PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Starter Cup From Sullivan DynaTron???

UncleBen
05-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Hey guys, I'm new here just got hooked on heli's. I've been trying to figure out how to remove the starter cup (the metal cup that holds the silicon insert for starting airplanes) so i can put on a hex adapter for helicopters from an old DynaTron has a little rust on the main shaft. So you pull, unscrew...I've tried everything this thing just wont budge.... :arggg: Anyone remove the starter cup before?

WayneBrown
05-30-2007, 05:17 AM
did one this past weekend. Apply heat as the nut and cup are locktited on, use a small pair of vice grips or good pliers to hold the shaft and an old rag to insulate your hand. Get it hot enough and it will just unscrew.

Priapismic
07-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I wish mine where that easy. I got the nut off. The cone is a different story. I used a pair of vice grips to hold the shaft and hit the end of the shaft with a propane torch and it still won't budge.

Skiddz
07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Hit the cone with the torch, making sure ot heat it evenly. Should spin right off and if memory serves, it's a reverse thread.

Danal Estes
07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
1) Take off locknut
2) Heat
3) Put on a THICK glove.
4) Attach the wires to a car battery BACKWARD.
5) Spin it up.
6) Grab the cup with the gloved hand.

Repeat 5 and 6, if required. After a couple of tries, it will thread itself right off. Sometimes even without the heat.

WillJames
07-26-2010, 07:52 PM
1) Take off locknut
2) Heat
3) Put on a THICK glove.
4) Attach the wires to a car battery BACKWARD.
5) Spin it up.
6) Grab the cup with the gloved hand.

Repeat 5 and 6, if required. After a couple of tries, it will thread itself right off. Sometimes even without the heat.

Yea Baby, now that is what I am talking about!! Nice tip!!

airpup86C
04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
2012 Update.
Found this thread while looking to see how to get my cone off. Here's a couple pics of my Dynatron after I got the cone off. Note, the threads are right hand, so the cone comes off the normal way. If you use the car battery method to remove the cone, you would hook the starter up to spin counter clockwise, which would be the way you would normally crank an engine.

I was unable to get mine loose using the battery method, As you can see, I ended up taking the starter apart and gripping the armature, and was able to easily remove the cone.

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=6450&pictureid=71021

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=6450&pictureid=71022

Al