PDA

View Full Version : Installing the CC ICE75 In The T-rex 500EFL Pro

Pages : [1] 2

davehour
09-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi guys,

I got an Ice75 that I want to install at the front of the heli, inside the frames.

The new 500 Pro frame is 35mm wide vs the 500ESP which is 39mm. Due to the 500 Pro frame being narrower, it's not possible to install the Ice75 horizontally or flat inside the frames, as can be done in the 500ESP frames.

I went today and studied different possible ways to install the Ice75 in the 500 Pro. I'm attaching a picture of one possible way to install it. The picture was taken to SHOW where the ESC will be located--the stock ESC is still there :). The battery tray plus all the wires will be concealed and properly assembled. Just concentrate on the ESC placement. For this specific installation, the front cross member has to be relocated to open space for the Ice75.

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

David

Larry227
09-26-2011, 12:10 AM
If that is the final install I wouldn't have it like that on mine. One good nose-in crash and it could be wasted. I would strap it to the side where it would look better, get better airflow, better distribute it's weight and be less prone to crash damage. But that's just me.

flerpie
09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
That's the orientation I used to mount my ICE50 in my 450pro.
My eye will be on ESC temperature. There's definately less cooling
available when it's under the lipo tray but it will probibly be within tolerance.

Why is the lipo tray decombubulated? Is that the front cross-member
you speak of? You had to raise it like that to get the ESC to fit?
If so....wow...that just looks too sucky. I'd have to move it
because of that.

smaze17
09-26-2011, 02:00 AM
How about on the side under the main gear? There's even slots there for the velcro.

That's where I plan to mount mine ;)

S

davehour
09-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Guys,

The picture was taken to SHOW where the ESC will be located--the stock ESC is still there :) The battery tray plus all the wires will be concealed when properly assembled. I apologize I didn't make me clear enough in the description.

I'm looking to have an appearance similar to the one had when using stock ESC, where you have the wires concealed and invisible when the canopy is on.

The side installation is safer and easier to do, but I don't like to see the battery nor the motor wires running on the frame sides. The appearance of the heli is affected much. The Ice 75 is bulky and look strange installed there.

I really like how the heli looks in the OEM box.

David

davehour
09-26-2011, 04:24 PM
So, what do you think then ;),

flerpie
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Cleanliness is next to Godliness...go for it but keep a sharp eye out
on the ESC temperature.

davehour
09-26-2011, 05:07 PM
The ESC temp shouldn't be a problem with the cutout the canopy has.

David

flerpie
09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I'll do anything to not put a CC100 on the outside of the frame.
Any electronics - it all needs to be hidden and protected.

Some bring up that a nose crash might kill your ESC. Very true.
Weigh your options and take your chances and do what you're comfortable with.

davehour
09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
I spoke to a CC guy and asked him if I can remove the plastic housing from the Ice 75. He first said it shouldn't be removed but if I really needed to remove it, I could do so and use zip ties or strong tape to keep the ESC compressed. Without the plastic housing, the Ice 75 can be installed right below the battery tray.

David

davehour
09-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Lets get this straight:

The reason I'm trying to use the Castle Ice is because of its autorotation bailout function. Other than that, the Align ESC works very well even without the governing function. I don't know if any of you have flown the 500EFL Pro with the Align ESC, but let me tell you I like it very much and the headspeed keep under control throughout the flight, as it was governed. I'm really impressed about this fact.

I like the 500EFL Pro as much as the 600EFL Pro. Nice helis. Simply buy, build and fly helis! I'm enjoying them very much.

And yes, the mCPX is awesome! :happyd

David

rotaryguy
09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Vbar has that feature built in :)
As far as ice threshold temps, an engineer there once told me the solder fails before the chips/fets. True, dunno.

smaze17
09-27-2011, 01:05 AM
There is absolutely no reason to take the heatsink off the ICE 75. If you wanna do that just get the ICE Lite 75 ;)

I actually prefer mounting the ESC on the side of the frame but to each his own :lol:

S

Larry227
09-27-2011, 01:12 AM
There is absolutely no reason to take the heatsink off the ICE 75. If you wanna do that just get the ICE Lite 75 ;)

I actually prefer mounting the ESC on the side of the frame but to each his own :lol:

S

He's not taking the heatsink off, just considering removing the plastic housing.
It should fit fine under the tray without the housing. Make sure you check your COG though.

JohnDoe.
09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
I am running my ice 75 with the case in the same location just drilled some holes and bolted it down.

hndaluvr
09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
You asked for opinions?...
I think the whole thing is ridiculous!
Prior to getting my new 500EFL, i was chompin-at-the-bit to get a CC Ice Lite or Kontron Koby for this build. After doing the build and flying the stock ESC I'm now super glad that i DIDN'T spend the money. Just like you had mentioned above, the stock ESC works beautifully! :thumbup:
If you want bail-out, just set your hold to like... 5% then upon "bail" it'll spool, to to whatever you had it at before, instantly!
I know you've already made the investment, but based on the CCs apparent girth, it's clear that full-size Ice75 is NOT a good option for this kit.
Everyone take note...

Chris Sexton
09-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Prior to getting my new 500EFL, i was chompin-at-the-bit to get a CC Ice Lite or Kontron Koby for this build. After doing the build and flying the stock ESC I'm now super glad that i DIDN'T spend the money. Just like you had mentioned above, the stock ESC works beautifully! :thumbup:
If you want bail-out, just set your hold to like... 5% then upon "bail" it'll spool, to to whatever you had it at before, instantly!
I know you've already made the investment, but based on the CCs apparent girth, it's clear that full-size Ice75 is NOT a good option for this kit.
Everyone take note...

I agree the stock ESC is plenty for this bird. My only complaint, other than no real gov mode, is the spool up rate is set to crazy fast. If you use a throttle curve to simulate bail out, you are going to strip main gears and crash any way. i tried it on the ground, spooled up, hit hold let the blades slow then flipped off hold, the heli torqued so badly it spun around once and almost fell over the gyro jumped so hard. The blades instantly returned to full speed. Not a good idea to do this often. If I were trying to learn auto's, which I am not ready for yet, I would deal with the esc being on the side and run a CC too. I would NOT try and use the stock esc and fake bail out.

smaze17
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Everyone take note...

While I agree that the stock ESC works beautifully, I disagree that the ICE 75 is not a good option for this heli. Just because the unit doesn't fit under the battery tray doesn't mean it's not a good option.

I have absolutely nothing against the stock ESC. Used one on my 550e and it worked flawlessly. But the Castle's governor and logging make it superior to the Align ESC IMHO.

S

Larry227
09-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Stock ESC and Vbar governor FTW :peace

davehour
09-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the discussion. I wanted to know everyone's opinion. Feel free to express whatever your thoughts are.

As far as the investment made, I can still return the Ice because I haven't used it. And that's why I posted this question, so you help me decide what to do.

No doubt great and knowledgeable people are in this site ;).

Take care.

David

rotaryguy
09-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Stock ESC and Vbar governor FTW :peace
+1.
I do really like the CC logging but the performance gained using stock or hobbywing ESC's with the vbar governor FAR outweighs that ability, or lack of it with stock/HW in my opinion.
Let us know what you end up doing to mount it if you keep it.

504Rone
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the discussion. I wanted to know everyone's opinion. Feel free to express whatever your thoughts are.

As far as the investment made, I can still return the Ice because I haven't used it. And that's why I posted this question, so you help me decide what to do.

No doubt great and knowledgeable people are in this site ;).

Take care.

David
Did you ever get it mounted?

davehour
10-17-2011, 12:16 PM
No I didn't. I returned it and kept the Align one.

NOW that Know how the 500EFL Pro CG varies using different packs sizes from 2500 to 3000, I consider the best position to mount the ESC in the 500EFL Pro is on the side of the frame right at the main shaft position. But the installation won't look as good as the stock way. It will look even worst with the Ice75 as it's bulkier and larger than the Align ESC.

The reason for this is the 500EFL Pro tendency is to be nose heavy whereas the 500ESP is to be tail heavy. The 500ESP benefits from mounting the ESC at the front.

David

smaze17
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I actually have no problem mounting my ICE 75 on the frame right below the main gear. Don't think it looks ugly at all plus the cooling is obviously better there. But to each his own I guess ;)

I can see how some guys wouldn't like it positioned here, though.

S

504Rone
02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
I managed to get a ice 100 in stock location without the plastic castle started putting on the escs. It tight and I have to spread the frames to get it in there but it works.