PDA

View Full Version : 3GX on EFL

tomd27858
11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Per the "how many are running a stock EFL" post, it appears that quite a few of you are running the 3GX.

When you level the swash in DIR mode - do you level the swash at low and high stick like you would a flybarred heli? It is pretty clear that you level at mid stick but wonder if the other two are necessary.

What settings are you using on the 500 EFL? I have read through Lukes settings but they are for the 450 and 550.

Holy smokes....12 degrees cyclic on DIR set up. You have to be kidding!

I'd really like to use the 3GX since selling it and buying a Beast is another $100.00.

Deet
11-21-2011, 04:42 PM
just level swash at mid-stick

12 degrees is how the 3Gx needs to be set up to get the right response from the control loop, follow the instructions to the letter.

Once you are done with setup you can either use Rates or Swash Mix to tune the cyclic however you like

tomd27858
11-21-2011, 04:53 PM
That sounds too simple.....

So you do DIR set up for 12 degrees for cyclic and collective.

Then do a test fly. If too responsive, just lower your swash mix to get it like you want it? You have got to be kidding.....why is everyone so set on the BeastX being so much simpler?

I read the 80 page manual of the BeastX and got scared again about the fbl thing. There is whisper about GrandRC doing a sale on the EFL again...from a team pilot...which prompted the interest in the EFL 3GX.

Deet
11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
The beastx is simpler than Vbar, they think, mostly because you need a computer to set up vbar.

Actually I find Vbar the easiest to setup, about 15 minutes as long as the heli is mechanically correct in the first place. (but that applies to them all anyway)

Then 3G/3Gx, the only nasty bit i the fact that you need to do the tail separately.

Lastly BeastX, mostly because you are lost without either the manual or the reference card.

The cool thing with BeastX is its pretty good "out of the box" you do the setup and it flies really well. You don't need to do much tweaking but yet again there is not much to tweak.

The tail on BeastX is MUCH better than the Align tail.

Back to 3Gx

What i do is the setup per manual... Take note of the swash mix numbers. Drop the Aileron and elevator mixes but about 10.. Fly the heli and add back swash mix until happy with roll/flip rates, I just make sure I don't go back above the original swash mixes that gave 12 degrees.

magbarn
11-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Back to 3Gx

What i do is the setup per manual... Take note of the swash mix numbers. Drop the Aileron and elevator mixes but about 10.. Fly the heli and add back swash mix until happy with roll/flip rates, I just make sure I don't go back above the original swash mixes that gave 12 degrees.

I set mine up at 12 degrees. I then use d/r expo to get it where I want it. That way I can switch between sport/agressive 3d with a flick of a switch. I also don't have to remember where the original swash mix was set at.

The beastx setup looks horrible. I really don't know how many say it's easier than 3gx is to set up.

erni66
11-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Why I don't need to level the swash plate at high and mid stick?! I did it!!:confused:

leedawg
12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
The beastx is simpler than Vbar, they think, mostly because you need a computer to set up vbar.

Actually I find Vbar the easiest to setup, about 15 minutes as long as the heli is mechanically correct in the first place. (but that applies to them all anyway)

Then 3G/3Gx, the only nasty bit i the fact that you need to do the tail separately.

Lastly BeastX, mostly because you are lost without either the manual or the reference card.

The cool thing with BeastX is its pretty good "out of the box" you do the setup and it flies really well. You don't need to do much tweaking but yet again there is not much to tweak.

The tail on BeastX is MUCH better than the Align tail.

Back to 3Gx

I thought the manual states that if you change any swash mix settings you have to run through the 3gx setup again so that it can recalibrate to the new settings? Why not just use pitch curves to limit your pitch to less than 12 degrees? That is what I did is this a bad practice? Should I be doing it through the swash mix after I have set it up?

Why I don't need to level the swash plate at high and mid stick?! I did it!!:confused:

Because it is only important at mid stick the 3gx will adjust at the extremes for any slightly off throws that is what the gyros do inside the unit. It would simply see a movement that was not made by you and adjust for it accordingly. i could not get both extremes to be perfectly level due to a very small variation in servo travel but they are all 3 very close with mid stick exactly level. Were talkin .2 mm differences here so its all very close.

A third question I have. I am new to the FBL why does everybody hate on 3gx so much is it due to the reputation of the 3g system with align? Is the v bar really that much better than 3gx I fly mine and it seems to fly very well but perhaps my standards or lower or something Or have others found the 3gx to fly pretty well?

magbarn
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I thought the manual states that if you change any swash mix settings you have to run through the 3gx setup again so that it can recalibrate to the new settings? Why not just use pitch curves to limit your pitch to less than 12 degrees? That is what I did is this a bad practice? Should I be doing it through the swash mix after I have set it up?

Because it is only important at mid stick the 3gx will adjust at the extremes for any slightly off throws that is what the gyros do inside the unit. It would simply see a movement that was not made by you and adjust for it accordingly. i could not get both extremes to be perfectly level due to a very small variation in servo travel but they are all 3 very close with mid stick exactly level. Were talkin .2 mm differences here so its all very close.

A third question I have. I am new to the FBL why does everybody hate on 3gx so much is it due to the reputation of the 3g system with align? Is the v bar really that much better than 3gx I fly mine and it seems to fly very well but perhaps my standards or lower or something Or have others found the 3gx to fly pretty well?

I have 2 500 EFL's (lol I put one together with the 'spares' I had). One with beastx and one with 3GX. The beastX setup is HARDER than the 3GX, by far. However, once set up the beastx is much better 'out of the box' The tail is also much better. The 1.2 update for the 3GX kinda ruined it for me. It has a better tail on pirouettes, but now it feels 'disconnected' My biggest gripe (which is going to be fixed with the spektrum/beastx unit due in January) is the lack of a 2nd satellite port. I like to fly my helis far so I don't feel comfortable with only one satellite and ended up using a full size receiver + sat for my beastx 500EFL. IT was a PITA to make it look neat as I had to run the wires outside the chassis vs. my much cleaner 3GX setup. I also bought a mini-vbar that I'm going to try out next and see.