PDA

View Full Version : Eflite Aluminum Swashplate

Schlumph
04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I purchased the Eflight Aluminum swashplate the other day but am finding that the control arm linkages are really tight to the point that it has exposed a worn tooth on one of the servo's. With the original plastic swashplate, this is not a problem.

I also noted that with the aluminum one installed that even moving it with my fingers shows that the linkages are really tight.

Any advice on loosening those things up? I was thinking that I could use a small diamond file on the ball links of the swashplate.

Thanks!

Skiddz
05-01-2007, 01:43 AM
No! DO NOT FILE THE BALLS!!! Get yourself a pair of smooth jawed pliers..

Firmly, but gently (i.e. no need to try and crush the thing) squeeze each ball link with the pliers. It'll loosen up a bit with each squeeze. Go slow and check the links after each squeeze. Once they're properly sized, they should fall under their own weight, but not have any slop in them.

sctholson
05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Those metal balls will wear over time, but for now, you need to loosen up the ball links.
In machines that have larger balls and ball links, there is a tool to push into the ball link and it literally makes the link bigger, by cutting away material in the ball link. There is not a tool for the ball links of the 300 size machines.
I used a dremel bit. There is a 3 mm file or grinder bit. I used it by hand and spun it inside the ball link. It did not take too much material off, in fact I had to do this three or four times to get the sizing right.
I have tried to use the sqeeze method and it never worked for me.
Scott

Ben Hedrick
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I hope that I don't have a problem, I just bought one yesterday but I haven't put it in yet... :?

Schlumph
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys. I may try both methods. I have a Demel as well and a nice, small round bit as well that may do the trick. I am assuming here that the trick is to make sure I keep the inside curvature of the link, otherwise, it will simply slip off the ball!

Now, why would Eflite do something like this; manufacture an upgrade for the Blade CP Pro, and leave the consumer in the larks on such an issue. I also noted that the forward ball link is slightly fore of the plastic original; as a result, it requires a little bending in the servo arm to make it line up reasonably with the ball link.

sctholson
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Schlumph,
I don't think this is really an e-flite issue. More an overall Helicopter fit and finish issue. The ball links are made of plastic and don't hold the greatest tolerances. That said, they need just a little massaging to make work correctly. The real issue may be why someone hasn't created the right size tool to make this work.
By the way, the balls in the original Blade heads and the balls in the microheli head are different sizes. That's why the fitting issue is so important.
Good luck with your mods.
And yes the curvature of the link is important, you are right on!!
Scott
Thanks guys. I may try both methods. I have a Demel as well and a nice, small round bit as well that may do the trick. I am assuming here that the trick is to make sure I keep the inside curvature of the link, otherwise, it will simply slip off the ball!

Now, why would Eflite do something like this; manufacture an upgrade for the Blade CP Pro, and leave the consumer in the larks on such an issue. I also noted that the forward ball link is slightly fore of the plastic original; as a result, it requires a little bending in the servo arm to make it line up reasonably with the ball link.