PDA

View Full Version : Which frame: RKH, MH or Xtreme and why???

Pages : [1] 2 3

FUNBOSS
08-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm looking to eliminate the slop where the tail boom and frame meet (tried ca glue etc) and eliminate the canopy support breaks.

Any feedback or experience with any of the frames is appreciated :thumbup:

ValHeli
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I reinforced my canopy supports with epoxy (double bubble). I just built up on it from the base to about halfway of the support. I crash everyday, the latest one from about 60 ft.. my canopy supports are unbreakable.. as for everything else, that's a different story.. LOL

d12bn
08-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Give me some links and I'll pick one. I've seen RKH and plan to try their frame.

jim_stoll
08-12-2011, 10:36 PM
At last check, I think only the RKH frame is in production and available for purchase. Maybe that has changed in the past day or two. If not, there is something to be said for having something ready, vs still in dvelopment. :-)

CyberPlainsDrifter
08-13-2011, 02:48 AM
I ordered up an RKH frame and that was on the 27 th of July. Now we are well into the second week of August and still no sight of it. I emailed Mr rkh and I was informed that "due to customs issues in both Vietnam and USA, there was a delay in shipping your parts from Cusker USA...
I dont see why mr RKH couldnt have just shipped it directly to me.. I hate waiting like this.. and if it shows up in a UPS truck, Im gonna be PISSED! Anyway, How about themblueberries??

flybar-les
08-13-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm flying the RKH frame for a week now and i'm very pleased with it.

The tail is rock solid now since there is no flex in thz frame anymore !

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ampdraw
08-13-2011, 04:00 AM
Stock frame with 1mm cf spanning the front canopy posts, wrapped in thread and ca and then some heatshrink for looks.

Same again with the rear posts with two seperate pieces of cf and shrink. That's the only aspect of the stock frame that I think requires attention. Maybe two pieces of 1mm cf either side of the anti rotation as it flexes a bit.

Amp

brianp6621
08-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Stock frame with 1mm cf spanning the front canopy posts, wrapped in thread and ca and then some heatshrink for looks.

Same again with the rear posts with two seperate pieces of cf and shrink. That's the only aspect of the stock frame that I think requires attention. Maybe two pieces of 1mm cf either side of the anti rotation as it flexes a bit.

Amp

For me it was the canopy pins (as you addressed), the anti rotation bracket (as can be reinforced), the ability to fit a BL motor without weakening the frame, and a strong tail mount (the holes always stretched and I broke 2 mounts completely out of the stock frame)

Heli-Yeah!
08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Here is a pre-production rendering from Xtreme Productions. The frame is not yet available, and based on Xtreme's previous release teasers, there's no telling when they will get around to actually producing it.
246186http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtreme/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=9

The Microheli frame is available, but SOLD OUT everywhere at the moment. Despite being available for sale, there still have not been any real pictures released other than the rendering. I can't wait to see the real deal.
246187http://www.microheli.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/3_69/products_id/421/osCsid/223c65059b3a2bf221e78cbb8c81c4c0

I can personally attest to the quality, and durability of the RKH frame. This thing is great, with a well thought out design. It comes with integrated boom support mounts, even if you choose the frame w/o supports. Also now they offer the supports separately, so you can add them later if desired.
246188http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=61&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

FUNBOSS
08-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Here is a pre-production rendering from Xtreme Productions. The frame is not yet available, and based on Xtreme's previous release teasers, there's no telling when they will get around to actually producing it.
246186http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtreme/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=9

The Microheli frame is available, but SOLD OUT everywhere at the moment. Despite being available for sale, there still have not been any real pictures released other than the rendering. I can't wait to see the real deal.
246187http://www.microheli.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/3_69/products_id/421/osCsid/223c65059b3a2bf221e78cbb8c81c4c0

I can personally attest to the quality, and durability of the RKH frame. This thing is great, with a well thought out design. It comes with integrated boom support mounts, even if you choose the frame w/o supports. Also now they offer the supports separately, so you can add them later if desired.
246188http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=61&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I'm leaning towards the RKH as well, can anyone post a picture of the RKH frame without any servos etc attached?

Heli-Yeah!
08-14-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm leaning towards the RKH as well, can anyone post a picture of the RKH frame without any servos etc attached?

Here are the few I could find.

flybar-les
08-15-2011, 01:34 AM
We did a little mcpX funfly at a friends house the other day(7 mcpX's together mawning his lawn lol) and my heli had some very hard and weird crashes.

I broke some stuff except the RKH frame and mounts !

The RKH tailfin(that was a cool looking tailfin !) on the other side broke on the first crash :- (

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donaldsneffe
08-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Hi,

Here are the few I could find.

correct position of the board-mount is of course rectangular, made the pic you posted "wrong". Thats correct:

http://bilder.bilder-speicher.de/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame/rakonheli-frame-8/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame-11080323728658.jpg

Some more pics (the brown plates will be changed to servo boards later on):

http://bilder.bilder-speicher.de/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame/rakonheli-frame-6/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame-11080316320801.jpg

http://images2.bilder-speicher.de/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame/rakonheli-frame-7/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame-11080316838262.jpg

http://images2.bilder-speicher.de/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame/rakonheli-frame-11/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame-11080323497727.jpg

http://images2.bilder-speicher.de/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame/rakonheli-frame-12/rakonheli-mcp-x-frame-11080323187796.jpg

RKH frame is 0.36 g heavier than stock frame.

Good news:
Rakonheli will sell spare parts for the frame, they will start somewhen this week. Talked to them (chat yesterday) and asked for spares.

I did already have an issue with the frame. Broke the white plastic which is for board mount and mount for the anterior cf rod. This seems to be a weak point - because the cf rod is quite hard and and will transfer the energy which is taken by the canopy in a crash to the mount. Unfortunately a broken rod mounting means also broken board mounting, so the board is in skew position after that, not vertical any more -> no flight possible (gyro).
Repairing is easy, I did it with CA and epoxy, back in the air soon. But - in contrary to a broken canopy mounting rod in the original mCP x frame - you will have to repair it after a crash and cant fly without one missing canopy mount (what is no problem in the original frame).

I am glad they sell this part as spare, hopefully cheap. Guess metal instead of weak plastic would probably be the better solution for this part. A broken CF rod is not a problem at all - it is standard 1.5 mm CFK.
Asked the RKH guy in chat yesterday, he announced the spares for this week, and additionally he promised to send me a spare one for free today. I did not ask for a free one (wanted to buy it) - very nice, thanks RKH.
RKH seems to have a very good customer support similar to Horizon.

Guess Xtreme and Microheli frames are still not out yet (Xtreme frame was announced for late July ... :roll: ) - so probably no one will be able to compare the frames of those three companies today.

I am very satisfied with the RKH frame.
Mounting different BL motors is easy and comfortable; mounting servos is a little bit more tricky than mounting servos in the original frame.
Flight performance is very ok - do not feel any difference to the original frame. Canopy is fixed quite firmly; have sanded the end of the rods a little bit for easier mounting.
Mounting the tail tube/rod is much better than in the original mCP x frame - no twisting possible.

Walter

CX2Pilot
08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Donaldsneffe, I have the RKH frame on the way to me to test and review.
Can you circle the part you broke for me? I don't know what part you mean
by your description.

Have you crashed yet with the RKH frame? I would like to know how well it holds up in a crash and
especially how the tail boom mount holds up, does it bend or break?
And does the anti-rotation bracket bend in a crash?

Thanks.

Tom

Heli-Yeah!
08-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Donaldsneffe, I have the RKH frame on the way to me to test and review.
by your description.

Have you crashed yet with the RKH frame? I would like to know how well it holds up in a crash and
especially how the tail boom mount holds up, does it bend or break?

Thanks.

Tom

Looks like it's contagious. Isaac has broken his frame in the same place that Walter described.http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=330903

Mine has held up fine after many crashes:DOH, hope my luck lasts. But if not, it is reassuring that repair parts will be available if needed. I would hate to have to purchase the full frame just because a broke one little peice, but I love this frame upgrade so much, I would if that was my only choice.

I have bent my anti-rotation bracket once in a crash, but i just bent it back with no ill efects. I wish it was not part of the upper CNC bearing block, and was replaceable CF like the Microheli,or Xtreme frames represent in there photos.

donaldsneffe
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Tom,

by your description.

It was exactly the same position as in Isaacs frame, even on both sides:

http://bilder.toplist100.org/show.php?type=image_800&id=11081515137247&vary=1

Have you crashed yet with the RKH frame? I would like to know how well it holds up in a crash and especially how the tail boom mount holds up, does it bend or break?

Well, not often - 2 crashes, not hard ones. No further problem - tail boom seems no problem (have a 2 mm rod in this frame), because I even lost the tail motor with mount in a crash, but did not break the boom (donno, how this will be with my 2 mm tube tails yet...).

Walter

donaldsneffe
08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi,

Looks like it's contagious. Isaac has broken his frame in the same place that Walter described.http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=330903

Yea, did not see this post before.

But I am not totally sure, if that's the reason for breaking (the board), because I flew with canopy, the board should have been safe? ... but maybe Isaac is right.

CF rods did not break in my crash, only the plastic mounting part.
My first guess was, all the force that went into the canopy in the crash could have been transferred to the rods (they fit very firmly to the canopy grommets) and by them to the plastic mounting?
So I thought of replacing the rods against something not that hard (alu tube, soft plastic?) - and in a crash the soft material would bend or break and not the mounting. A rod could be replaced fast and easily after a crash.
What do you think?

Walter

cuzinit
08-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Good to hear the anti-rotation bracket did not break when you had to straighting it,I figured it would break right off and would end up being another mod.Don't know if anyone agrees with me but the extreme frame is sexy and i like that the servos are not having to support the frame and the CF AR bracket would be easy to replace or even make your self and not have to purchase one,although it probably want cost very much either

donaldsneffe
08-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi,

Don't know if anyone agrees with me but the extreme frame is sexy

I do not disagree - but to be honest:
I bought the first upgrade frame, that was available.
All of them (Rakonheli, Microheli, Xtreme) look quite good on the pics (which are/were no photographs, but renderings).
If the Xtreme one would have been the first available, I would have bought this one (anyway: announced release "end of July" ;) ), if the Microheli would have been the first one, I would have bought that; and because the Rakonheli frame was the first one available, I bought the Rakonheli frame.
And I like it, I think it is good and well made.
Additionally I like the service of Rakonheli. Yesterday they promised to send a free spare mounting to me (I did not ask for), today I got shipment notification. Thats really nice customer service.

I do not yet know (as all others) how good or bad the Xtreme frame will be.
I have and had quite a lot of Xtreme upgrades.
Some of them are really fine (4#3 skids, Solo Pro Swashplate, SP skids - even if one of mine did not work, some accessories like blade holder, tape, ...),
some are so lala (different SP rotor heads, brushed to brushless converter),
some are really crap IMO (CB100 metal blade grip, blade balancer, training gear 4g3, SP flybar, main gear for mCP x),
and some I did not fly enough with yet to give a statement (mCP x blade grips and rotor head).

So we'll see, to which group the frame will belong.
Cant judge a frame only by a rendering.

Walter

donaldsneffe
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
BTW:
Microheli frame seems to have a very similar mount:

http://51556034.de.strato-hosting.eu/shop/artikel/Microheli/MH-MCPX005.jpg

CX2Pilot
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi Walter,

Thanks for posting the picture for me.
I am thinking of a way to strengthen the piece so it doesn't break or to use
something else besides CF rod as canopy mounts that will break instead of the board mount.
I see Isaac has broken his also.
I hope RKH will fix this problem.

Heli-Yeah!

The anti-rotation bracket looks like it could bend easy in a crash where the plastic one will just bend.
It's good it bent back OK for you, but how many times can you do this before it gets weak or breaks from bending it back.
From the posts I have seen on the frame so far it looks like it holds up well in a crash (minus the board mount).
My other concern is how well does the tail boom mount hold up in a crash, does it bend or break?

I will have my frame this week to test and review.
Thanks guys for the information and picture.

Tom

zeeflyboy
08-15-2011, 01:54 PM
I think i'd rather that mount broke than the main board though!

Should be cheap enough if they start supplying spares - just order a few and have them on hand when required.

I'm still undecided on frames and still flying my standard frame, modified for brushless and missing one canopy support lol. Waiting for all 3 guys to show their finished products and then i'll decide.

400 flyer
08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
hi guys, i want to order the rakonheli frame but i cannot get on there site. can a few of you guys try getting on there site and let me know if you have any problom. im not sure if thay are haveing probloms or if its me.

Handsome Rob
08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
hi guys, i want to order the rakonheli frame but i cannot get on there site. can a few of you guys try getting on there site and let me know if you have any problom. im not sure if thay are haveing probloms or if its me.

The same. Its frequently quite slow to load too.

jim_stoll
08-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, their site seems to be either unreliable or underpowered. I haven't been able to hit it all day, and I've had the same problem numerous times in the past with their site.

They seem to have received a new shipment of frames, but if nobody can order them, its not much help! (I'm a bit of a geek, and I setup a script on a Unix server a few weeks back to ping the RKH site every 5 minutes and email me when the frames were no longer in an 'OUT OF STOCK' status. :-) - I got an email around 6am EST today, but was never able to actually get onto their site after receiving the notification. Luckily, I had a prior order in, but would have maybe bought another if I'd been able to get on.)