PDA

View Full Version : Flight Times down to 1 min and loose power

jdheli
04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I am going crazy.. around 1 minute into flight with my recent purchase of the V2 i notice that power starts to drop.. If I keep going it will start bogging down.. the temp of the motor and battery are unreal.. I am using the 12T pinion.. tried serveral batteries dont know what the issue might be.. tail belt is fine.. main gear is fine.. I have been thinking of getting a new motor. Do you think this is a good idea? What else can I check?

rdlohr
04-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Something sounds way wrong. Does everything spin freely or is there binding?

Rick

Skiddz
04-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Gear mesh, belt tension, blade pitch.. Make sure everything is free to rotate.. Double check all your solder connections. A cold (dull grey) or cracked joint will introduce resistance into the circuit and cause the motor to pull more amps to keep spinning. Low headspeed and high pitch will heat things up in a hurry as well.

What C rating are your batteries? The 450V2 comes with the XL motor and 15C batts don't have the discharge rate to run it that pinion. I can't use my TP2100 15C batts on my V@, but they work just fine on my "old" SE with the 430L motor. I've got to run at least 20C batteries on the V2..

jdheli
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Everything mechanically looks fine. I was thinking of re-soldering the connectors. I am using the battery that came with the kit and also some FP EVO's should I hsould be fine.

Should I even try swaping out the motor?

kgfly
04-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Check your ESC settings. Has the timing or switching rate been changed ?

jdheli
04-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Check your ESC settings. Has the timing or switching rate been changed ?

Checked that and reprogramed. I have it at 1,2,2,2,3 now.

kgfly
04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
the temp of the motor and battery are unreal I presume you mean very hot ? What motor and what ESC (I am guessing 430XL and BL35X but facts are better than guesses) ?

Checked that and reprogramed. I have it at 1,2,2,2,3 now.

So that is:

1 - brake off
2 - mid timing
2 - mid LVC voltage
2 - Heli 1 (soft start)
3 - Quick throttle response

Is that different to what it was before ? You could try lowering the LVC to 3 = Low cutoff voltage but that won't fix your heat problem so really something else must be wrong.

If you belt tension is loose and your gear mesh is OK (spun by hand CCW it will spin for at least 2.5 turns) then it seems that either:
* Your batteries are not fully charged (can you check them with a DVM or on someone else's charger ?)
* Your ESC is faulty
* Your motor is faulty

Pinecone
05-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Sounds like maybe a bad charger?

Acrodave
05-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Pinecone beat me to it ...... I'd bet the charger. Logically, it would take an average draw of, about 120 amps to draw a battery down in one minute :shock: . That would blow the ESC bigtime. One bad battery, perhaps, but this happens with more than one battery, so the battery isn't the likely problem.

Any chance that you have the charger set to 2 cells, rather than 3 ? If that is the case, then you may have damaged the pack(s) with discharging them too low (this is possible in any case), so I wouldn't continue to use different batteries until you figure out what is wrong.

Pack voltage is the key indicator ..... check it as it comes off of the charger, and it should be, around, 12.5 volts (assuming a 3 cell pack).

Dave

Efliernz
05-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Can you borrow someones ESC and swap for a flight???

I'm wondering if the timing is really screwed-up.

The motor is really hot, as is the battery but the peformance isn't ballistic. The power is being wasted - it is not going into power (performance) but going into heat. If the batteries were damaged/faulty due to a charging error/fault, the motor wouldn't be hot - "unreal" temperatures. Just a thought from a geek...

jdheli
05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I couldnt try anything since this week I had to travel for work. I am now back. I have two ESC that I have tried and replaced the motor, another 430XL. It is now back to normal flight time but it still doesnt seem right. Motor and batter very hot again. Could it be a timing issue? Should I try low timing?

Thanks,
David.