PDA

View Full Version : DIY extended tail boom

Picofly
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
I have recently done an extended tail boom for my Genius and I am quite satisfied for the result. My tail rotor has struggled to compensate the increased torque of the C05 main motor and tail has blowed out a few times. I have adjusted a Progmix to compensate the torque but it hasn't been a perfect solution. So I bought two meters of 2 mm square CF tube from RCFoam. The price wasn't bad, only 2,50 USD per meter:

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.php?cPath=122&products_id=834&osCsid=5a1acbe59c0d6b1f9517dd1763f22295

This CF tube is a perfect match for Genius. It slots firmly to the frame and the inner hole is big enough for the tail motor wires. I made an exteded tail boom which is roughly 15mm longer than the stock boom and removed the Progmix from the transmitter. Tail holds really well now and does not blow out in 3D manouvers.

This is a highly recommended mod. For the price of one custom tail boom from WOW you can make roughly about ten booms by yourself.

distortionist
01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
what do you cut them with?

bytemuncher
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Nice find Pico. Another option, if you're already buying stuff at Myrcmart, is the v911 tail boom. It is 10-15mm longer than stock and a cheap drop in replacement. http://www.myrcmart.com/wlv91110-taill-boom-tail-motor-mount-p-4243.html

john aeras
01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
what do you cut them with?
Rotary tool with cut-off disc (i.e. dremel) make sure you cut outside and wear a dust mask.

helikage
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm guessing those do not have the glossy protective layer on like the stock ones do right?
I think that layer of glossy stuff(?) Walkera uses strengthens it quite a bit so my concern is how strong this one will be without it.
Let us know. :lol:

Picofly
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm guessing those do not have the glossy protective layer on like the stock ones do right?
I think that layer of glossy stuff(?) Walkera uses strengthens it quite a bit so my concern is how strong this one will be without it.
Let us know. :lol:

I bellive that is just a thin layer of standard clear coating. It may strenghten the boom but not much. It is more about the quality of the CF tube.

I have wrapped 30 mm long strips of clear tape around the both ends of the tail boom. The tape is practically invisible and it should protect the boom better than the clear coating does - at least I hope so :confused:.

helikage
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I've done the same taping mine too, but just on one side by the frame.

I've split 2 booms already both at the same spot right by the frame in the same horizontal direction on both of the sides where "Genius CP" is written.

You're gonna break your new extended one first before you tape it right? :D:D