PDA

View Full Version : First 450 flights

rhodesengr
02-12-2012, 09:57 PM
well flight is perhaps an over-statement. I did fire up my new B450 today. Training gear operation hovering a few inches up. Seems like a long road to to anything resembling flight. Both me and the B450 are still in one piece. The neighbors stop and stare.

spanky17
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Congrats on that,I plan on doing the same thing very soon.

InFocus
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Awesome news. If you lifted off, anded and didn't need to buy any parts, we'll call that a successful maiden flight.. congrats.:banana

CyclicPete
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Congrats Dude !! :thumbup:

Its a GREAT feeling isn't it , when it finally leaves the ground properly !!

Keep practicing, you will be in a stable hover before you know it !! :thumbup:

buddha2490
02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
That's way better than my first half a dozen 'flights', all of which were most emphatically non-flights, and most ended up costing me money.

After these crashes, I decided to start over and I ended up going with Radd's flight school:

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

What I liked about his teaching was that he put a lot of emphasis on having a feel for what the heli was going to do when it was about to life off, i.e. it would drift left, the tail would move a bit, etc etc. The goal would be to keep it the skids from moving just under lift-off power. The first 8 lessons or so the helicopter stays on the ground. Certainly not the most exciting way to learn, but it was really effective for me. I got to the one where I could hover and it lifted off very controlled because I knew exactly what the helicopter was going to do and it was really nice to see it take off so nicely and in control.

Also, a sim has been really helpful for me.

rhodesengr
02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I have phoenix and I am using both Radds and rchelicopterfun.com. Plus I have an mCPx.

nartac
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I have phoenix and I am using both Radds and rchelicopterfun.com. Plus I have an mCPx.

sounds like another one hooked on heli addiction. Please get help now before it's too late

rhodesengr
02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Its already too late. I now refer to the family room as "the flight deck".

nartac
02-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Its already too late. I now refer to the family room as "the flight deck".

LOL. Did you read a thread where a guy used his wife's tush as landing pad? :rotf

FuntanaS
02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
LOL. Did you read a thread where a guy used his wife's tush as landing pad? :rotf

Where was that?:rotf

nartac
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
well.... he used an mcpx of course and not a 450 HERE (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=383854)

rdarby777
02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I wish someone would have told me that this hobby was so addicting and incredibly expensive. It would have been cheaper for me to have a drug problem and I have only had one crash since Jan 1st. I love the feeling of flying...its phenomenal!!