PDA

View Full Version : 2x 3s setup's ??

Jaso
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Is there a good set-up for say a pair of FP 2170's 3sx2 strapped to the front of one of these things ?
From what I've read the std motor and esc is ok but nothing special .
Can you put say a Z20 and an align 75 amp esc in and get good performance for 4-5 minutes with out puffing packs ?
If I can get this I will more than likely buy one , if not looks like I'll save a heap more cash for a lepton or wait for another 425-500 blade size heli to come along .
I'd love to able to use the 3s FP packs I already have with out being disapointed in performance , rembering I'd be happy with 4-5 minutes ?

Am I asking too much ?

Cheers
Jason.

Finless
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I dont know yet... I will know this weekend though!

Even though I am now using 2500 6S with the Z30 we will see what flight time is. If 6 minutes then 3s2p should be 4-5. I am kinda doubting it though but we shall see. I have a feeling 6S 3300 might be better but the frame will need a mod like Tom Viper uses.

BTW the 6S 2500 balance the heli perfectly when on the bottom mounting location.

Bob

Jaso
06-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Bob that will be great info to know how your's went.
Any chance of some video too ?

Jason.

Finless
06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Of course!
I just hope I dont strip a gear first getting the curves set up ;)

Bob

Skaross
06-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Just flew mine with 2 x 3S 3300 today and what an improvement. I am now sure that 2150's just cant cut it... they are sagging so much under load that the head speed is way down in comparison.

Had to mod the bottom battery tray a little to fit them in and still get the canopy on, but even with the stock motor she had loads more punch and was a lot harder to bog.

The mod involved using a plate (some stiff offcut plastic I had) and making a flat tray that runs from the front of the existing tray all the way back til it touches the skids. It sits neatly on the chassic halves just in front of the skid and there is a triangular gap between the new tray and the old. With this, the 150mm long packs sit further back and the canopy just squeezes on.

Can't recommend this enough for those looking to buy packs from scratch... I now have the required power to fit the Z30 :)

Kev

Finless
06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I easily got 5 minutes on 2X 3S 2170 25C FP packs with the stock motor. Obviously putting on a bigger motor is going to eat some more power. once I get my replacment gears and motor mount I will do so full flight tests using an Eagle tree and my FP 6S 2500 packs.

bob

Skaross
06-07-2007, 03:49 AM
Bob

Interestingly flew back-to-back flights with FP 2150's and the new 3300 packs (DualSky 22C 3S3300). The FP's I used were relatively new, but well broken in, and the new packs were unbroken.

The difference in headspeed was so noticeable that 2 of my friends immediately commented. I was well aware of the difference in performance as well... much chrisper control and able to hit about +10 pitch without instantly bogging.

I suspect your 2170's handle the load a little better as 25C cells, but the older 20C NF cells just sag horribly on anything more than light hover.

I would go so far as to say that the stock motor is almost useable on the bigger packs... but I want more power now :)

Kev

ianjh123
06-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I was curious about using cheaper packs, so I got some 4000mAhr 10C packs from Truerc. At $55 each they are pretty cheap. But they should cope with 40A continuous and 60A peak, which I will check later when I get a logger. I will keep a check on the number of flights I get. So far about 20.

I have most cnc bits, a z20 1470kV motor and a Quark 65 esc. The Hurricane is a bit heavy (2.3kg), but balances beautifully. Flight times of 10 minutes are easy, with about 3300mAhr going back in the packs. Climbouts are as good as my Trex 450, and power is good for my sport flying. Not sure about 3D, I'll get there one day!

The top battery mounts OK, the bottom one needs to sit with the rear down on the step below the servo, and the canopy still fits.

Batteries are warm after flying, motor and esc barely warm. I usually fly in cold weather early in the morning (a benefit of a flying field in my front garden). I expect the batteries to get hotter in warmer weather.

Anyway, for those interested in a cheaper battery type and good flying times, stay tuned. I will probably get 2 more packs if these prove OK. I think these are in line with the concept of a budget helicopter. I just need a better frame (I still have the early flexi-frame). Waiting for someone to do a carbon frame.

Enjoying my first big helicopter!

Ian

Skaross
06-09-2007, 05:10 AM
At 2.3Kg she is still light and agile compared to a Swift (her closest rival for size and performance). And I expect those packs are giving awesome flight times. Sounds like a wonderful sports config Ian.

What blades are you using?

Kev

dutch_anykey
06-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Hi Ian,

Sounds good, let us know about the packs. I just might go that way as well.
I'm not in 3d as well. But i'm making progress lately. So i dont need that extreme"punch" like they call it. At least not for now anyway. I would enjoy longer flighttimes when learning new moves. And i hope i could loose some of the bogging by changing to a better battery. Allthough i'm afraid that the stock motor keeps being the blocking fator in this setup.
(Stock config with MAH CF blades)

Maurice

ianjh123
06-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi Kev
I still have the wooden blades, and a set of MAH carbons are on the shopping list maybe next month (this month was a gy401/9254 combo). I'm running a 2000rpm headspeed and it seems comfortable with that. I've seen the warnings about wood blades on these larger helis, but the money only goes so far!

Hi Maurice
The original esc burst into flames, and the faulty Quark I replaced it with smoked the Gaui motor, so I never got to try them. I think the current combo will do well, but I am keeping a count of flights on these batteries, hopefully to help out others. Sure, more expensive batteries would be better, but these seem OK for now.

Ian

kgfly
06-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Hey Ian,

You might find this comparison interesting:

TrueRc 3s 4000 10c/15c 16x50x140mm 256g $55
Hextronik 3s 4100 15c/20c 26x43x132mm 335g $62

I have been considering these for a QJ-EP8. I cannot recommend them as I haven't tried them yet, but if you are experimenting with cheaper alternatives for sport flying you might consider trying them out. Shorter, thicker and heavier than the TrueRc packs but if they live up to their ratings, then they will give you more performance headroom which translates to either more aggressive flying or longer pack life.

Skaross
06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Well got my 3300's broken in now and had a great 8min flight with them on the stock motor and 515mm blades.

Wasn't my most vigourous, lots of FFF, a few stall turns and flips, and a roll or 2, but at the end of 8mins, 2400mA went back in.

8 mins for me is a very nice flight time, can practice all different types of flying without having to rush through.

Recommended pack config from me :)

Kev

tornet999
06-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I have similar setup right now, 515 CF blades with 2x3200, seems to be a good combo. I am still using the stock motor but with Align 75 ESC, I got couple for unexpected hard cut-offs and did not trust the GAUI ESC (new version).

The only problem right now if the temperature of the motor, it is getting very hot, can hardly put my fingers on the motor after a 10 mn flight, is that normal ? Otherwise everything works great.

Skaross
06-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Same ESC in mine Tornet... and similar motor heat. Z30 will be going in in 2 weeks, but off on holiday next week :)

10 days in Corfu flying model heli's and planes at a special hotel for modeller :) www.rchotel.com

Kev

ianjh123
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks Kenneth, but looking at the weight of those batteries I think any gain in discharge rate will be offset by the extra weight. Will keep looking for better batteries, I think MaxAmps had some that looked interesting.

Ian

kgfly
06-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Ian,

No worries. I don't think the weight difference is as significant with respect to the overall power system as you do. On two packs it would be and extra 158g on 2.3kg = 7% increase in AUW for a 50% increase in rating. However that 158g is still a fair bit extra to be dangling off the nose so could certainly upset balance or flight dynamics. Good luck with your search.

kgfly
06-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Ian take a look here for some other options: http://www.extremerc.com.au/Extreme_Power.htm

quickster47
06-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Well got my 3300's broken in now and had a great 8min flight with them on the stock motor and 515mm blades.

Wasn't my most vigourous, lots of FFF, a few stall turns and flips, and a roll or 2, but at the end of 8mins, 2400mA went back in.

8 mins for me is a very nice flight time, can practice all different types of flying without having to rush through.

Recommended pack config from me :)

Kev

Kev,

Must have missed it but what exactly is the battery configuration you are now running?

Carl

Skaross
06-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Carl

Now using 2 x 3S 3300. The packs are Dualsky GT cells (nominally 22C). Very reasonably priced in the UK for a high rated cell (50 each = $100 - but then I live in rip off Britain :( )

Kev

quickster47
06-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Kev,

Thanks for the answer. Now I just need to go find me some comparable 3300 packs here in the States.

Carl

mlinder
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Carl

Now using 2 x 3S 3300. The packs are Dualsky GT cells (nominally 22C). Very reasonably priced in the UK for a high rated cell (50 each = $100 - but then I live in rip off Britain :( )

Kev

I am just getting started with my Hurricane, but I am interested in your battery choice and mounting design. can you perhaps post a pic?

Thanks!

mlinder