PDA

View Full Version : Save your day with M1.4 x 12 screws

Picofly
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
So far I have broken a couple of 1.4mm blade grip screws in a crash. The only way to remove the remains of the screw is to drill them out with a 1mm drill bit- and they are PITA do drill out!

So I have replaced the stock screws with longer M1.4 x 12 socket head screws (or M1.4 x 16mm screws which I cut 3-4mm shorter afterwards). These are so much easier to replace if and when they break. 12 mm long screws are perfect for mounting the landing skids too. No worries about stripping the threads any more!

The third place where I use a longer screw is the main rotor hub. I have filed a small dent on a swash lock arm and use 2mm longer screw to fastern the hub. If the screw breaks I can remove it from the rear end. This mod has saved me one rotor hub already.

EDIT: Screws in my pictures are actually 13mm long because this time I have used 16mm long screws and cut them shorter.

zeeflyboy
09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
You have different blade grip balls to me...

Mine are all one piece with a hole to insert a thin rod or hex key to tighten the ball.

Picture says a thousand words and all that, so here's the link http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/?p=8308

Yours looks like a good solution for that type of ball though! I hate ruining perfectly good parts because a screw shears off and can't be extracted!

Picofly
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
You have different blade grip balls to me...

Mine are all one piece with a hole to insert a thin rod or hex key to tighten the ball.

Picture says a thousand words and all that, so here's the link http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/?p=8308

Yours looks like a good solution for that type of ball though! I hate ruining perfectly good parts because a screw shears off and can't be extracted!

I had those X2 flybarless grips until the link ball broke in a recent crash (see the pic). I thought that they should be quite durable but It wasn't even a bad crash because the spindle shaft and plastic links remained intact. Even if I would manage to drill out the remains of the screw there is no spare link balls available and my FES grips are pretty much useless now. So, I am back with the flybared grips again. At least they are repairable...

I hope that Gaui would relase spare link balls / link ball extension screw for FES grips soon!

fusionsx00
09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
i have the one peice screw/ball

Way better than the 200 fes grip balls.
its smaller, not socket head.
It has the screw/spacer/ball with stand., I was bending them in flight.

but this gives me a good idea to fix the 200 grip balls

Picofly
09-10-2011, 05:16 AM
i have the one peice screw/ball

Way better than the 200 fes grip balls.
its smaller, not socket head.
It has the screw/spacer/ball with stand., I was bending them in flight.

I agree. X2 FES grips are really nice - until the screw / ball breaks. Mine was broken in a crash last Monday:mad:. It is bad, because Gaui does not sell balls/screws without the blade grips. If one ball breaks one has to replace the whole grip set. In my case the grips are perfectly fine. They didn't get damaged in the crash but they are useless without the broken ball/screw...

The third place where I use longer screws (M1.4x8 instead of M1.4x6) is here:

adam crosby
09-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Where can you buy the screws?

milliotseb
09-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Yep I would have the same question. I found one seller in germany (12 euros for 25 screews)

Picofly
09-10-2011, 12:56 PM
You can serach for 'M1,4x12 DIN 912'.

My last patch of screws came from this place. Unfortunately their shipping rates are quite expensive but I asked them to send the screws in an ordinary envelope:

http://www.screwsandmore.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=m1%2C4x12&osCsid=onvqvvjgwogtqww

Here is another one:

http://www.yatego.com/screwsandmore/p,4cdad42e7ad3b,4cd28947b52767_3,zylinderkopfschra uben-din-912-a2-m1-4

I have ordered M1,4 screws form some cheaper place before but I don't remember where I found them!

fusionsx00
09-11-2011, 03:34 AM
i need to do that on my wash out arms.

I think I might go with the way your doing it.

Its a pain to remove screws snapped off flush.

I do have 3the sets of 255 fes grips, and 200 fes grips
im doing the jesus bolt like that right away.

Thunder Fighter
09-11-2011, 05:05 AM
The Jesus bolt is the one I have had trouble with, after the head came off the first one I have been using a longer bolt there so I can screw it out. I think the stock screws are pretty weak, I haven't been over tightening it but the head comes off easily.

//Dennis.

fusionsx00
09-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Its like there crome plated brass,

The x4 yoke has the best gaui fes design I have seen

The washout arms and jesus bolts are on diffrent sides of the yoke
Brilliant design.

My x5 might be using the x4 head if its tall enough.

P.I.Engineer
09-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Picofly,

I have both of these issues, i bent both the balls, and i sheared off my jesus bolt.

where do you get that spacer setup for the blade grips? Or do you have to by the older 255 grips for it?

Picofly
09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Picofly,

I have both of these issues, i bent both the balls, and i sheared off my jesus bolt.

where do you get that spacer setup for the blade grips? Or do you have to by the older 255 grips for it?

I am sorry for your heli because those tiny screws are PITA to remove if they break.

My blade grips are designed for flybared rotor head (part no. 207036) and spacers are EP200 / 255 flybarless rotor head spacers (part no. 207410). Please note that 1.4 mm screws don't fit into FES grips because screw holes are bigger. The diameter is 1.6 mm if I remember it right.

You should be able to make link ball extensions from a M1.6x12 screw and brass tube if you drill hole in the link ball a little bit wider or use a Trex 250 link ball which is designed for a 1.5mm screw.

As far as I know there is no perfect solution to this issue because Gaui does not sell spare grips/balls for the X2 FES blade grips :arggg:. I have even tried a Trex 250 linkball extension in my FES blade grip after I bent the original ball but it didn't work out because diameter of the screw does not match.

EDIT: I just realized that those spacers in my picture came from an old Microheli FBL rotor head. I have FES spacers in my EP200.

P.I.Engineer
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
looks like i'll be bending my balls back into shape.

my next real task is to figure out to get the little piece of jesus bolt out.

i need to new blades too, i want the same X2 gaui's but they're out of stock everywhere.

guess i'll just have to be patient with this bird. Flys like a champ though, except for that belt.

Picofly
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
First you could heat the the hub to loosen the Loctite and then drill the the broken bit with a 1.0mm drill bit. It is quite difficult. Most likely you will break one or two drill bits before the screw is out. You may damage the grips quite easily as well. My succes rate has been less than 50%.

These blades are a bargain if you are ready to sand the roots a little bit thinner. The blades look different in the real life than in the image. There is just a narrow black stripe on the top of the blade, just like in HDX 255 blades:

http://helidirect.com/255-frp-main-blades-blade-cpcp2-p-13363.hdx

pas2knut
09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
my next real task is to figure out to get the little piece of jesus bolt out.

I was able to use a modified version of fusionsx00 (http://www.helifreak.com/member.php?u=116781) welding to get the piece of jesus bolt out. I took a piece of linkage and solder it to the jesus bolt. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then just twisted it out with pliers.

P.I.Engineer
09-27-2011, 08:28 PM
that's a good idea, i was gonna try to glue something to it. I really don't wnat to have to buy a new headblock just for that

P.I.Engineer
09-28-2011, 12:18 AM
soldering worked!!, thanks for the really good idea

fusionsx00
09-28-2011, 12:58 AM
I need to write up a post for that, good to hear you got the baby jesus screw out,
Or what was left of it.

pas2knut
09-28-2011, 05:54 AM
soldering worked!!, thanks for the really good idea
:thumbup:

P.I.Engineer
09-28-2011, 09:19 AM
i had my weller cranked up to 75(don't know what the scale is) with a really fine tip. I made a solder blod on the bolt, then flow/sunk in the linkage. Took 2 tries, but i got it out.