Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default An Unqualified Early Review of the Genius CP.

I just received my Genius CP two days ago. It's a nice looking little heli. It's a bit lighter than the mCP X and looks smaller. It sits lower than the mCP X, but it's almost the same overall length. The blades are nearly the same length as the mCP X's, but they are narrower (less chord).

I would not have ordered this heli if I didn't already have a Walkera 2801 PRO transmitter. I got the 2801 for my 4G6 and then I used it for my M120D01. I found a link to some official Walkera 2801 settings for the Genius. I'm using these settings rather than Tom Z's suggested settings posted on RC Groups.

There is a little switch on the main board that selects either 6 axis mode or 3 axis mode. If you just want to fly around happily upright, then 6 axis mode is reasonably stable. Not as stable as an mCP X, though. If you want to flip it (fly 3D), then it must be in 3 axis mode. If you try to flip it in 6 axis mode, it will fight you and crash. In 3 axis mode it is much less stable than an mCP X. It reminds me of my old Novus CP (4G3) when in this mode. It would be a bit of a handful for a novice.

The great thing about the mCP X is its stability. You don't have to flip any switches on the receiver if you want to fly it "3D". The mCP X is almost as stable inverted as it is upright. When I was flying the Genius off the floor in the living room last night, I noticed that it is very susceptible to ground effect. It would hunt and wander about like my old Novus CP, so that is not saying much. Very disappointing.

Outside, it's fun when in 6 axis mode. It was kind of windy and it was still quite controllable (but not as good as the mCP X). It feels a bit wimpy, especially towards the last half of the battery charge. Batteries are only 15C. mCP X wins again.

I haven't seen many videos from new owners or amateur reviewers like myself. Perhaps because it's too new and one of the least anticipated new helis from Walkera. There was one guy with a video of the Genius with a brushless motor doing amazing stuff, but he's probably a ringer for Walkera. The rest of the new owners are likely still trying to figure out how to set up the Genius properly with their WK 2801, since the BNF versions ship with the manual for the DEVO transmitters. The box and the manual are beautiful, but offer no assistance to those with a 2801 transmitter.

I would like to recommend this heli, but I can't. I was hoping that it would be an mCP X killer, but it isn't. I should have known better, but it's still a Walkera through and through.

If you already have a Walkera transmitter (2801), and are desperate for something new, then give it a try if you have money to waste. If you already have an mCP X, then forget it. If you are thinking that this should be your first Walkera, then shoot yourself.

If you want a capable CP heli in this small form, then get an mCP X. Parts and upgrades will be widely and locally available. Not so with the Genius.

I will update this review as I gain more experience with it. Perhaps some videos too.

Oh, and I almost forgot: It doesn't piro as well as the mCP X (slower) and the battery doesn't fit securely within the battery tray (it tends to slip out when flying). Should you have to tape the battery in place to make sure that it doesn't fling out when doing 3D? I guess so.
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dad and I are getting the same impression. I am so far disappointed in this helicopter. We did get it flyable, but it's no where near the beauty of the MCPX. I'm thinking of sending it back and see if I can get the 4F200LM instead.

They say it's a very durable helicopter, and we crashed it against a post in our basement. It popped the top servo mount off and the rear servos came undone. The battery mounting system sucks as the battery pops out and hangs. I fixed the helicopter, but it looks like the canopy rod needs to be CA'ed into place as it also seems to hold the top servo mount into place too.

I'm getting more tempted to ship it back to WOW Hobbies and ask for store credit. If they'll take it back.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the review, u just save me some $$$. Love the heck out of my mcpx's but the vids looked good and liked the extra durability, and love to try new stuff. Almost pulled the trigger, but will hold off now. It will be hard to beat the mcpx, especially just went brushless.
stormfan69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow what a contrasting review - there must be at least 30 people who have the genius on the RCG forum and virtually all of them are full of praise for it - the one who did the review on there Tom Z is probably the most critical.

at least 10 have the MCP X and Genius and the overwhelming majority are saying the genius is better in most aspects - if you don't like it Varc I would put it for sale on RCG it will be snapped up in no time.
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfan69 View Post
Thanks for the review, u just save me some $$$. Love the heck out of my mcpx's but the vids looked good and liked the extra durability, and love to try new stuff. Almost pulled the trigger, but will hold off now. It will be hard to beat the mcpx, especially just went brushless.
Not to gainsay the personal experience and opinions of the OP, but I would remark that it is unwise to base any purchase decision on the strength of any one review or opinion of another.

I have both the mcpx and the Genius, and my own personal experience, as well as the impression I am getting from surveying a large number of independent assessments as they come in, is that the Genius is better than the mcpx on flight duration, on toughness, on ease of return to flight following a crash. It is lighter, I find it hovers as easy, but is more responsive to sticks, and in general, is a more fun heli to fly than the mcpx, especially since the tail does not blow out, at least in the 'sport flying' I do, whereas the mcpx was very iffy under all but the mildest of conditions for a tail blow out.

Also, the enclosed servos might not be perfect, but I doubt they will have the issues of the open long throw servos we have all suffered with on the mcpx.

Over time, with the wealth of posts on the mcpx, illustrated the capabilities and also the weaknesses of that awesome little heli. Yet there was always a voice who had a different personal view or experience than the main. And that's as it should be! But again, I'd gather up a lot of the most broad spectrum of opinions I could before I passed judgement. I've certainly now made my own first hand decision, based on both experience and the early data, and to me it's a no brainer, unless the wheels unexpectedly fall off all at once: the mcpx is much-beloved and for good reason, and was also first in this niche. So kudos to HH and to the little heli that could.

But IMHO, the Genius has moved the mark and wins in just about every category that counts.
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both helis and the Genius is the winner in my eyes.

It does seem though, that the 2801 users may be having issues as the heli is not set up properly. i fly mine on Devo 6 and it works awesome.
Razors is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-thumbs View Post
I just received my Genius CP two days ago. It's a nice looking little heli. It's a bit lighter than the mCP X and looks smaller. It sits lower than the mCP X, but it's almost the same overall length. The blades are nearly the same length as the mCP X's, but they are narrower (less chord).

I would not have ordered this heli if I didn't already have a Walkera 2801 PRO transmitter. I got the 2801 for my 4G6 and then I used it for my M120D01. I found a link to some official Walkera 2801 settings for the Genius. I'm using these settings rather than Tom Z's suggested settings posted on RC Groups.

There is a little switch on the main board that selects either 6 axis mode or 3 axis mode. If you just want to fly around happily upright, then 6 axis mode is reasonably stable. Not as stable as an mCP X, though. If you want to flip it (fly 3D), then it must be in 3 axis mode. If you try to flip it in 6 axis mode, it will fight you and crash. In 3 axis mode it is much less stable than an mCP X. It reminds me of my old Novus CP (4G3) when in this mode. It would be a bit of a handful for a novice.

The great thing about the mCP X is its stability. You don't have to flip any switches on the receiver if you want to fly it "3D". The mCP X is almost as stable inverted as it is upright. When I was flying the Genius off the floor in the living room last night, I noticed that it is very susceptible to ground effect. It would hunt and wander about like my old Novus CP, so that is not saying much. Very disappointing.

Outside, it's fun when in 6 axis mode. It was kind of windy and it was still quite controllable (but not as good as the mCP X). It feels a bit wimpy, especially towards the last half of the battery charge. Batteries are only 15C. mCP X wins again.

I haven't seen many videos from new owners or amateur reviewers like myself. Perhaps because it's too new and one of the least anticipated new helis from Walkera. There was one guy with a video of the Genius with a brushless motor doing amazing stuff, but he's probably a ringer for Walkera. The rest of the new owners are likely still trying to figure out how to set up the Genius properly with their WK 2801, since the BNF versions ship with the manual for the DEVO transmitters. The box and the manual are beautiful, but offer no assistance to those with a 2801 transmitter.

I would like to recommend this heli, but I can't. I was hoping that it would be an mCP X killer, but it isn't. I should have known better, but it's still a Walkera through and through.

If you already have a Walkera transmitter (2801), and are desperate for something new, then give it a try if you have money to waste. If you already have an mCP X, then forget it. If you are thinking that this should be your first Walkera, then shoot yourself.

If you want a capable CP heli in this small form, then get an mCP X. Parts and upgrades will be widely and locally available. Not so with the Genius.

I will update this review as I gain more experience with it. Perhaps some videos too.

Oh, and I almost forgot: It doesn't piro as well as the mCP X (slower) and the battery doesn't fit securely within the battery tray (it tends to slip out when flying). Should you have to tape the battery in place to make sure that it doesn't fling out when doing 3D? I guess so.
A lot of your faults with the Genius are kind of silly.....you have your transmitter setup to fly only one way with the thing. If it feels squirelly you can setup dual rates or turn down the servo extents I mean there's WAY more adjustability and if you can't get the heli to be just as stable as a mcpx, if not more, then you are doing something wrong.

I have flown a mcpx that wasn't setup well and it didn't feel stable either.

About upgrades, how do you know there won't be any upgrades avail? If a lot of people buy this heli i can almost guarantee there will be upgrades. Just like the solo pro has upgrades. I'm sorry but you seem to have given a very biased review without really giving the thing a fair shake. I mean you even called it out on the stock batteries. Genius can fly longer on that same little battery than a mcpx can on it's stock battery and you can buy larger capacity batteries as well. How about you keep flying the Genius for a few weeks and then give an update?
pmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Are you guys flipping it, and flying inverted? Let's see some videos. This is all conjecture, so far.
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm...I have both and I have the complete opposite opinion as you. Lets tear your post apart shall we

We well mostly know that 6axis doesnt work as advertised. But i have never used 6 axis so no comment on it.

To me the 3 axis is actually more stable then the MCPX. I can actually get it to hover hands off for 5-8 seconds. I never got the MCPX to hover well.

Cant comment on inverted flight, iam not there yet.

For ground effect is true but my MCPX flew that way also! If i wanted something for the floor though, i would of gotten a CAR!

15c batts? really? Did you know you can change those?!

Did you know it is soo much easer to BL this bird then the MCPX? CHEAPER also

How many links have you lost with both birds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
That's not right that you are blaming yourself.. Call HH and see if they can send you some flying skills free.. And ask them to send me some also..
scar308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We're going to try the Genius more this weekend and see if we can't get her going properly. I think Dad said he almost had it last night when it tripped over a piece of metal grill we had laying on the floor. I really would like to get this bird flying like the MCPX is.
As I look at the two, I can see where the Genius is more durable and when it crashed, nothing really broke at all. Just that the servos popped off because the canopy rod wasn't inserted into the holes that lock the servo cap on.
One thing I do NOT like about the Genius is how the landing gear is molded into the frame. Which means, if you break the landing gear, you have to replace the entire frame instead of the gear. I'm hoping an upgraded frame and landing gear kit will be made for this helicopter. It would be nice to simply replace the landing gear when needed.
Also, the battery tray doesn't really hold the battery in place all that well. So if a new frame/landing gear is made, it needs to lock the battery in place as well.

I'm not going to give up on the little bird just yet. I do want to fly the hell out of it and I hope we can get it to behave.

The reason I went with the 2801, is because I've already got several Walkera helicopters that I totally love, and I wanted the M120 as well.

Does the Genius really NEED any upgrades? Probably not. But it would be nice to have replaceable landing gears and possibly even a brighter canopy.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
We're going to try the Genius more this weekend and see if we can't get her going properly.

I'm not going to give up on the little bird just yet. I do want to fly the hell out of it and I hope we can get it to behave.
What exactly is it not doing, that you want it to do?
tracknoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

HURRRRAY! We finally got it! We took the bird outside, and it actually flew! I'm going to have to fly it more often to see how it compares with my MCPX, but I'm just happy we finally got it to fly properly. This one just might be the beater I've been looking for as I care too much about my heavily modded MCPX.

I also wanted to add something I noticed between the two birds. The MCPX still has a problem maintaining a steady altitude, the Genius seems to stay level pretty well as it did not jump up and down like the MCPX can.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
HURRRRAY! We finally got it! We took the bird outside, and it actually flew! I'm going to have to fly it more often to see how it compares with my MCPX, but I'm just happy we finally got it to fly properly. This one just might be the beater I've been looking for as I care too much about my heavily modded MCPX.

I also wanted to add something I noticed between the two birds. The MCPX still has a problem maintaining a steady altitude, the Genius seems to stay level pretty well as it did not jump up and down like the MCPX can.
So what was the symptom and the fix?

Rafa
Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, the symptom was we just weren't getting it to fly properly. The fix was the settings provided by Tom.
However, we still can't get the stability promised by the the 6-axis system. We're getting closer to being happy with the bird, but we're not there yet!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you define what you mean by "stability" ?

What exactly are you seeing? Do you mean it is just twitchy (really sensitive to control inputs), or is it making uncommanded movements?

I had the pleasure of seeing a Genius CP fly today, and it literally hovered hands off...
4G6, mCPX, mCPXBL, nCPX, mSR, mCX
Gadflyii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
I had the pleasure of seeing a Genius CP fly today, and it literally hovered hands off...
We have not yet seen the "hands-off" ability of this thing. But it is less twitchy than it was.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
A lot of your faults with the Genius are kind of silly.....you have your transmitter setup to fly only one way with the thing. If it feels squirelly you can setup dual rates or turn down the servo extents I mean there's WAY more adjustability and if you can't get the heli to be just as stable as a mcpx, if not more, then you are doing something wrong.

I have flown a mcpx that wasn't setup well and it didn't feel stable either.

About upgrades, how do you know there won't be any upgrades avail? If a lot of people buy this heli i can almost guarantee there will be upgrades. Just like the solo pro has upgrades. I'm sorry but you seem to have given a very biased review without really giving the thing a fair shake. I mean you even called it out on the stock batteries. Genius can fly longer on that same little battery than a mcpx can on it's stock battery and you can buy larger capacity batteries as well. How about you keep flying the Genius for a few weeks and then give an update?
Although I know that All Thumbs is entirely capable of defending his own positions, I know he's been flying Walkera stuff from the beginning and has been posting his thoughts and positions in this forum routinely.

He's obviously able to think logically and deductively and present his ideas in that fashion. Given his Walkera experiences, I was happy to see him present his thoughts on the Genius CP since I was considering purchase as well. He's inclined to be a little more "real world" in his posts and doesn't necessarily get into the "Rah! Rah!" syndrome with every new Walkera introduction......................since Walkera has a history of introducing "innovative" but not yet fully developed helis to the market.

One of the primary reasons I just purchased my M120D01 was because of his thoughts on this heli in conjunction with the 2801 "2.2". He was able to clarify the ability of the heli to work with the "2.2" rather than the 2.3 version of the 2801 Tx and "Vronny" had good experiences with the heli as well.

Bottom line, it's easy to get caught up in the fanfare of a new heli introduction, make the purchase and then find out that the heli is something less than you expected and in the nano market, both E-Flite and Walkera alike have had their "product introduction" issues. I just bought a new B450 a couple months back and that product introduction was "delayed" but anticipated with much fanfare. You would think that given E-Flite's initial but significant issues with blade roots, holders etc. with the MCPx, the B450 would have had a fairly flawless introduction but that wasn't necessarily true. There were immediate issues with tail control (that may or may not be chronic and related to the gyro) and it appears as though many guys have been burning up their motors and bearings prematurely...........still significant issues.

So I'm happy to see All Thumbs deliver a frank assessment of a new product. Given his considerable Walkera experiences over the years, I've found his assessments to be pretty practical and well presented.
Mikey2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-thumbs View Post

I was very impressed with Tom Z's review he handled it like you would handle being a witness in a court case he told the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth - when you omit half the truth its tantamount to telling lies.

Good point on the battery

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

To Mikey2,

I understand what ya and please understand I am not caught up in Walkera hoopla at all, I have only owned one of their Heli's and i don't fall for the fanboi stuff but. The mcpx had a lot of issues also when first introduced and with a few mods it was truly able to shine. The Genius is SO new and SO adjustable that all i was saying is that this review was based on limited experience with the heli and I was only saying give it a little more time and and tuning then please do a follow up.
pmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MCPX -V- Genius

I'm on my second MCPX so hundreds of flights, and I now have half a dozen flights on the Genius.

Initial thoughts, Genius is just as tough and may in fact survive crashes better than the MCPX.

Genius is just as stable, a bit quieter and the Genius's TAIL HOLDS BETTER in hard fast manoevours!! In general flight they feel about the same, in speed, servo reaction time, power etc.

So far I have only used it with my 2603 Tx that I have from a V400D02, and I've flown it stock, but had to reverse the elevator. The 2603 only has a DR switch which reduces the sero travel a lot (50%) and Idon't think and you can change expo (maybe you can but it is fine as is). The 2603 also has an Idle Up switch and you need to have the heli 10 foot off the ground when you flick this as it drops down 5 foot instantly. I will set up the 2801 pro Tx that I have, but the genius is fine on the 2603 for those of you out there that may only have the 2603.

One downside for the Genius is that visually it is hard to focus on with a dark background given its canopy's dark colouring and I lost orientation a few times. Also I've found that on each lift off so far it has turned around to me nose in, just a bit of a querk until the tail comes up to speed I guess.

A worthy addition to the fleet if you have a compatible Walkera Tx, if not I would just stick with the MCPX.

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in