PDA

View Full Version : Are FBL blades really needed?

twentyafter
11-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I have seen a few threads on this and to me it seems like they would be needed more on larger heli's, but I'm relatively new to heli's so I could very well be completely wrong.

I am new to FBL as well, just converted my 450 Pro. I have not had it out for a flight yet, only a test hover. Right away I noticed how much more responsive it was. I currently have some cheap CF blades that came with my friends Chaos 450 Pro kit, and was wondering it FBL blades would really make that much of a difference on a 450 size bird, and what differences might I experience.

I'm sure this is a controversial subject and it's all going to come down to personal preference, but what have you guys experienced?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: If anyone has a link to some cheap CF FBL blades that perform well post it up! I might just want to see the difference (if any) myself.

65L88
11-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I have two flybarless helis, a 450 and a 500. I did the conversion and kept the original blades. I've never seen a reason to go to the so-called flybarless blades. Just my personal experience, I'm sure others will ring in.

jetblue2135
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I have two 450 pro's, both FBL, right now one has align 3G fbl blades the other has just the regular align 325's. I have also used the edge fbl blades and to be perfectly honest I don't really see the need for them. I pretty much just fly whatever blades I have laying around, including the cheap HK fg and cf blades. They all work just fine.

Harbormaster
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm sure this is a controversial subject

Uh, yeah:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=303502&highlight=snake+oil

Ah Clem
11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I have had both the regular and FBL blades on my 450.

You can tell a very small amount of difference. Not really worth it, IMHO.

Cullen Colapietro
11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
with my 3GX, I find blades makes the largest effect on how the heli flies. FBL blades are very stable, but don't hit very hard. I prefer a heavy FB blade, like the Align 325 Pro blade for a 450. Light 3D blades are a mess, unless one changes settings in the FBL controller. In hard maneuvers, the 3D blades become somewhat unpredictable, causing my 450 to slap, overshoot, etc.

I have tried both FB and FBL blades on larger helis and the differences are much LESS drastic.

Ah Clem
11-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Cullen,

That is very interesting about the 3GX-I did not think that the various flybarless electronic units might behave differently with the FBL vs. non-FBL blades.

Mine was with a BeastX, by the way.

Always good to read your posts, sir!

Cullen Colapietro
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Cullen,

That is very interesting about the 3GX-I did not think that the various flybarless electronic units might behave differently with the FBL vs. non-FBL blades.

Mine was with a BeastX, by the way.

Always good to read your posts, sir!

RIchard, I've had no issues with the BeastX, but I have only tried 2 types of blades as the Beast is mounted on my 6HV, whcih I don't crash much and blades are expensive.

On the 450, blades are cheap and I crash my 450 a lot, apparently. 3 bad crashes in 3 weeks, over $200 in parts (and canopies/blades).

I look forward to trying the new Compass blades on my 7HV, flying Mavrikk 690 FB blades ATM. Stiff and fast, but a bit hungry. I like them, they are crisp, but again, on the 3GX, they misbehave in SOME hard manuevers, say a wall from 70mph that I push through into a rainbow, things get a bit unstable, but don't know if FBL blades would remedy this. They would on a 450.

Ah Clem
11-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Interesting Cullen!

I have the BeastX on an EXI 450 with an Align head on it. I am wondering if the 3GX is more sensitive to the different types of blades?

twentyafter
11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
The blades I have are very light, don't know exact weight but they feel lighter than others I have had. Sounds like it would at least benefit from a heavier blade.

Set from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Luvmyhelis
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I had a long, long talk with one of the lead techs at Youngblood about two years ago. I run Radix 350s on one of my 6s stretches. He flat out told me that the differences in the fbl to flybarred blades were so imperceptible that there were only a very few elite pilots who could tell the difference. He in essence told me not to worry about it and buy either or both of them.

Felt
11-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I had a long, long talk with one of the lead techs at Youngblood about two years ago. I run Radix 350s on one of my 6s stretches. He flat out told me that the differences in the fbl to flybarred blades were so imperceptible that there were only a very few elite pilots who could tell the difference. He in essence told me not to worry about it and buy either or both of them.

+1. This hobby has more gimmicks than golfing. "Buy this driver and you will hit it longer and straighter." Seriously, Just through some blades on it and fly it like you stole it.

Steemo
11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
This hobby has more gimmicks than golfing .... Seriously, Just through some blades on it and fly it like you stole it.

:rotf
that made my day
Do you mind if I quote you in my sig?

Cullen Colapietro
11-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Interesting Cullen!

I have the BeastX on an EXI 450 with an Align head on it. I am wondering if the 3GX is more sensitive to the different types of blades?

So, for those of you wo still think there are differences btwn fbl and fb blades, I agree.

I just rebuilt my 3GX equipped 450 and threw some A325D bldes on it, which were unpredictable, a bit unstable and VERY quick. I had to adjust stop gains, roll /flip rates and Bell/Hiller settings, but now these blades fly quite well.

IMO, for what I is worth, on a smaller heli, blades make a difference. Wil they all work, sure, but depending on what you are requesting of your machine may tax you FBL unit differently w/ different blades.

chan
11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
i have 450pro fbl and lots of crash, do some hard 3D, experience lots of blades i say difference is minor i found non-fbl blade with good airfoil is better than some fbl blade like align 3g blades :D
heavy blade make run time short.
So get cheap good airfoil blades regardless of type. Period.

Mike2112
11-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Collin Mills...that's all I have to say. Those who wanna know about the aerodynamic differences between FB and FBL blades read his articles. He explains it nicely. Go to the middle of the article.

http://www.w3mh.co.uk/articles/html/csm9-11.htm

Felt
11-24-2011, 07:23 PM
:rotf
that made my day
Do you mind if I quote you in my sig?

Sure...Go for it. Just replace through with throw, so you don't look like a dumb ass like me.

jratliff42
11-25-2011, 08:13 AM
I converted my 600 nitro to FBL using the 3GX. The blades that were in the flybar kit are on it now. Flys beautifully! As a couple guys have already stated, the FBL blades have the weight placed a little differently as far as CG goes, but I know I'm not good enough to tell. Run whichever you have and enjoy!