PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove SR120 motor from cage?

Lompma
08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Going to change out my SR120 motor. May have fried it. I only have the motor and not the mount/cage. What is the best technique to get the motor out and to be able to reuse the cage? Any suggestions from peeps that have done it already?
Thanks

jim_stoll
08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I just run a small exacto blade around the edges of the little 'compartment' that they smeared the black goo in. Sometimes you need to slide the tip of the blade under the edges where the black goo is to break any bonding underneath, but you shouldn't need to get the blade all the way under - just under the edge. I usually try to scrape as much of the goo off as I can. If its still recalcitrant, take the largest diameter item that you have that will fit through the rear hole in the cage, making sure the little motor wires are out of the way (less of an issue if the motor is trashed, I guess :-) and push the motor out. It'll come out - I've done 3 so far and haven't had one that took more than a minute or so to get out. I've used Gorilla Glue and clear silicone when putting the new motor in. Just situate the motor where you like it in the cage (be sure the wires in the rear aren't getting pinched - there is one edge back there that is shallower than the others, and that's where you want the wires to exit), then put a *little* bit of the Gorilla glue along one of the cage edges and spread it along the edge, or a bit more silicone and let it dry.

Lompma
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jim. Exactly what I was looking for, someone that has done it before.
Thanks