PDA

View Full Version : Owners nightmare...

sly the dogman
02-23-2012, 03:28 PM
First spool up for setting on rate mode, I let it seetle on the ground light on its skids for about 1 minute or so, you know just in case, lift off nearly perfect only a slight drift to the left otherwise spot on. Hovering at shoulder hight, approx 3 minutes in flight heard a pop then it droped, the belt snaped AGAIN, (that's the reason of my last crash in early september). And no the belt wasen't fixed to tight, I could spin the head freely with barely any restance. It feel on a patch of ice, tail end first, tail grips, blades, landing gear brook off completely in pieces, one main blade split open 2 inches long, fly-bar, links to the main blade poped off, 1 link seperated in 2. This is what I see first hand. What pisses me off the most is that I don't have the funds to rebuild it 5.5 may have to go the standard 500 route, even then. I'll take a look later, I'm to pissed right now to give it a closer look. Did I tell you I was pissed, ya I think I did.

kelseh
02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
It wasn't too loose and rubbing on the the tail rotor housing was it? Sorry for your loss. That really sucks. How many flights did you have on the new belt.

sly the dogman
02-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Absolutely no wear and tare on the belt and it was 31/2 to 4 minutes tops in its first flight ! I did spool it up on the floor a while back for tail directions purposes and just to hear the tail blades and the motor running, did not have any main blades (DA !). After that moment I did check the belt remembering what happen in september wanted to be sure it was in good condition and it was. Really don't know what happened, there are frindges on each end of the belt indicating a tear maybe or a snap, I'm not an expert. Next belt installation will be bouble and triple checked, for sure.

Qué sera, sera.

What can I say, I'm not pissed off anymore, there are more important things going on in my life than a crashed heli.

TallPaul
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Sylvan. I know it doesn't help, but I'm sorry.

buzzsaw 46
02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Any chance your one of pulleys have a deformity that could be causing the breaks?

sly the dogman
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Sylvan. I know it doesn't help, but I'm sorry.

You're wrong Paul, it does help.
Thanks,

sly the dogman
02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Any chance your one of pulleys have a deformity that could be causing the breaks?

Its not the same heli, the one in september is totaled. bought this one as a bare-bone here on the 4 sale forum. But still its worth taking a look. I'll be installing a regular 500 size parts in the days to come, so upon
installation of the belt I'll surely inspect that avenue.
Thanks

buzzsaw 46
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry, I assumed it was the same machine. Hope you solve the issue, crashing from parts failure is no fun at all.

belcom
02-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey Sylvain, I can send some FB head parts to you if you need them. I got the head without blade grips or swash after the FBL upgrade. Everything else is yours if you want. Seems you're having some bad luck and that sucks. It's the first time I hear of a belt breakage on the 500. Don't mean to make you feel worse but since it happened twice now I would really look into the setup.

Pitbro50
02-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Sorry

But stop spending your money on this heli.
Keep the electronic and buy this
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=334_174&products_id=6193

sly the dogman
02-24-2012, 01:25 PM
:BSS

Now you see, you just hurt me here. If you think Compass is
underneath this brand well.....I'll stay polite and not say another word.
But thank you anyway for your input, sir !

DominicD
02-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Sorry to see that sly, I just hate mechanical failures. In my experience most belt failures are caused by the belt being too loose. What happens when the belt is too loose is the belt slap against eachother inside the boom, when they do the teeth engage eachother. Once the teeth engage eachother all that rotating mass would have to come to a stop which just isn't going to happen so the belt breaks instead. If when flying you hear a "ting ting" sound you know thats is the sound of the belt hitting the boom, a sign your belt is too loose.

Ah Clem
02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Sly,

I am very sorry to hear this, my friend.

I wish I knew what was causing the belt issues.

My Atom still has its original belt from 2008 and that belt is in good shape.

I wish I could help you, sir.

Not sure what to do...

sly the dogman
02-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dominic, I will surely keep that in mind, I knew too tight wasen't good but I never thought that too loose wasen't better, my bad. I can easely attibute the belt failure to this cause, mainly because I cannot see any other reason.

Constructive analyses is what its all about in this forum, that's why I'm here on this board and part of the reason I own a Compass heli. :thumbup:

Ah Clem
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Sly,

For what it is worth, I run the belts just tight enough to they do not slip a tooth. IMHO, it does not matter if they slap the boom a bit-this over hundreds and hundreds of flights on cog-belt driven machines for decades (literally-remember, I am older than dirt).

You would have to run the belt very, very loose to have that be the cause of the snapped belt.

An extra twist in the belt would cause the problem you experienced.

DominicD
02-24-2012, 01:51 PM
I usually error on the side of being too tight :)

Sly you attending any funflies in my next of the woods this year ?

lazor 22
02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Sorry

You gotta be kidding me:rotf I had a crapterX once and well there is a reason I call it that.:face

kelseh
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
You gotta be kidding me:rotf I had a crapterX once and well there is a reason I call it that.:face

I read that post this morning and I thought that maybe it was a joke. I never seen one in person but did you see the machine work on that thing. Just plain ugly.

Pitbro50
02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
:BSS

Now you see, you just hurt me here. If you think Compass is
underneath this brand well.....I'll stay polite and not say another word.
But thank you anyway for your input, sir !

I dont say that it's just a cheap replacement if you dont have the money for rebuilt the compass.

sly the dogman
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry

Please gentlemen, let us not run with this, just let it be !

sly the dogman
02-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Sly,

An extra twist in the belt would cause the problem you experienced.

I'm sure I checked that by putting the boom to my eye facing the light and twisting it right so that when turned the tail blades turned c/cw smoothly. But then again...

DominicD
02-24-2012, 03:07 PM
There are actually 2 types of belt twists, the most common one is the way most ppl look for. The 2nd kind is MUCH trickier to find unless you really pay attention. Take the belt and roll one edge, the result will be two twists that cancel eachother out. But with 2 twists the belts becomes VERY springy, which causes all kinds of problem and is a PITA to track down.

stark
02-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Sly, feel sorry for your crash.

I'm wondering if the belts are tested for sub zero temperature operation. Since I live in similar weather conditions as you I would be worried about my atom's belt.

Does your belt have cracks developed if you bend it?

sly the dogman
02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
It was brand new, no cracks, nothing. And it was -3 or -4 outside. Left there for 5 minutes before flying.

GimpyGolden
02-25-2012, 11:18 AM
If you set belt tension in your nice warm house then take heli out in the cold it will become looser as the aluminum boom contracts and the boom actually becomes shorter.
This is exaggerated the longer the boom(700) but if you were already borderline to loose and it being a new belt(will stretch) all added up might have been enough to cause what Dom has described.