PDA

View Full Version : Noob - Looking for RTF electric. Ideas?

Bildnfly
01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Complete and utter (clueless Noob. Just ordered a Double Horse 9116 but know its a basic starter and not the "real" thing. Cost was perfect however to see/allow me chance to become addicted. First heli after Cheap Airhogs unit. Any ideas on what would be next step/unit? Blade? Trex?
Want to stay electric for now no longer than 15" - 18" as I want to be able to indoor flight. I geuss that is 250/300 class?
Help!

Thanks!:confused:

vronny
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Complete and utter (clueless Noob. Just ordered a Double Horse 9116 but know its a basic starter and not the "real" thing. Cost was perfect however to see/allow me chance to become addicted. First heli after Cheap Airhogs unit. Any ideas on what would be next step/unit? Blade? Trex?
Want to stay electric for now no longer than 15" - 18" as I want to be able to indoor flight. I geuss that is 250/300 class?
Help!

Thanks!:confused:A 250 or 300 heli are not for indoors. You probably better starting with a FP that is 4ch maybe a cb100 or solo pro. I'm sure your not talking CP are you?

LARRY2716
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I tell people get Align 450 Sport or Pro. Thats what I wish I would have done. Easier to fly than FP Honey Bee or Blade MCPX.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

krobinson103
01-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Well you could go with a 4 channel fixed pitch or a mini CP, but I would just get a good transmitter, get Phoenix or real flight, and then get a nice 450. You will soon get tired of the FP and the sim will always be useful. Also, avoid cheap 450 class helis... you will regret it. Align 450 or better and it will take a long time before you can outfly it.

A lot of people go for the mcpx as their first 6 channel because of the low cost of repairs and the fact its really hard to break. Its also good to fly inside once you get a bit of practice. If the mcpx isn't right for you Walkera has the mini cp and I think nine eagles has a clone version of the mcpx as well.

jonbailie
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I started with a Blade 120sr. It's a 120-size fixed pitch machine, great for beginners and not too fragile. You can go down a few times with this machine. Looking back, I would probably recommend a smaller bird, like the Msr, or solo pro II; or even a Mini CP, or Genius CP if I wanted to start straight with a 6-channel collective pitch heli. Those last two are going to have a much longer replay value than the 4-channels, but with a slightly steeper learning curve. On the bright side, if you're on a grassy area, you'll be able to fly and crash quite a bit before you start replacing parts. If you get a stock Genius CP (not the brushless version), the 6-axis gyro feature actually works quite well for beginners. It'll keep the heli very stable and make it very easy to learn your orientations when hovering. Plus, it's a very durable little helicopter, especially over grass. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive for such a performer. Check it out, most likely that will be the fastest way to get flying around your local field!

vronny
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
He want something for indoors guys but he must be talking inside a gym.

LouP
01-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Get the MSRx. A spirited little guy thats fun to fly and shouldn't give you too many bad habits if you move on to CP. :peace

LouP:thumbup:

Bildnfly
01-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys! I was talking indoors house (basement / garage for basic T/O, hover, turn & land) but also have access to gym. I know the Double Horse 9116 will fit the bill early on but also know I will quickly grow out of it if not destroy it. Not that it matters a lot, in fact may hurt but I am a pilot of fixed wing in real life so aerodynamics are well understood and learning curve on gyro 4 ch 9116 should be a breeze. With what you guys have suggested, I have enough info to make an educated decision.

You just don't know how much I appreciate the info from experienced guys helping and not looking down on a newb!:)

Bildnfly
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
A 250 or 300 heli are not for indoors. You probably better starting with a FP that is 4ch maybe a cb100 or solo pro. I'm sure your not talking CP are you?

No CP for now only FP as I do realize I am already fighting 20,000 moving parts already going in different directions!

krobinson103
01-25-2012, 05:58 PM
On those 120 FP helis the parts count is about 100. Very simple machines. Easy to fix as well.

BHChieftain
01-29-2012, 09:04 PM
If you want a 120 size fp, then there are only 2 option really--

Eflight Blade 120sr or walkera v120d01. Both can be flown indoors and the larger size makes them better for backyard flying when there is no wind.

The blade 120sr will be easier to fly, but the v120d01 flies better overall.

Parts availability is a major factor-- eflight blade helis are stocked at local hobby shops, walkera is mail order only.

Do some research before heading down the walkera path -- some great designed helis but QA is spotty so you need to be prepared to do a lot of tweaking.

I have both... I'd say if you are a beginner the 120sr would be a great choice.

Chief

krobinson103
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
One more there. The Nine Eagles Solo Pro 328a. It comes in micro and 120 sizes. My first heli was one of these and it was perfect to learn on. Its pretty much a clone of the 120SR but cheaper.