PDA

View Full Version : Stonger flybar rods

Steve Joblin
09-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Seems that every time I have the slightest crash, I am always bending the flybar rod. Not that it is a big deal as new ones don't cost that much, but I wonder why they don't use a stronger spring steel (a.k.a. music wire) to allow them to bend on impact, but then spring back to straigt.

McMaster-Carr, for example, has 1 foot long 0.059" Spring-Temper Carbon Steel Rods (100 Qty) for $11.23 http://www.mcmaster.com/#8907k62

Is there a reason that no one uses this type of material for flybar rods? It seems that all flybar rods are always made from "bend and stay" aluminum... what am I missing?

pinguin
09-25-2011, 03:02 AM
I wonder the same thing

JoeW
09-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I wonder why you don't pick up some rod, and a die, and try it out and let us know :)

I'm sure there's some logic in the choice, perhaps the action of bending is absorbing energy, or it's just to make you buy another set of flybar rods at $4.00 a set.

Steve Joblin
09-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I wonder why you don't pick up some rod, and a die, and try it out and let us know :)

Because experimentation without research first is a very dangerous and often costly approach.

I will pick some up and give it a try, but I wanted to do some research first to see if anyone else had insights and experience that I could learn from first.

ahahn
09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Don't know for sure, but it is hard (= impossible) to thread a hardened rod--like music wire. You would need to heat up the ends and let then slowly cool, then you could use a die (now I bet you could buy a lot of flybars for the cost of that die!). Then after threading you could heat treat the end to temper it, but that takes some effort.

My guess is that the companies decided it isn't worth the extra steps. In a fast stop, even a music wire flybar is liable to bend where it exits the flybar cage. And you really can't bend music wire back, without risking it snapping off.

Like I said, just guessing!:dontknow

dhawks
09-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Another thing to consider is that if you strenghten a part, (in this case the flybar) you just transfer the crash energy to next weakest part. If you have a flybar rod that wont bend in a crash, odds are that you are going to tear up something more expensive and difficult to replace.

Steve Joblin
09-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Excellent point dhawks! I thought about that and wondered if bending of the rod in a crash would absorb the energy, but then it would spring back.

skysynergy
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Another thing to consider is that if you strenghten a part, (in this case the flybar) you just transfer the crash energy to next weakest part. If you have a flybar rod that wont bend in a crash, odds are that you are going to tear up something more expensive and difficult to replace.

Totally agree! In this case, weak is good. You could always go FBL ;-)

FYI - I just bend mine back into place...this is assuming you didn't bend the heck out of it. In that case, I'd install a new one.