PDA

View Full Version : Shopping list for 600N

fsusmithc2
05-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, I'm trying to prepare myself mentally and financially to get this thing and I'd like some advice and/or a sanity check on what I need to put in it.

Engine: OS 50 Hyper. 'Nuff said. :wink:

Swash servos: I have 4 DS821 servos that came with my DX7. Would these work? 88oz/in .15sec/60deg @ 6v

Tail servo: I use the DS3400G on my 450 and it rocks! I just saw the DS8700G JR tail servo and it's specs are 49.3oz/in .09sec/60deg. That seems pretty good and it definately seems to be the 3400G's big brother but it says 4.8v/PCM only. Does that mean it won't work with Spektrum? If I'm limited to 4.8v, I might as well get the JR500T gyro like I wanted from the beginning. Either that or step down the voltage, which I'd have to do even if I got the 500T since it also can't handle 6v (but the 401 can). I'm a fan of JR so a servo by them would be my preference.

Gyro: The 401 has worked great on my 450. I suppose another one would be in order for the 600N, aside from my comments above.

Receiver: I'll need another AR7000 receiver.

Receiver battery: Something at 6v right? I'm liking my new FlightPower EVO25 2170mAh on my 450 so maybe a 6v by them would work. I did a little checking and I saw a 1200mAh 2s but that's 7.4v. Looks like I'd need a step-down regulator for that too?

Governer: Is this really necessary? I've heard it's more important for larger helis than small ones. What govs do you guys like?

Other than that, the only other thing I would probably need is a new starter. The one I have is kind of old and just has a normal airplane attachment on it. I allready have a flight box and two glow starters. I'll need some new glow plugs and fuel of course and that should about cover it.

Thoughts?

Funky
05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Engine: Good choice, get a good pipe for it (CY Muscle pipe or Hatori)
Gyro: Pick up the Futaba 401/9254 servo combo
Servos: I wouldn't use those servos, I have had really good luck with Futaba 9252s
Govenor: I really like the Multigov, it works great and is really easy to set up
Batteries: If you run a 6 volt set up, make sure you get a step down reg for the tail servo. They are not meant to be run on 6 volts.

Pinecone
05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
JR/Spktrum say now that those servos are good for 50 sized electric or 30 sized nitro.

The standard servo for 50 nitros seems to be the S9252. Only rated at 4.8 volts, but lots of people seem to run them at 6 volts regulated fine. Hitec has some VERY fast servos (6965 and 6975 IIRC).

fsusmithc2
05-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Great ideas guys. Thanks. From what I've read elsewhere, there's supposed to be combo packages that include the OS50, 6A BEC/electronic ignition system (glow starter not needed), 7.4v lipo, and muffler so that helps.

Any JR servos comparable to the S9252?

Gscott
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
From what I've read the combo will not be available in the U.S. since Great Planes has the distribution rights to OS engines.

fsusmithc2
05-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Sorry, I meant to say the combos would be available eventually. Wouldn't you think so? I probably won't be able to wait long enough though. :wink: I've heard the same thing about the engine deal. I thought I heard something about the combos coming out next year sometime.

Who knows.... All I know is I want this thing like yesterday!

:woohoo

Gscott
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I believe GP's agreement with OS runs through 2008 so I doubt you see any Align engine in the U.S. before 2009. This of course assumes GP's doesn't renew their exclusive agreement with OS. Think DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket.

fsusmithc2
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
That sucks. Guess I'll be parting this one out then. :thumbdown:

Edit: I forgot the blades in the list too as I'm guessing the kit doesn't come with them. Probably will get Radix or V-blades. Looks like I'm looking at between $1500 and $1700 depending on exactly what I get. This hobby is definately not for the faint of heart or the shallow of wallet. I'll just look at it as more rewards points on my credit card. Woo! :wink: