PDA

View Full Version : 100s tail boom and wires

firedude52
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Is it hard or can you pull the tail rotor and pull the wires out of the boom and put them back in OK? Anyone done this? The reason I ask is I have a can of "Plastic Dip" and with the shorts I had before and fried boards due to the thin lacquer coating rubbing off I'd spray a very light film of Plastic Dip on the wires in hopes of eliminating that issue. Might work well in spraying a light film on the back side of the board to help vibration with the gyro and keeping it in place as well.

reALIGNed
02-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I did the same thing on mine, but I couldn't get it back in through the boom. Instead, I just ran the wires along the outside of the boom and then put a piece of shrink tubing on over it. Turned out real nice too.

Palmore
02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I've done it a few times, only a couple of times with the metal clips on the ends of the wires (that slot into the white plastic connector)

Both my heli's now have their tail wires snipped and soldered, so any time I wanna swap I unsolder the wires and solder on the new ones.

Getting them thru the boom isn't too difficult with the Align metal booms, I've been doing on 2mm carbon booms recently, that's a pain =(.

Be gentle and careful (not to pull the wires out the rear of the tail motor etc) I end up using tweezers with bits of masking tape on the ends (to not scratch the wire coating) at times when I need a tug or two.

firedude52
02-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Getting them thru the boom isn't too difficult with the Align metal booms, I've been doing on 2mm carbon booms recently, that's a pain =(.

I was referring to the stock 100s booms. Align makes a metal boom for the 100???

Palmore
02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
The stock 100s boom is metal, aluminum. its just painted black. The 100x boom is aluminum as well.

But I always end up cutting off "adapter" sections of the stock booms and making longer 2mm carbon booms for better tail hold.

http://www.crackedconsole.com/hosted/heli/trex100x/trex100x-mod-boom-bw01.JPG