PDA

View Full Version : Walkera genius or blade mpcx

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Varc
10-30-2011, 10:04 AM
i don't know about the regular mcpx blades but i'm flying the kbdd ones and they work great.

Thanks for the info! Good to know for project.

jbroen
10-30-2011, 09:46 PM
I wandered into a hobby shop two and a half months ago and purchased an mCX2. I've since recognized how much fun these things are. I'm currently exclusively flying the mCPx and I have to say that most of the nits expressed in the 11 pages of posts aren't relevant to what I'm going through as a noob. The mCPx is a wonderful piece of technology that is enabling me to make great strides in my RC heli flying skills. I sure the Genius is a wonderful piece of technology that would allow me to make great strides with my RC heli flying skills. My biggest challenge is training my brain not to zig when I should be zagging. I crash. A lot. Having a couple of shops within a fifteen minute drive with lots of spare parts has definitely helped move things along. I can break something, go the the LHS for a replacement, go home and break something else all in the same day. I've even purchased a second mCPx to reduce trips to LHS. Having to purchase online would slow things down to be sure. For me any differences in technology are secondary to differences in the availability of local parts and support.

DocD
10-31-2011, 10:30 AM
I wandered into a hobby shop two and a half months ago and purchased an mCX2. I've since recognized how much fun these things are. I'm currently exclusively flying the mCPx and I have to say that most of the nits expressed in the 11 pages of posts aren't relevant to what I'm going through as a noob. The mCPx is a wonderful piece of technology that is enabling me to make great strides in my RC heli flying skills. I sure the Genius is a wonderful piece of technology that would allow me to make great strides with my RC heli flying skills. My biggest challenge is training my brain not to zig when I should be zagging. I crash. A lot. Having a couple of shops within a fifteen minute drive with lots of spare parts has definitely helped move things along. I can break something, go the the LHS for a replacement, go home and break something else all in the same day. I've even purchased a second mCPx to reduce trips to LHS. Having to purchase online would slow things down to be sure. For me any differences in technology are secondary to differences in the availability of local parts and support.

That is great for you :thumbup: Just remember not all of us have the luxury of a good model shop on our doorstep, many of us actually find it easier to order parts on the Internet and just sign for a parcel a few days later, If every body was in your position where they could always find just what they wanted "Easily" in the local shop then there would be an Internet shopping industry, yet the Internet shopping industry is growing exponentially, which tends to suggest more people are i my position nowadays than are in yours.

Regards David

buster7467
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Exactly right. The nearest hobby shop to me is over 45 miles away and they don't sale heli parts. If it was not for being able to order online parts, i would not be in this hobby. It is my only option.

turboomni
11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Well I am sure the Genius must have some good points ,,but because I don't own one I will never know.
Parts maybe a problem ,,warranty may be a hassle But from my one big expensive experience with Walkera I will NEVER buy another product from them again,,,no matter what the latest hype is. I bought a Walkera 4G6 and it was the biggest disappointment of any heli product I have ever experienced. The fancy "cheap" TX was a surprise as it was better than I would have guessed for the money,,but the bird was bird poop. After about 550 bucks of purchase and upgrades it was still poop...
My MCPX was a dream come true in this sized heli. The second flight I was inverted no problem. The Walkera was vibrating like mad even though I balanced everything,,,massive slop in the swash ,,the bird was a disaster.
I will never buy another Walkera product again.

torch8
11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Been reading this post and still can't decide on Mcpx / Genius. Currently I'm already lfying Mcpx, Gaui 200 FBL, M120d01 and V450d01. Was interested in Genius to practice inverts, roll and flips. Don't want to be learning it on my bigger heli.

Sold my Mcpx after damaging what I think was a problem with its system board.

I was not able to practice invert, roll and flips on my mcpx with stock (probably pilot skills and weak version 1 tail) but the heli is really durable and great in the wind. I wanted to try the Genius, but does not want to mess with actual servos, linkages, POTS settings. Also the fact that you have to change whole frame if landing skids is damage.

So I am back at weighting my options. I'm not a noobie cp flyer but wanted small durable heli to practice 3D. Which one help me decides? I have both dx6i and wk-2801 Pro.

Finless
11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
From a flight performance point of view I am shinning toward the Genius. It flips and roll faster etc.I have both and am very happy with both! The MCPx is far more stable and is very predictable in it's flight characteristics. The Genius is less predictable but that is the trade off if you want faster cyclic. The gyros and FBL software of the MCPx is better in my opinion in this area. The Genius has some quirks in how it fly's BUT again the Genius is damn fun for doing a little more than the MCPx.

As far as durability I think they are about the same. You can break stuff in a crash on the MCPx like canopy pins off the frame, the boom, etc, etc. Genius breaks stuff too just different stuff. Only thing I do not like about what breaks on the Genius is the landing gear as it is part of the frame. For both the MCPx and the Genius there are "user" fixes that people do when they break stuff. Bottom line both are very crashable ;) I I have crashed mine many times and am just as happy with it as my MCPx from a durability point of view.

As people pointed out already, Genius is not BNF and thus you will have to buy a Walkera radio. I have to say the Devo 6 is pretty impressive and is small and compact which is perfect for a grab and go heli you can keep in a small case with the radio. Don't let the Devo 6 and it's toy appearance fool you! The sticks feel good for what it is and even with it's small size, with my very large hands I like how it feels. The software and touch screen ROCKS! Don't get me wrong tough, this is not a radio you would want to use for larger helis and I will probably only use it on the Genius.
BUT this is a problem for many who do not want another radio and have Spektrum already. As I said the Devo 6 is a perfect match for this size heli as a compact grab an go but it is an investment you have to make to fly a Genius. Walkera would be far more competitive with the MCPx if they had a BNF spektrum version of the Genius.

My 3 cents.... And I guess I used a 1 foot pole ;)

Bob

DocD
11-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Been reading this post and still can't decide on Mcpx / Genius. Currently I'm already lfying Mcpx, Gaui 200 FBL, M120d01 and V450d01. Was interested in Genius to practice inverts, roll and flips. Don't want to be learning it on my bigger heli.

Sold my Mcpx after damaging what I think was a problem with its system board.

I was not able to practice invert, roll and flips on my mcpx with stock (probably pilot skills and weak version 1 tail) but the heli is really durable and great in the wind. I wanted to try the Genius, but does not want to mess with actual servos, linkages, POTS settings. Also the fact that you have to change whole frame if landing skids is damage.

So I am back at weighting my options. I'm not a noobie cp flyer but wanted small durable heli to practice 3D. Which one help me decides? I have both dx6i and wk-2801 Pro.

On RCG they are talking about mobile phones, koi carp and other things on the genius thread, I suppose you can only say it flys great so many times and very little real adjustment is required, now you can say the adjustment pots on the Genius are a + or a - depending on your outlook.

Maybe if the MCP X had of had adjustment pots you may have had more chance of tailoring it to your needs for 3D.

Regards David

torch8
11-17-2011, 02:47 PM
From a flight performance point of view I am shinning toward the Genius. It flips and roll faster etc.I have both and am very happy with both! The MCPx is far more stable and is very predictable in it's flight characteristics. The Genius is less predictable but that is the trade off if you want faster cyclic. The gyros and FBL software of the MCPx is better in my opinion in this area. The Genius has some quirks in how it fly's BUT again the Genius is damn fun for doing a little more than the MCPx.

As far as durability I think they are about the same. You can break stuff in a crash on the MCPx like canopy pins off the frame, the boom, etc, etc. Genius breaks stuff too just different stuff. Only thing I do not like about what breaks on the Genius is the landing gear as it is part of the frame. For both the MCPx and the Genius there are "user" fixes that people do when they break stuff. Bottom line both are very crashable ;) I I have crashed mine many times and am just as happy with it as my MCPx from a durability point of view.

As people pointed out already, Genius is not BNF and thus you will have to buy a Walkera radio. I have to say the Devo 6 is pretty impressive and is small and compact which is perfect for a grab and go heli you can keep in a small case with the radio. Don't let the Devo 6 and it's toy appearance fool you! The sticks feel good for what it is and even with it's small size, with my very large hands I like how it feels. The software and touch screen ROCKS! Don't get me wrong tough, this is not a radio you would want to use for larger helis and I will probably only use it on the Genius.
BUT this is a problem for many who do not want another radio and have Spektrum already. As I said the Devo 6 is a perfect match for this size heli as a compact grab an go but it is an investment you have to make to fly a Genius. Walkera would be far more competitive with the MCPx if they had a BNF spektrum version of the Genius.

My 3 cents.... And I guess I used a 1 foot pole ;)

Bob

Thanks Bob!

torch8
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
On RCG they are talking about mobile phones, koi carp and other things on the genius thread, I suppose you can only say it flys great so many times and very little real adjustment is required, now you can say the adjustment pots on the Genius are a + or a - depending on your outlook.

Maybe if the MCP X had of had adjustment pots you may have had more chance of tailoring it to your needs for 3D.

Regards David

That's great that they got other things to talk about :lol:

Fogot to ask feedbacks on Genius wind handling. If the Mcpx 3-axis gyro is indeed better, than that's one of weaker side of Genius?

DocD
11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
That's great that they got other things to talk about :lol:

Fogot to ask feedbacks on Genius wind handling. If the Mcpx 3-axis gyro is indeed better, than that's one of weaker side of Genius?

No the three axis on the genius is great, Bob in his video commented on how well the Genius will flip etc compared to the MCP X, both are good heli's but the feedback you get from most of the people who have both is the genius is better. But you are better reading up on the Genius on RCG where there are a large community of genius fliers, there seems to be a lot of negativity about it on here.

Regards David

Nytflyer
11-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree David seems kind of weird to me that no one over here is really talking about the genius. I have both the mcpx and genius and if I had to choose between the two it would be really hard for me.

But, I have only had my genius for about a month and have had the mcpx since the day it hit LHS in the US. I have converted my mcpx to brushless months ago and absolutely love the power and accuracy of that bird. It is so stable. I never ever thought about doing flips or rolls with any heli until I got the mcpx. It has really tought me alot.

But, now that the winter weather is coming I heard all the hype about the genius over on RCG and I also liked the new devo tx so I just had to have one to fly indoors during winter. I will upgrade it to brushless but not until the spring. I love the devo 6 tx that I have and the genius flies great. Reminds me alot of the mcpx the way it flys.

Like I said hard for me to choose. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong either way. Especially if you already have a DX6i and a 2801.

f.a.r.m.e.r
11-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Walkera Genius Cp IMO is a much better heli when it comes to performance.

stock: genius has more power and flips rolls faster and better then the mcpx, it has better servos that are easy to change out, the 3axis is amazing on this bird it dont jump in the wind like the mcpx, the tail dont blow out as bad as the mcpx ect ect I can go on and on.. Genius Rocks :thumbup:

C05 Brushless: Mcpx needs a 120 sr tail to compete with the genius, the genius only.needs a tail blade change

HP05: Will have to wait and see.

If the mcpx is so great then why so many mod's?

looking through every mcpx threads mods and pics vids extra, the only mcpx part most people have left on their heli is the Rx, rotor, main gear and servos, its hardly a mcpx anymore.

but yeah its so much better right? :D

heres me test flying leo's rx before I sent it back to him mounted on my stock genius, stock brushed motor stock lipo just like it comes out the box :thumbup: its not a powerhouse but it flys circles around my mcpx imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UEFMB2s4K8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

btw I was never a walkera fan until I opened the box of my genius and flew it for the first time :D

mcpx owners have to make up for their crappy tail gyro by adding a heavy 120 sr tail

my genius only needed a tailblade

some newbies that buy the genius need to get honest and admit they crashed the heck out of it rather then blaming the heli thats what I see going on around here alot thats why im on rcg most the time, get honest people! post video's of your claims :whip:D

happy holidays :thumbup:

Dave

Btw hi leo hope your enjoying your genius :D

And hi david you trouble maker :whip hope your enjoying youd genius to :D

DocD
11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Walkera Genius Cp IMO is a much better heli when it comes to performance.

stock: genius has more power and flips rolls faster and better then the mcpx, it has better servos that are easy to change out, the 3axis is amazing on this bird it dont jump in the wind like the mcpx, the tail dont blow out as bad as the mcpx ect ect I can go on and on.. Genius Rocks :thumbup:

C05 Brushless: Mcpx needs a 120 sr tail to compete with the genius, the genius only.needs a tail blade change

HP05: Will have to wait and see.

If the mcpx is so great then why so many mod's?

looking through every mcpx threads mods and pics vids extra, the only mcpx part most people have left on their heli is the Rx, rotor, main gear and servos, its hardly a mcpx anymore.

but yeah its so much better right? :D

heres me test flying leo's rx before I sent it back to him mounted on my stock genius, stock brushed motor stock lipo just like it comes out the box :thumbup: its not a powerhouse but it flys circles around my mcpx imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UEFMB2s4K8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

btw I was never a walkera fan until I opened the box of my genius and flew it for the first time :D

mcpx owners have to make up for their crappy tail gyro by adding a heavy 120 sr tail

my genius only needed a tailblade

some newbies that buy the genius need to get honest and admit they crashed the heck out of it rather then blaming the heli thats what I see going on around here alot thats why im on rcg most the time, get honest people! post video's of your claims :whip:D

happy holidays :thumbup:

Dave

Btw hi leo hope your enjoying your genius :D

And hi david you trouble maker :whip hope your enjoying youd genius to :D

What first all thumbs tells me to regard his A$$ then you calling little ol me a trouble maker, I have never heard such infamy :wow2:

Infamy infamy they've all got it infamy :rotf

Regards David

FlyingFiz
11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Update from my earlier views and review.

I'm a big fan of both of these helis and they both have their pros and cons.

But I have noticed a few more glitches with the Genius than the MCPX, I have now had in mid flight two servos on the Genius zip to one extreme of their throw and lock up. I had to replace both of them, no biggie but a pain and a total cost of $28. Also the Genius is a bit more prone to querky flight characteristics, sometimes it doesn't quite react how you would expect, sometimes a bit faster or slower or more extreme or it doesn't hold a true heading in a smooth turn, whereas the MCPX has none of these little oddities.

And the greatest pain for me recently on the Genius was that the flimsy little tail stabiliser, that wraps around the tail motor and is then the tail support. It broke and I decided to replace it, well, to get it off you have to remove the tail motor, no drama you think, done that plenty of times on the MCPX, WRONG, on the Genius the tail wiring is such that if you remove the motor the wires break off. You are then faced with the worlds smallest soldering job, and if the blob of solder is as big as a pin head, that's too big, it won't fit back though the hole where the tail boom slots into the tail housing stabiliser. I'm certain I can't manage that so I'm thinking of waving one of those thin streams of hot glue (that are usually annoying residue) over the wires and hope that does for a soldering job.

The MCPX tail is just a pull out old & plug in new, the Genius requires the fine motor skills of a brain surgeon to restore it to how it was. And one of those surgeons huge lights and magnifying glasses would be handy tools as well.

I think I'll be giving up the Genius and sticking with the MCPX, sure the Genius has a stronger tail and is quicker etc, but one of the reasons you buy one of these little indestructable helis is that they don't have much down time and you don't have long and drawn out repair sessions, tick to the MCPX, Fail to the Genuis.

torch8
11-21-2011, 10:56 PM
So its always back to performance vs durablity. Leaning back on the mcpx now after reading flyingfiz explanations on the little soldering work. I want to learn fly 3d, more than fixing another heli. I got enough to work on (V450d01 and Gaui 200).

Rafa's helis
11-22-2011, 01:33 AM
You could just buy the complete tail assembly for ~$10 from 00models or hobby one. There's your plug and play tail, no soldering needed.

Rafa

But I have noticed a few more glitches with the Genius than the MCPX, I have now had in mid flight two servos on the Genius zip to one extreme of their throw and lock up. I had to replace both of them, no biggie but a pain and a total cost of $28. Also the Genius is a bit more prone to querky flight characteristics, sometimes it doesn't quite react how you would expect, sometimes a bit faster or slower or more extreme or it doesn't hold a true heading in a smooth turn, whereas the MCPX has none of these little oddities.

And the greatest pain for me recently on the Genius was that the flimsy little tail stabiliser, that wraps around the tail motor and is then the tail support. It broke and I decided to replace it, well, to get it off you have to remove the tail motor, no drama you think, done that plenty of times on the MCPX, WRONG, on the Genius the tail wiring is such that if you remove the motor the wires break off. You are then faced with the worlds smallest soldering job, and if the blob of solder is as big as a pin head, that's too big, it won't fit back though the hole where the tail boom slots into the tail housing stabiliser. I'm certain I can't manage that so I'm thinking of waving one of those thin streams of hot glue (that are usually annoying residue) over the wires and hope that does for a soldering job.

The MCPX tail is just a pull out old & plug in new, the Genius requires the fine motor skills of a brain surgeon to restore it to how it was. And one of those surgeons huge lights and magnifying glasses would be handy tools as well.

I think I'll be giving up the Genius and sticking with the MCPX, sure the Genius has a stronger tail and is quicker etc, but one of the reasons you buy one of these little indestructable helis is that they don't have much down time and you don't have long and drawn out repair sessions, tick to the MCPX, Fail to the Genuis.

DocD
11-22-2011, 08:12 AM

Yes as Rafa says you can get plug and play tails for the Genius if you wish to but most of us are happy to save a few $$ by just replacing the part that has gone rather than the whole tail assembly, just to give a more balanced view of the pros and cons between these two great models here are some of the cons regularly discussed on the MCPX's threads like the flying off blades,, tails that don't hold, needing to use O rings to stop the shakes, having to get the grit out of the servo gears, having to keep taking apart for cleaning the servos, not being able to get replacement parts for months,, swash balls breaking off, links flying off with every little crash, having to re-seat the main gear after every little crash canopy pins breaking off, landing gear pins breaking off, battery wire coming off the board.

Both good models Fiz but neither of them perfect :quotes so lets not pretend otherwise :cheers

Regards David

f.a.r.m.e.r
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Classic example of why I dont spend much time on this forum :bs

So you basicly saying that the fact that you obviously unwillingly admitting your soldering skill's are not that polished, is the heli's fault?

Either way you go mcpx or genius lets not forget these are (COLLECTIVE PITCH HELI'S) and require a certain skill set to fly and or setup.

Btw like rafa and doc said they sell the complete tail no soldering required for $11.95 wowhobbies has them in stock.

how much is the mcpx tail? 14.95? :D

blah blah blah

Dave

xs4reak
11-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Last post of TS: 10-13-2011. I guess he ran off and decided to buy Esky :rotf

This topic looks like Christians and Muslims trying to convince each other to change religion. :face

Genius or MCPX: it's just a matter of taste and personal perference. Period.

Silver-techie
11-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Just flip a coin... if it land on heads... mcpx. Tails... genius.

Or the best 2 out of 3.

Or... just buy a 700 goblin and use a shrink ray gun. :face . o O (okay we can't do dat yet)

FlyingFiz
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info on the complete tail unit, I will definitely buy one. When I bought all my spares that wasn't available.

And yes, I agree there are lots of little cons associated with the MCPX, but despite it's average tail holding abilities I find that absence that, it flies in a more predictable fashion than the Genius and I suspect that is to do with the MCPX having a superior 3G unit. Dont get me wrong I enjoy flying the Genius and having got the settings right in the Tx it can be a very strong performer.

And I can solder with the best of them, but I just couldn't be stuffed spending an entire evening attempting to solder together two wire strands not much thicker than a human hair, and then having to slot those two joins through the 1.5mm square opening of the tail stabiliser. But now I have my $11.95 fix.

FlyingFiz
11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
What's the betting on Align coming out with a MCPX / Genius challenger.

Just as they did for the Blade MSR, I assume they are frantically attempting to have one out by Christmas,

Align 100CP anyone?

Not sure what their little fixed pitch 100 was like but they should be able to put together a reasonable cp heli. But maybe they are too late already.

f.a.r.m.e.r
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info on the complete tail unit, I will definitely buy one. When I bought all my spares that wasn't available.

And yes, I agree there are lots of little cons associated with the MCPX, but despite it's average tail holding abilities I find that absence that, it flies in a more predictable fashion than the Genius and I suspect that is to do with the MCPX having a superior 3G unit. Dont get me wrong I enjoy flying the Genius and having got the settings right in the Tx it can be a very strong performer.

And I can solder with the best of them, but I just couldn't be stuffed spending an entire evening attempting to solder together two wire strands not much thicker than a human hair, and then having to slot those two joins through the 1.5mm square opening of the tail stabiliser. But now I have my $11.95 fix.

with the best if them?

genius 3g is far much better. so is the tail gyro on the 3g why do you think the tail holds better? :D

show a video of this querky behaver your genius is doing :thumbup:

stock or brushles genius out classes the mcpx hope horizon has a new heli in the works :D

btw blah blah blah all talk no video :D

hope they kick me out this forum :bs

lying noobz :whip :rotf

Nytflyer
11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
with the best if them?

genius 3g is far much better. so is the tail gyro on the 3g why do you think the tail holds better? :D

show a video of this querky behaver your genius is doing :thumbup:

stock or brushles genius out classes the mcpx hope horizon has a new heli in the works :D

btw blah blah blah all talk no video :D

hope they kick me out this forum :bs

lying noobz :whip :rotf

Lmao Dave please say what is on your mind :rotf