PDA

View Full Version : 7hv manual question (80w soldering iron)

snaaakeey
12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
The manual states that an 80w iron should be used. Is this essential?I have been using a 30w iron through out the 6hv's life with no problems?

GimpyGolden
12-02-2011, 07:57 AM
If you've got this far with it why change.
As long as you can solder Motor Bullets and Battery Connectors fine you need no more.
Higher wattage does do a nicer job and makes it faster easier, but if you aren't overheating/melting stuff your good.

Cullen Colapietro
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
There is a risk, if you are not experienced/know what to look for, that you could end up with a cold solder joint, especially when looking at 6 to 6.5mm bullets. I use a 40W and it does the job, but 80W would be nice. After applying heat, my iron needs a minute to come back up to temp.

EricW
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Another benefit of a higher W soldering iron is less heat transfer in your components.
If you have to keep it on for a extended time to reach the right temperature, everything heats up.

dunkonu23
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Another benefit of a higher W soldering iron is less heat transfer in your components.
If you have to keep it on for a extended time to reach the right temperature, everything heats up.

+1! The key is to get in and out as quickly as possible. More wattage makes that possible.

Scott

Cullen Colapietro
12-02-2011, 01:58 PM

That's probably the best argument for a higher powered iron, forgot about that, but you remember when you're holding onto a wire, burning your fingers.

dunkonu23
12-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Two more things... too much wattage is just as bad as too little. Just right for larger wires is around 80-100 watts for 10 gauge wire and larger bullet connectors. Keep the tip clean and tinned; it will aid proper heat transfer.

Scott

snaaakeey
12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I have gone for a 150w adjustable iron as I think I might have a hard time with the larger connectors. Thanks for the advice lads.