PDA

View Full Version : 6S/12S connectors

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

rctintin
10-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Forgive me, I know this subject has been talked about in the past, but would like your thoughts and opinions on connectors for 6S packs, and to make up 12S packs.

I have been using CC 5.5 bullets for a while now, but I do have to keep a keen eye on them that they do not get too loose.

I have recently heard of several people having them come apart in flight! Not good!

I am going to guess the most popular option is the EC5. Just a shame the blue case is so big and ugly!!

What are you all using?

Cheers all, Rob.

Edvard R
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
EC5 or XT150 - the EC5 dyes easily, so are no problem to turn into your favorite black color...

rctintin
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Cool, that would be better. Just ordinary black cloths die?

Edvard R
10-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Rit-Dye has proven itself on a number of occasions

mkovalcson
11-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I saw a write up on dying the white TDR gears this way.

How would this work, pour X amount of dye in some warm water with the EC5 connectors already in the warm water, let soak for a while ?

I guess from their instructions for fabrics, that hot water in a glass container might work. I have 12 sets of EC5's as I am converting over from Deans on my existing 6S 5000mah batteries and will be using them exclusively on the TDR.

Measure 2 teaspoons dye into 3-cup container. Add 1 cup hot tap water; stir to dissolve dye and set aside.
Place in microwave and set on HIGH for One minute.

Edvard R
11-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Mix water with Rit-dye in an old pan, and bring to a simmer. Dump whatever you want to dye in the pan and let simmer for about an hour.

Vinger
11-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Put marbles in the pan and this will keep the parts away from the bottom of the pan to ensure even coverage of the dye

mkovalcson
11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I imagine EC5 connectors are designed to handle heat :)

Unfortunately I noticed on the packaging for the EC5's that they contain substances known to cause cancer.

So now I have to ask whether boiling them will release carcinogens into the air or should I just keep my hands out of the water.

Then again it could just mean don't let a small child suck on them...

kouasupra
11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
EC5 for sure. If your flying the with a canopy it shouldn't matter what color the connectors are.

KidHeli
11-01-2011, 08:11 PM
EC5 for sure. If your flying the with a canopy it shouldn't matter what color the connectors are.

+1

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

ElectricSheep
11-02-2011, 01:18 AM
I imagine EC5 connectors are designed to handle heat :)

Unfortunately I noticed on the packaging for the EC5's that they contain substances known to cause cancer.

So now I have to ask whether boiling them will release carcinogens into the air or should I just keep my hands out of the water.

Then again it could just mean don't let a small child suck on them...

I think everything heli-related I own has that same warning label. I would guess that there's lead in the metal part of the connectors and who-knows-what in the plastic. I wouldn't let a kid use one as a sucker, especially when it's already soldered to a lipo! :lol:

I would boil/simmer the plastic parts outside if you can. I dyed the first set of parts in the kitchen in a cheapo pot (don't dye in anything you plan to cook in again) and I had to cut the dye job short because the simmering dye soup stunk the place up to high heaven.

So, definitely dye/simmer/boil them outside if you can -- so hopefully you have a barbecue grill with a side burner or an outdoor kitchen.

mkovalcson
11-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Good call and thanks for the extra information.

1. I have some old cheap pans I will never use again.
2. I have a grill with a side burner ( that I've never actually used )

The earlier suggestion about using marbles makes sense too!

For those of you who have done this, did you get liquid or powder and how much did you use?

Edvard R
11-02-2011, 07:11 AM
For those of you who have done this, did you get liquid or powder and how much did you use?

Either is fine - powder just use one baggie, and liquid just use the whole bottle. It can be re-used over and over.

mkovalcson
11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
So you pour the dye solution into a container and warm it up again?

rctintin
11-02-2011, 07:20 AM

True, I fly with a canopy on, so does this mean I should leave my Helis with crap untidy wiring as well?

I take a pride in my Helis and the build quality and look is equal to how they fly. When you have a lovely carbon and machined alloy airframe, I don't want bright blue battery connectors!!

Edvard R
11-02-2011, 07:23 AM
So you pour the dye solution into a container and warm it up again?

Yep - a coke bottle works well, if you keep it somewhere where nobody takes a sip of it... come to think of it, it might be illegal in some areas to do that... but you get the idea.

Edvard R
11-02-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't want bright blue battery connectors!!

Pink?
Once you go black...

rctintin
11-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Only if it is shocking Pink!!

smsodhi
11-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Damm
I knew TDR's are the pinacle of quality, but i didnt realise that there is so little to concern yourself over that ones attention turns to the colour of the connector.

This just makes me want one even more!! :cheers

mkovalcson
11-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I think there is a quest for perfection that is a bit pervasive in this group.

marcosp
11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Blue connectors would be fine with me, specially when you have multi colored lipos right beside them (blue, green, yellow, black.....), an ugly maroon reddish orangish ESC (Jive) with yellow motor cables and canopies in all sorts of color combinations. Actually I use Deans so they match my Jive!!! heheheh :rotf

As always, I believe each one can have his connectors as he pleases, it's the whole point of our hobby!!! :peace

mkovalcson
11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
You've seen Edvard's airbrushed TDR's...

There is no limit to what people will do with their time and resources if it is something they are passionate about.

marcosp
11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, and absolutely!!!

rctintin
11-02-2011, 05:44 PM
So, besides the colour, are we to assume the most popular connectors for 6S packs are EC5's? :lol:

smsodhi
11-03-2011, 04:36 AM
You've seen Edvard's airbrushed TDR's...

There is no limit to what people will do with their time and resources if it is something they are passionate about.

:thumbup: