PDA

View Full Version : 500 EFL PRO Super Combo Build Thread (Vbar)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

rotaryguy
09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks again for all the great comments - I am anxious to get more posted but its been really busy with work and family and I do not want to rush it. Besides, honestly I am in no real big hurry to fly anyway as I love building! I do have most of the electronics installed, wired and photos taken but I still have to get them off the camera, uploaded, create the post, etc, etc...I hope to get some of it up tomorrow, followed by vbar setup after so stay tuned!

Teaser shot...

erni66
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Vbar setup?!! I wana see that!! This is the best build thread that I ever see!! I almost done with mine!! Thank u Rotaryguy for ur help!!!:cheers

davehour
09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Spence,

Below are a couple of pictures of my 500EFL Pro.

I did the maiden flight this past weekend. Flew it 4 times. Found the boom was moving out of the frames with everything tightened well. I do have the pirouetting speed lightning fast.

Very impressed! The heli feels smoooooooooth and quiet. The 500EFL Pro flies on rails and is very powerful with the included gear. Tail holds great and although I'm using the Align ESC without governor, the heli was flying as it was governed. Smooth, predictable and very agile. More agile than my great 600EFL Pro.

Giving a quick comparison to the ESP, with the same motor, the Pro feels more predictable, less affected by wind, and more responsive.

I'm using a BeastX. I used the inner holes of the servo horns instead of the outer holes as called by the Manual and was able to reach a proper setup with blue lights.

The recommended link lengths given in the Manual were dead on, and to my surprise, the cyclic servos with the metal servo horns, centered with little or no sub-trim (contrary to the 600EFL Pro Align servos using the metal servo horns).

Mods that I've done so far are:

1. Installed screws in the upper gyro mount because it had play on the frames, and needed the mount to be well secured because it's used for the BeastX.

2. Pinned the boom because it was moving out of the frames. Was it due to the fast lightning pyros I did, or because the frames don't clamp the boom well? We'll see as other start to fly theirs 500EFL Pro's.

Regards,

David

Eckchaz
09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice.. How come you aint got the carbon boom installed?? Dont tell me it dont fit now i've ordered that aswell!!

rotaryguy
09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice.. How come you aint got the carbon boom installed?? Dont tell me it dont fit now i've ordered that aswell!!

CF boom fits just fine. Its actually carbon wrapped over aluminum like the larger booms.

davehour
09-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I didn't install one because I don't like them, LOL.

J/K.

Didn't think about it at first glance, but wish I did. It does look nice!

davehour
09-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Let me mention a couple of things I miss from the 500ESP. Take them into consideration at the time you build yours:

1. Frame width is now 34mm, rather than 39mm. This means the Ice 75 ESC won't fit at the front of the heli. The Ice can be installed at the side of the frame in the Pro but it doesn't look neat there as when the ESC is concealed at the front.

2. Motor wires location. Now it's practically impossible to disconnect the motor wires from the ESC wires if you opt to mount the ESC at the recommended location in the Pro. I believe it's important to have easy access to the motor and ESC wires so they can be disconnected easily when maintenance or setup are performed. To disconnect the motor wires from the ESC wires, you have to remove the battery tray and run the wires above the front frame cross member. If you run the wires below the cross member, you won't be able to gain access to the wires to disconnect them at all due to the fact the frame width is now smaller.

David

rotaryguy
09-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I posted the majority of the electronics installation on the first page.
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=3234601&postcount=6
More to come, stay tuned!

Lighty
09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
< Newbie here who has a question, the top bearing block.. the writing is facing down. Is that correct? On ny 500 ESP both bearing blocks have the writing facing up..

Have I mounted my the wrong way?

cheers

rotaryguy
09-20-2011, 11:30 PM
< Newbie here who has a question, the top bearing block.. the writing is facing down. Is that correct? On ny 500 ESP both bearing blocks have the writing facing up..

Have I mounted my the wrong way?

cheers

The writing faces each other, or inward on both. Top block text faces down, bottom block text faces up.

smaze17
09-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Can't thank you enough rotaryguy :noteworthy

I just went thru every single photo again and am looking forward more than ever to put mine together ;)

I will be doing a Beastx with one remote receiver so I get to keep it neat and tidy as well :thumbup:

S

kdfi
09-21-2011, 01:57 AM
can't wait to see how you setup v-bar pro. I just can't dial it in. Too much pitch moved the balls in. Pitch is ok but now I have trouble with binding and thats with the cyclic ring @60.

miron
09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks a lot :thumbup:
I'll wait for new posts.

rotaryguy
09-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Working on setting up the vbar.
Notice to vbar users, don’t even attempt the outer hole in the servo horns even though the manual clearly says to, you won’t be anywhere close to the recommended ranges for collective and cyclic. Even when using the inner holes you still end up below the suggested range for both. I have some ideas as I had the same exact issue with the 600 Pro I posted a simple solution for, but I may take a different approach here if I can get the parts I need.
I would imagine uBeast users will have similar issues.
Working on a better solution, stay tuned.

Wh1teAfr1can
09-22-2011, 10:56 AM
will the new slant gear fit in the old 500esp? does it have the same center to fit the old one way bearing? might upgrade if i get the chance once stores start stocking replacement parts.

davehour
09-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Rotaryguy,

I'm using the BeastX and yes, I did use the inner holes. The setup went ok.

Never tried the outer holes.

David

Notice to vbar users, donít even attempt the outer hole in the servo horns even though the manual clearly says to, you wonít be anywhere close to the recommended ranges for collective and cyclic.

davehour
09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm really sorry an Ice ESC doesn't fit at the front of the heli, as the stock ESC does. I don't like how the Ice looks when installed at the side of the frame.

David

rotaryguy
09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
will the new slant gear fit in the old 500esp? does it have the same center to fit the old one way bearing? might upgrade if i get the chance once stores start stocking replacement parts.

The description would indicate it is compatible, The Pro center hub that is.
http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_72_125&products_id=4054

Wh1teAfr1can
09-22-2011, 11:19 AM
The description would indicate it is compatible, The Pro center hub that is.
http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_72_125&products_id=4054

oh nice thats awesome guess i will be switching to a slant gear soon means my headspeed will come down because the gearing ratio is different but it should still work well.

looks like all the gears are listed as compatible with e and esp which is awesome!

Deet
09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
oh nice thats awesome guess i will be switching to a slant gear soon means my headspeed will come down because the gearing ratio is different but it should still work well.

looks like all the gears are listed as compatible with e and esp which is awesome!

No the headspeed should go up.

My concern will be what happens to the tail speed if you do so. Will you need to also go to the new auto gear,and TT front gear as well to get the tail to hold.

rotaryguy
09-22-2011, 06:59 PM
If you use the new main gear, and govern to ~ 2800-2900 the original tail gears should do just fine if you have everything balanced well.
But if you plan to run a flat 100% TC (~3200) you should then use the new tail gears to slow the tail rotor down a little.

Ktmheli
09-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Notice to vbar users, donít even attempt the outer hole in the servo horns even though the manual clearly says to, you wonít be anywhere close to the recommended ranges for collective and cyclic. Even when using the inner holes you still end up below the suggested range for both. I have some ideas as I had the same exact issue with the 600 Pro I posted a simple solution for, but I may take a different approach here if I can get the parts I need.

Rotaryguy,

If using the 3GX must a person use the inner or outer holes of the horn?

rotaryguy
09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Inner holes as a general rule will give better resolution with any FBL system. That said the choice is yours but I can say both vbar and uBeast users are reporting the outer holes should NOT be used, inner holes are the best bet so far.

Eckchaz
09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Mines nearly finished.. just got to sort the electrics out and set up the Beastx...

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l205/eckchaz/DSC02344.jpg

I had non of the minor gripes you had however I hate the way the esc sits underneath the battery tray.. it says dont use Zip ties (not that I do) but it gives holes for it.. also its a bit tight for velcro and no slots for it unless I dremel some.. then theres the PITA way of sorting the wires just for the esc.. if it comes through the top like yours, the lipo wires are very awkward.. so will need a patch cable. Also not 100% sure on clamping the ESC down as the Lipo straps are running across its face of it.. I think I might mount the esc on the side like my ESP dispite not being so tidy!

rotaryguy
09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
While testing an alternate set of horns with a slighly closer ball spacing I ran in to a problem I have faced in the past, I had forgotten just what a huge PITA removing these aluminum horns from metal geared servos was!
So I came up with a simple but VERY effective solution, posted in the main heli talk forum here...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=342424