PDA

View Full Version : Throttle hold settings

Benvk
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
I was trying out the throttle hold switch on the DO2S and it dropped like a stone with 0% throttle selected, bit frightening! Nothing broke thank god.

What setting do you guys use? Should I set up some positive pitch so at least the blades are still trying to keep it flying with no throttle?

ChitownMatt
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
On my Devo 7 at least, the throttle hold will assume you are in Stunt mode and switch to -100%; 0; +100% pitch. It will even override the D/R settings. So if your D/R is set to 60% hitting TH will switch it back to 100% (kinda make D/R setting useless for stunt modes, right?)

You need make sure your collective is about centered before hitting TH, and you might want to make sure your servo travels are properly adjusted or hitting TH with the collective at the bottom or top could put a blade low enough to clip the tail linkage or even the boom.

Does anyone know how to change the TH to not do this???

The only TH setting I have is for the throttle, no pitch. (it would be great if I could set it to 0% throttle and +0 pitch.. or something like that.)

jonbailie
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I've got mine at the default 12%, with a linear pitch curve at 20-35-50-65-80, with 50 being 0 degrees pitch, or midpoint. Some people just set a flat pitch curve for zero degrees and no throttle, and that works too. With my settings, if I crash, I can usually soften the landings by having some pitch on either side, and also by having the blades spin just a little. It's not enough to damage the gears or strip servos, so far anyway.

It's all a matter of preference. I find I like to be able to control a crash a little bit. Some people just like to let everything shut off and zero the pitch (or a combination of either method) when they go down.

Benvk
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I had it set to a flat zero pitch curve and zero throttle but the way it dropped out of the air was like I had negative pitch.

I still don't know how anyone can hit the TH switch before they hit the ground, crashes happen so quick with this little machine.

ChitownMatt
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Am I doing something wrong???
Why can I only set the throttle for the TH?
If I hit TH the collective will still control the pitch.

jonbailie
02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure on the devo radios, but if mine, on the 2801 pro, acts like that, then I have a pitch curve set up for TH. If you didn't, it would default to a set degree and you shouldn't be able to move it. If I set mine to a 50-50-50-50-50 curve in TH, as soon as I hit hold, it would be at zero degrees pitch, no matter what collective input I was giving.

You must have some pitch curve set up that reflects how the pitch moves when you hit hold. It could also be a default curve setting if you have the throttle hold pitch curve set to INH, and not ACT.

ChitownMatt
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
"....I still don't know how anyone can hit the TH switch before they hit the ground, crashes happen so quick with this little machine."

Haha, one of the few times I actually did hit it fast enough. (Well, that tip about adjusting the servo travel is not from intelligence... only experience) I heard a loud ping and then something hit the wall...Hard! First look at the heli... don't see anything that could have made that sound, blades are both there, tail rotor is there.?.?.? Oh wait, the tail linkage is missing and the servo arm is broken. When I found the tail linkage on the other side of the room it was folded completely in half like a closed book. I was a little dumbfounded until I saw the gouge in the end of one of the blades and figured out what happened. lol. Lucky it didn't hit me in the face.

sebo
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
i am not sure about the devo 7 but you have to go in pitch curve menu and hit the throttle hold button and then set the curve for throttle hold to 0 across all points (same way you do for idle up switches).. then when you use throttle hold it will pitch the blades correctly.