PDA

View Full Version : V120D02S In the HOUSE!

Finless
10-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Just got the V120D02S today. Stay tuned for a review. I am leaving town Saturday for a week but will try to do a "what's in the box" before I leave. If not, for sure the following week!

Looking in the box, it looks pretty cool. Cant wait to play with it :)

Bob

carl-b
10-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Sounds good Bob, the heli does look good and pretty tough, looking forward to the vids :thumbup:

Steve Joblin
10-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow Bob! We are quite honored that you would do a video series of a Walkera! Very cool and very much appreciated!!! With all the Walkera models, what made you choose this one to do review on?

Steve Joblin
10-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Just found your "Commentary Video"... puts it all in perspective and very well said!

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=finless&filename=ramblings.wmv

Heli8ight
11-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Bob,

I just got mine today, I am curious how your little heli sits on a flat surface mine either has landing gear that are to short or a tail fin that is too long! Looks like if I shorten the tail fin to where the gear will sit flat the tail blades would barely clear the ground.

anyways just thought you might see something different on yours?

thanks
Neil

IanWhitehead65
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Bob,

I just got mine today, I am curious how your little heli sits on a flat surface mine either has landing gear that are to short or a tail fin that is too long! Looks like if I shorten the tail fin to where the gear will sit flat the tail blades would barely clear the ground.

anyways just thought you might see something different on yours?

thanks
Neil
Hi,
The tail fin is longer than on previous V120s. It does not sit with the skids flat on the ground. Only the front part touches as the tail fin is so long. I heard that the tail blades are longer although I have not checked for myself yet.

It makes no difference - the heli takes off and lands fine. Its just a little annoying that's all. The fin is very large, and therefore heavy, so I have swapped mine for the previous fin. I have also swapped the tail blades for the white 4G6 blades to improve visibility so I have not had any blade strike issues.
Cheers, Ibs

vronny
11-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi,
The tail fin is longer than on previous V120s. It does not sit with the skids flat on the ground. Only the front part touches as the tail fin is so long. I heard that the tail blades are longer although I have not checked for myself yet.

It makes no difference - the heli takes off and lands fine. Its just a little annoying that's all. The fin is very large, and therefore heavy, so I have swapped mine for the previous fin. I have also swapped the tail blades for the white 4G6 blades to improve visibility so I have not had any blade strike issues.
Cheers, IbsThe tail blades are same as the D02 but I switched to some 30mm CF tail blades because I was getting some tail wag once switched to smaller no more wag. Usually I switch to a Jansonjetski CF tail Fin & MH pitch slider. Soon as the plastic one breaks or a crash mess up tail gear I will make the change with MH . The D02 had the same problem with being tail heavy but right now I will leave it stock. One thing I like is it real stable with hands off hovering. Once I made the change with smaller TB it is smooth in FFF. The D02S has more power with the outrunner & better climb out which got me out of trouble a few times. Xtreme just came out with a new motor 15500kv from miracle-mart.

Heli8ight
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi,

My concern with the long tail fin causing the heli to sit at an angle, was that I was under the impression the gyro would 0 at this angle?(I apologize if that is completely ignorant)

Current impressions -

Packaging - Questionable the landing struts were all warped, canopy was torn where it locks onto the front strut. I thought the heli was kind of just floating around in the molded plastic. B-

Durability - The stainless oven didn't wreck it and the heli did not wreck the stove.Not sure what happened but while spooled up resting on the floor it just shot left into the stove.(I'm blaming the tail fin because I can... no way could it be opperator error :-)) A+.

Setup/Manual - Devo 12s + V120D02s with manual. The fastest setup I have ever done. hovering with in minutes. (I am comming from a Fut 10chps) A+

Heli Parts - My first walkera so I dont really know much about them. The oversized tail fin makes scale landing/takeoffs a little hairy since its on the floor a 1/4" before the skidz hit. the fin will probably have to be trimmed a bit. A take off on carpet is really scary the tail just digs in. A

The little heli in my opinion is about as tame as a 450 and pretty tough. Well I have not broken it yet in the 10minutes of owning it so it seems to be tough as nails.

just my 2 cents

IanWhitehead65
11-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi,

My concern with the long tail fin causing the heli to sit at an angle, was that I was under the impression the gyro would 0 at this angle?(I apologize if that is completely ignorant)

Current impressions -

Packaging - Questionable the landing struts were all warped, canopy was torn where it locks onto the front strut. I thought the heli was kind of just floating around in the molded plastic. B-

Durability - The stainless oven didn't wreck it and the heli did not wreck the stove.Not sure what happened but while spooled up resting on the floor it just shot left into the stove.(I'm blaming the tail fin because I can... no way could it be opperator error :-)) A+.

Setup/Manual - Devo 12s + V120D02s with manual. The fastest setup I have ever done. hovering with in minutes. (I am comming from a Fut 10chps) A+

Heli Parts - My first walkera so I dont really know much about them. The oversized tail fin makes scale landing/takeoffs a little hairy since its on the floor a 1/4" before the skidz hit. the fin will probably have to be trimmed a bit. A take off on carpet is really scary the tail just digs in. A

The little heli in my opinion is about as tame as a 450 and pretty tough. Well I have not broken it yet in the 10minutes of owning it so it seems to be tough as nails.

just my 2 cents
Hi,
My canopy was damaged when received. Very disappointing.

I expect the skids will straighten themselves out will a little time.

I have had no problems with gyro initialization such as that I used to experience with my old V120 and M120. Some have said they can connect the battery with the heli on its side and then put it the right way for takeoff with no problems. Very similar to the mCPx in that regard I believe. The longer skid should not be a problem. Saying that, my last flight ended up with the heli rolling left during spool-up which scratched the blades and lost my rudder link (again).

The V120D02 tail is smaller/lighter and allows the heli to sit level on the ground. However, the tail blades have like no clearance so it you tilt right during take off or landing they will touch the ground. If the ground is carpet then you might break a gear on the tail drive. As for flying indoors - you are brave - given the head speed I think the chances of damaging something important to the Mrs is too high :roll: I suggest a helipad for placing on top of the carpet :lol:

Cheers, Ibs

Heli8ight
11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I will probably just shorten the stock tail fin since I have no other use for it.

A less beefy tail fin and slightly taller landing skids would be ideal but I really have no clue about heli designing, there probably is a reason for what they have done.

The store I purchased my heli from is replacing my canopy and maybe the skids too.

I only hover in the house when the wife is sleeping. :-) but you are right I flew my friends e-flight 3d (mcpx maybe?) heli right into my sticks this weekend. My thumbs took the brunt of it, it even drew some blood. So yeah this little bugger would not be a fun one to catch in the face and is more than capable of breaking the precious china. (Safety First)

In terms of comparing the Mcpx 3D to this heli they are really different I wouldn't even compare them to each other. They both flew stable in scale flight the v120 is large which has obvious advantages. I did see the mcpx hit the gym floor from 20 ft up and it only required some minor adjustments. (my buddy was looking for peices I was looking for the trash can)

IanWhitehead65
11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I will probably just shorten the stock tail fin since I have no other use for it.

A less beefy tail fin and slightly taller landing skids would be ideal but I really have no clue about heli designing, there probably is a reason for what they have done.

The store I purchased my heli from is replacing my canopy and maybe the skids too.

I only hover in the house when the wife is sleeping. :-) but you are right I flew my friends e-flight 3d (mcpx maybe?) heli right into my sticks this weekend. My thumbs took the brunt of it, it even drew some blood. So yeah this little bugger would not be a fun one to catch in the face and is more than capable of breaking the precious china. (Safety First)

In terms of comparing the Mcpx 3D to this heli they are really different I wouldn't even compare them to each other. They both flew stable in scale flight the v120 is large which has obvious advantages. I did see the mcpx hit the gym floor from 20 ft up and it only required some minor adjustments. (my buddy was looking for peices I was looking for the trash can)
My experience so far is that my BL mCPx has way faster cyclic travel and can flip much, much quicker than the S. However, I feel that the S flies more like a larger heli and I believe it will be a better transition to larger helis. I find that I fly my mCPx in a very "binary" way - I push the stick for a maneuver and then release and then push the stick for the next. There is very little subtle stick movements required between maneuvers. With the S, there is much more subtle stick movements required between maneuvers to setup for the next. Hard to explain but I know what I mean :)

The mCPx is very tough. If TH is on hitting the gym floor is unlikely to do any more than pop a link and move the main gear. Both can be reset and flying resumes. I crashed the S into the gym floor and knocked a tooth of the main gear. This would have been disastrous on my old V120/M120 but the new S is flying fine without the tooth. Just as well as I am still waiting for spares :)

I noticed last night that my feathering shaft has a slight bend in it. Hard to see but you can feel it when you rotate the shaft. Not causing any problems though - even at the higher head speed generated by my 915. What's more interesting is that the bag of bits that comes with the heli has the tiny Allen Keys for the feathering shaft screws yet the feathering shaft in the heli has Phillips heads. I wonder if the replacement feathering shafts will have the Allen screws as before but for production (simplicity) they used Phillips screws?

Despite how well the mCPx flies, I just prefer the look of the S and it is going to be my No.1 heli now I think.

Cheers,
Ian