight.And also with side ways drift I have to add a little to compensate for torque.Also the tail gain mix to cyclic may need to be lowered.Im working on the tail now its a bugger to half to fly then bring it back inside to change settings.I half to say on a calm day this little fbl 450 flies like my raptor 50.:thumbup:

ReadyToCrash
10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
the servo monitor on my dx7 - that so far i had no idea was it was for - seems a mess.

could it be the cause?

i found this http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t344083p1/ that kind of teaches how to calibrate the sticks.

if i do the calibration, will it work for the model selected only or will it affect all models in the radio?

to calibrate the sticks, all i need to do is selecting them for calibration and then have them in the center position and press ''save''?

this is an excerpt of what is said in the link above:

Here is the "Secret Recipe" for the DX7 or XP7202 service menu.USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP ON THIS, AS I CANNOT HELP.However, I would be interested in any cool things that you might discover.Basically, this is useful if you need to recalibrate your joystick centers and min/max values (my DX7 was a bit off on the right stick, but now it's fixed).
-Hilgert
-----------------------------Power up the 7202 with SCROLL DOWN & SELECT pressed, use DOWN to get to Model Reset, DOWN & SELECT to enter the reset menu, use the AILE D/R Switch to toggle with the EDIT + & -. 5 Cycles takes you into the Service Menu.Entering the menu gives you a Dark Screen (pixel test), Scroll Up gives you Switch Test, SCR UP then gives you Battery Alarm and Displayed Voltage, SCR Up then gives you Stick Centres ( Hex Codes), SCR Up then gives you Stick Calibration, use the CLEAR to save the data, use SELECT to select the stick being calibrated, SCR Up gives you "ALL Settings OK ? " press the CLEAR key for Yes.
-Hilgert

thanks.

smsodhi
10-31-2011, 06:48 AM
It will probably work for the radio as a whole.
Just out of interest what readings were you getting from the servo monitor?

smsodhi
10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
It may help to create a new model in the radio and check the servo monitor on that. This way you will have a pure model with no changes such as subtrim endpoints etc.
If your sticks are not zero on this you know you may need to recalibrate your radio

ReadyToCrash
10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
It may help to create a new model in the radio and check the servo monitor on that. This way you will have a pure model with no changes such as subtrim endpoints etc.
If your sticks are not zero on this you know you may need to recalibrate your radio

i'm so stupid i only did that after calibrating the radio.
fortunately when all sticks are in the middle, the servo monitor for the new model shows that everything is centered.
so, i think the radio is calibrated.
thanks a lot.

wifeorheli?
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Im wondering guys is this a must do update i finally got my heli flying great with 1.1. And are leons settings good like plug and fly as they were with the 1.1. His setting between 1.1 to 1.2 are drastic changes nothing alike.

Turttle
10-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Im wondering guys is this a must do update i finally got my heli flying great with 1.1. And are leons settings good like plug and fly as they were with the 1.1. His setting between 1.1 to 1.2 are drastic changes nothing alike.
The 1.2 update is still beeing tested.If your heli is flying the way you like it I wouldnt change a thing untill the new software is ready and listed on aligns download page.I am also using leons 1.1 settings with just a few minor changes to suite my helis set up.Leons settings are great.Still messing with the gains on the rudder.They just need to be lowered just time consuming while setting on the software.Does any one know how to center the rudder with out trims.I am using a 6 channel reciever and have my gains set in the gear channel.But when I switch from gyro to recievers gyro gain settings my trim changes.Do I half to trim using my receiver then when switching to the gyro do I half to go to the software offset setting or can it auto center like the futaba series.:cheers