PDA

View Full Version : prop nut and cooling fan coming loose whilst cranking

heinekenheli
01-04-2012, 02:28 AM
First time i this happened the i flooded the engine and it locked and propnut and fan come loose pushing clutch shoe into bell housing and creating a bit of a f#&*k up. Luckly no damage to enigne. Next time it just happened weird?? I have being using drill to start could this be the problem?:arggg:

johnbs8
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
they come loose sometimes. make sure you loctite the fan and nut on the engine. let it setup over night and you should be fine. i know of a couple people that use cordless drills and never have problems.

djaypro
01-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I have had this problem more than once. I also have used a cordless drill. I am personally happier with a real starter cause I have turned the drill the wrong direction. To tighten the nut I used the lighter in the back plate hole. Fit perfect and was able to tighten without hurting the engine. Hope this helps

Ah Clem
01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I have had this happen as well (I think a lot of us go through it).

I clean the threads on the nut and the engine shaft with solvent so there is no trace of oil. If the flywheel is threaded, its threads are cleaned to. Generous amounts of blue locktite and a "star" type lockwasher under the propeller nut will usually cure the problem.

There is a tool that you can use that locks the crankshaft (the engine's backplate is removed and the tool is placed over the connecting rod).

heinekenheli
01-05-2012, 12:13 AM
:peace
Fantastic! !!
Thank you for the tips

Ah Clem
01-05-2012, 10:06 AM
heinekenheli,

Something I should have mentioned when I posted previously-if you flood the engine, remove the glow plug and spin it with the starter to clear it. Hydraulic lock can really damage the engine (same reason the pull the props through on full sized radials).

Good luck to you, sir!