PDA

View Full Version : I just did the <Insert Cool Maneuver> Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

rdlohr
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for commenting, and don't worry about being a kill-joy, because you aren't. It's good to show concern. It shows you care.

Thanks for taking it correctly! :hug:

Rick

steve28
06-04-2007, 12:34 AM
working on my first few successful side on tic tocs that is in the roll axis and side on in relation to myself . Not very confident tho and I can only do a few in a row . I am better doing tail down elevator axis tic tocs , but I cant get them sidways in relation to myself yet, I do them away and towards myself . I really like the side on roll axis tic tocs they look cool thats why Im practicing .

rcasey212
06-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Oh yea baby. I know I've mentioned it before, but I cannot WAIT until I start doing my first tic tocs! I just love watching that move. Good luck with your practicing, Steve!

Bob

felborn
06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
First of, im kinda shocked how dumb some people can be. I have had people walk straigth under my heli a couple of times. Im flying in a big enough place to leave plenty of room to go around and avoid my heli. yet some seems to get a kick out of having the heli a couple of meters over theyr head. Aint easy to avoid, since I for the most part have more than enough with keeping an eye on my heli.

Anyways, why im here: Did my first rolls and loops today :mrgreen:

The loops turned out pretty sweet, nice shapes and good speed in and out. The rolls where pretty much crap tho, not sure why. They turned out better towards the end, guess I just need to fine tune them. Made me feel damn good. Had abit of a down period after crashing the heli twice in 1 day (only had 1 crash before that). This gave me a huge boost again! After two packs tho I had tempted fate enough and got my ass home while the bird was still in 1 piece :badair:

rcasey212
06-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Nice victory on your first loops and rolls, Felborn. If someone with more experience could chime in regarding rolls and note if what I am saying is correct it would be appreciated. As for rolls, I think the big "trick," to them is to get to 0 degrees collective when your heli is 90 degrees to the ground. Here is a step-by-step:

1. Give the collective a little punch before you get on the cyclic, in whichever direction the sky is.

2. Add cyclic in your roll direction and simultaneously bring your collective to 0 degrees until your heli is 90 degrees to the ground. (Don't stop here, or your heli will fall out of the sky, but continue rolling and move onto the next step)

3. Once 90 degrees is hit, you begin feeding in the opposite collective while continuing to hold cyclic until you have rotated 180 degrees and have enough collective pitch to hover the heli in an inverted orientation from the start.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 to bring the heli to the original orientation.

WhirlingBladesOfDeath
06-06-2007, 06:31 PM
I've wondered if it would be helpful to have a single notch at center stick on the throttle for stuff like this? As Rcasey suggests, I think I'm either too slow or too fast moving the throttle, and the heli ends up getting pushed or pulled during the move. A little tick at center stick would help get the motion down correctly maybe?

felborn
06-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I agree Whirling, sure aint easy to judge where you are on the throttle. Since im afraid if pwning it into the ground, I think im giving alot of negativ just to be sure. Would be fun to have someone watch the stick during a roll and report back :)

rcasey212
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Felborn, everyone could use a flying buddy, especially those just starting out. I know I would love to have one myself.

WBoD, as for the idea of having a tick at center stick, while it sounds like it would be great to have when learning, I wouldn't want it getting in the way of a smooth collective. Plus, once you have your new move down, I could see myself relying on it as a crutch, even though it wouldn't be needed any longer. Until I get a flying buddy, I'm going to spend more time on the sim to perfect my rolls. Using the sim, I can record my performance and watch my stick input along with the video of the heli's flight.

Rogan
06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Today I cut the grass for the very first time. I was stoked. :D

I also managed a touch of inverted backwards flight - but I lost orientation pretty quickly, I didn't get a full circuit in. And I did some incredibly sloppy rainbows. I can do the inverted translation, but I always end up doing a little backwards flight in the upright translation. :dontknow

It was a good day. :mrgreen:

rcasey212
06-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Grass stained main rotor blades. The green badge of courage? :)

Congrats Rogan! Nice flying!

Chicago is setting up for a serious storm right now. 25-35mph winds with gusts of 50mph, and threats of 80-90mph gusts and tornado birthing super-cells from the NWS. Definitely no flying for me today. Not like I could fly, anyway, with work being as busy as it is. :(

Rogan
06-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks. :)

Bummer about the weather, crappy wind ruins it for everyone.

txflyer
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
congrats on the moves..

i to would like a notch at center stick. ive thought about filing down the teeth in the plastic wheel. just find out where center stick is.. but the plastic dust and shavings getting into the radio has stopped me. i really dont want to take a radio apart..

rdlohr
06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
grass cutter 008.jpg: 10 Time(s) Viewed, 902.24 KB
Whoohoo weed whacker.

click this link or anywhere on the thumb to view full size

Proof positive! :noteworthy :noteworthy :noteworthy

Rick

akshaw
06-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Flew the heli backwards then with tail leading the heli up and over into an inverted nose-in hover.

Dvnts
06-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I did my first barrel role today. Man, I got the shakes and everything. I have been doing it for ages on the sim, so easy when there is nothing to lose. Definately more nerve racking in real life! :lol: :lol:

WhirlingBladesOfDeath
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Yesterday afternoon did the move I mentioned earlier. Going FF, do a half roll then a half loop. The first time though, my thumbs got dumb and I pulledd the heli up and over from inverted (rather than down and under). Not sure if that makes sense, but it looked really odd for sure!.

Rogan, that's what my blades look like too! (but it's because the grass is taller than my heli where I fly) :arggg: It's interesting taking off sometimes. Normally my tail holds just fine if I gently lift off, but sometimes if I really blast off, I think it gets hung up on the grass, and I get almost 180 rotation before it locks back in???

akshaw
06-08-2007, 09:18 PM
One thing I think is fun to do is when going fast forward push the cyclic hard forward and do an inverted loop. I think this manuver looks really neat and it has got some ooos and aaahs when people see it take a dive all of a sudden and loop over.

rcasey212
06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Great job to everyone for all the excellent reports on first-time moves! I've got no new moves today, but want to report that I flew in 15mph winds for the first time and Rexxy did just fine, handling it well. It got tossed around a little in the gusts, but the tail held well and it wasn't anything which couldn't be corrected with the sticks.

However, my blades are all of a sudden not tracking, so I'll have to look into it. They are the 325 pro woodies from Tech Model. Great blades so far, BTW. Anyway, I'm wondering if all the bugs splattered over them has thrown the balance off? :) I can the bug news headlines now... "Murder in the skies over Chicago. It isn't safe to go out anymore!"