PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to attaching ball link ends to the rods??

sgomes
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I have tried everything I can think of, but if the threaded rod goes in, it will often just strip out and spin, making no progress.

Help. :arggg:

Thanks.

Steve

cholyoake
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
do you push the rod into the hole hard while turning it? as it makes its own threads it can be hard. you just need to push the rod into the hole very hard while turning for the first few threads, then it should start making its own threads without you needing to push it.

rdlohr
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I ream it a little with my exacto knife first
Rick

sgomes
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Man, I have tried!! I have the most difficulty with the smallest links. It seems like when I get them both started, only one will thread, and the other just spins.

I do better with the longer links, because I can use the ball link pliers slot to grab the rod. But this is not an option with the really small ones that attach to the blade grips.

Steve

sgomes
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Rick,

Thanks. I have tried using my pin drill to open up just the first millimeter or so, but still don't do very well.

I guess it's just me, but it seems like if they just increased the rod thread depth a little it would make things a whole lot easier.

Steve

Finless
05-04-2007, 12:31 PM
As Rick said, just bevel the entry hole a little with an Xacto knife. They do start hard as you have to make threads in them with the rod.

Bob

Rick Rotorhead
05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Theres a bit of a knack to it I find. You can't be soft on them! Stick the end of the Xacto in, give it a full turn (it makes a better taper angle than a drill bit) then stuff the threaded rod end in (hold it with pliers) and push whilst turning - like you're trying to screw a cuphook into a wall.

er, I presume your using the Align threaded rod and not some thicker type like bike spokes.....

fredgarvin
05-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I had problems with the first one I tried, but no problems since. I do taper the hole with an Xacto knife.

I wonder if a 2mm tap would help?

rcboosted
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM
If it's that difficult for you, try putting the rod in the power drill first like a drill bit. Then thread the link and back out. Do that for all your links and you should be able to thread them in later with your hands. Careful not to go too deep, with that much power it can go through the link quickly if you're not careful.

Jermo
05-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I had an extra rod. I sharpened on a sharpening stone and put it into my cordless drill. Pre-thread all my ends, then thread the real rod into it.

fredgarvin
05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I had an extra rod. I sharpened on a sharpening stone and put it into my cordless drill. Pre-thread all my ends, then thread the real rod into it.

Essentially, you made a tap. Good idea.

rcboosted
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Same ideas as me, but with a power drill, you don't even need to sharpen it. It goes in really easy.

rdlohr
05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Yep, nice idea guys. I'll have to try that one next bird.

Rick

felborn
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I gave em all to my wife after nearly killing the dog in anger. Worked great, she handed em all back nicelt treaded 10mins later :roll:

sgomes
05-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks to all for the great ideas.

Steve

Pinecone
05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
You need to hold the rod in the middle with a some fine nosed pliers, especially with the short links.

xStatiCa
05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I do the exacto knife thing but even with that it can be extremely difficult to thread. So I plan to order this one day:

http://www.readyheli.com/Heli_Max_Heli_Ball_End_Tool_p/hmxr4859.htm

I bet that would make my life much easier when putting the align carbon tail rod together.