PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Setting Up Swash Plate Please?

Phreak Out
08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a DX7 and I'm making an honest effort to figure out the preliminary setup for the swash plate with a Thunder Tiger Mini Titan V2. This heli uses main grip control arms on leading edge of blades (image below).

REVERSING MENU
--------------
___THR___AIL___ELE___RUD___GEA___PIT___AUX___
____1_____2_____3_____4_____5_____6_____7___
____ _____X_____ _____X_____ _____ _____ ___
____X_____ _____X_____ _____X_____X_____X___

SWASH MIX MENU
--------------
AIL +50
ELE +50
PIT +50

With these settings, everything seems to work properly --except-- the collective pitch - the swash plate moves up when the stick moves up.

The cyclic seems to be good - looking at the heli from behind, stick right = swash tilts right, and stick up = swash tilting up in back, down in front.

I've tried everything I know to reverse the cyclic while keeping the swash "as is" but I'm clueless - have no idea how to fix this. I tried swapping the values in the swash mix menu - first I used -50 for ELEV, didn't work, then I put that back to +50 and tried -50 for both AILE and PIT - nope. :dontknow

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

DominicD
08-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Changing the polarity/sign of the pitch percentage in the swash menu HAS to work.

Phreak Out
08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Changing the polarity/sign of the pitch percentage in the swash menu HAS to work.

Thanks

I'll try it again . . . I hold my own among the most intellectually challenged . . .

Phreak Out
08-21-2011, 08:38 PM

YESSSS!!!

Mega-thanks!!!

:banana

twiggums
08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Haha i had the exact same problem when i was setting my heli up! And then after messing around with everything else a light finally came on that said "duh change the pitch curve".

DominicD
08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
You shouldn't be changing the pitch curve.

twiggums
08-22-2011, 08:45 PM
You shouldn't be changing the pitch curve.

wouldn't changing the pitch curve essentially do the same thing? (ie instead of 0,25,50,75,100 setting to 100,75,50,25,0 assuming 50 is 0 pitch).

edit: i do understand what you're saying and that does make more sense. I"m still a bit of a noob and had the same problem. i just changed my pitch curve and it solved the problem, however changing the polarity of the swash mix makes alot more sense now that i read over this again.

DominicD
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Just do it properly :)

twiggums
08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Just do it properly :)

lol i agree! :noteworthy and will be changing mine.

however it would have the same effect rite? lol sorry just trying to make sure i have an understanding of what is being accomplished by adjusting swash numbers. It'll just reverse the movement direction of the collective the same way it would by inverting the pitch curve correct? (assuming you just change polarity, not the actual number value)

DominicD
08-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes and no, some radios treat low stick different than high stick, and reversing the PC will negate that programming.

Phreak Out
08-25-2011, 08:03 PM
I think I must have done something wrong like I have something backwards?

Left stick high = + 7.5 degrees

Left stick middle = - 1.8 degrees

Left stick low = - 12 degrees

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

DominicD
08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Watch the CCPM vids.

http://helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=373271&postcount=1

newbheliusr
08-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Yep, lengthen your pitch links. Probably 2 full turns on each would be about right.

Phreak Out
08-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Watch the CCPM vids.

http://helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=373271&postcount=1

Thanks

Yep, lengthen your pitch links. Probably 2 full turns on each would be about right.

Thanks

Phreak Out
08-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Update --> I shortened each of the two links by two full turns & now I have zero pitch at mid stick and ~+/- 10.5 degrees at high and low stick.

I will begin looking at pitch & throttle curves next.

I reckon when I finish the radio & head setup, then tidy up the wiring and balance my blades, then it will be time to attach the training gear and head to the flying field - woo hoo!

Inverse
08-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Do you have a swash levelling tool?
If not, get one on order now, they are vital to a properly set up heli and for the few bucks they cost, they are well worth it.

Phreak Out
08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Do you have a swash levelling tool?
If not, get one on order now, they are vital to a properly set up heli and for the few bucks they cost, they are well worth it.

Yes, thanks - this heli came with a plastic one.

Phreak Out
08-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I have never gotten the heli this close to being "done" before.

I just finished programming the throttle and pitch curves.

Question #1 --> what's the typical position of the throttle hold switch: flipping the switch away deactivates or activates throttle hold? I believe throttle hold is setup properly but I think it might be reversed - I'd like to keep mine like everyone else's, of course.

Question #2 --> As a newbie should I change the Expo settings for the aileron & elevator so the stick input is somewhat less sensitive around center stick? The book I have doesn't list any expo settings.

Thanks

NCcraig
08-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I have never gotten the heli this close to being "done" before.

I just finished programming the throttle and pitch curves.

Question #1 --> what's the typical position of the throttle hold switch: flipping the switch away deactivates or activates throttle hold? I believe throttle hold is setup properly but I think it might be reversed - I'd like to keep mine like everyone else's, of course.

Question #2 --> As a newbie should I change the Expo settings for the aileron & elevator so the stick input is somewhat less sensitive around center stick? The book I have doesn't list any expo settings.

Thanks

Throttle hold on my radio is off in the "0" position and on in the "1" position. I thinks that is the way most are.

I'm still a newbie and I have around 20% expo on Aileron and Elevator. It's really what your comfortable with so experiment with it and figure out what is good for you.

Craig

j32driver
08-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks

I'm going to second what NCCraig said about the expo. I've flown it with zero expo. I found the heli to be extremely agile around center stick. I've updated to 20% expo on aileron, elevator, and rudder... and I find those settings much more liveable as a newb.

Phreak Out
08-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks NCcraig & j32driver

I'll set the elevator, aileron and rudder to +20% expo

I am anxious to use my blade balancing machine - another first for me as well.

Phreak Out
08-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Is it recommended to spool up the heli - with training gear attached - without blades? I am considering doing this in my backyard - I've seen videos where people have done it but I'm not sure if it's necessary or advantageous.

If this is an okay idea, it seems I might be able to check the following:(1) does it look like the collective and cyclic are doing what they are supposed to do
(2) does the gyro appear to be functioning correctly
(3) is the ESC operating as desired
(4) does the drivetrain work properly (belt tension, gear mesh, motor direction)

Thanks

GreenCello
08-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Everything you listed can be checked on the bench except the function of the ESC and you could do that when you open the throttle. Also you could easily over rev your motor and gear train without blades mounted. A good preflight of any aircraft includes checking the motion of all flight surfaces on the ground without power (in our case with Thottle Hold on).

Phreak Out
08-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Everything you listed can be checked on the bench except the function of the ESC and you could do that when you open the throttle. Also you could easily over rev your motor and gear train without blades mounted. A good preflight of any aircraft includes checking the motion of all flight surfaces on the ground without power (in our case with Thottle Hold on).

Thanks - I plan on spooling up, with the blades of course, Tuesday evening in the backyard. This is exciting.