PDA

View Full Version : HC3-SX Acoustic Hood Mods

navzptc
01-17-2012, 07:22 PM
After recently purchasing a HC3-SX and acoustic hood for it, I felt that it could do with a few mods so that the LED status could be seen and that satellites could be fitted without possible damage to the leads going to the unit.

The satellite plug problem was easily cured by cutting grooves in the foam to allow the plugs to be connected easily.

For the LED status to be visible, I obtained a clear plastic drink stirrer (type with a ball on the end) and ground the ball down until it was a hemisphere and the stirrer cut to the required length to project above the hood.

The cut ends were polished and then inserted into a hole which I had dremmelled into the hood above the LED, but countersunk so that no part of the HC3 unit was in contact. This was then hot glued into position.

As you can see this works very well, and is very cheap to complete. :thumbup:

Hope you find this of use.

Andy

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes:

DEMONjoe
01-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Nice work, but keep in mind that any "open" part on the hood may not protect the housing of the HC from ultra-accoustic noise !
Just my technical comment, basically and personally I like your work :-)

Joachim

Breezyjr
01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you have to do this?

Joe_Breezy

DEMONjoe
01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Because modern MEMS gyros are sensitive to ultra-accoustic noise, which is produced by the inlet wheels of turbines. Especially inside fuselages this may occur in sudden and unlikely corrections by the system, as it's sensors may be irritated by this noise.
Does not happen in many cases, but is not to be overseen.

That's why we treat the units in a special way during the production, mechanically and firmware, as well as offer this hood for the last half percent of possibly getting into any trouble :-)

Joachim

Breezyjr
01-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks... Makes sense....

Joe_Breezy

DEMONjoe
01-19-2012, 03:50 AM
It does, and believe me: you would not want to see what happens if you do not take care about that :face