PDA

View Full Version : Mini CP servo sticking, easy fix?

atebits
03-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Hi all,

Relatively new to this, but noticed my new Mini CP "popping" up and down mid-flight. Took this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E78GRHVFV7k

As I raise/lower the throttle, you can see the rear servos track properly, but the front one "sticks", sometimes popping to the right position later. Is this a sign of a common servo problem? Fixable? Or am I looking at completely swapping out the servo (is that even possible on the mini cp?)

Thanks!
Loren

Heli-opolis
03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
I've never seen anything like that, strange!

If no one else has any ideas or whoever you got it from won't take care of it, you could try removing the servo and removing the two screws that go up through the servo from the bottom, remove the 'top' cover where the servo gear comes out, jiggle the gears a bit while its open and then close it back up and see if that improves things.

I've had my elevator servo seize up on me twice and was able to get it working again simply by opening it up and putting it right back together again, never knowing what actually caused it to seize in the first place.

Hopefully someone else has experienced what you are and have found a solution for it that is known to work otherwise, get your screwdriver out. ;)

atebits
03-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I sent an email to WOW Hobbies, waiting to hear back. Are there instructions for taking the mini cp apart? I would love to try that, but the servo itself seems japanese-puzzle-boxed in there, not sure which parts are supposed to come off to get to it :)

Heli-opolis
03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
If you got it from Wow, I wouldn't do anything to it were I you until you hear back from them as numerous people here have reported that Wow has taken good care of them when problems were found with new or reasonably new heli's bought from them.

Other than possibly finding exploded views which I don't think are publicly available for the Mini yet, there aren't really any instructions for taking them apart so unless you have an aptitude for taking things apart and putting them back together and, until you hear back from Wow, the best plan might be to do nothing.

jonbailie
03-10-2012, 03:24 AM
You should replace that servo. I've had some do that after crashes and found that the gears were sticking due to slightly stripping. They'll only get worse from here on, and it will also mess with you collective and elevator inputs when flying.

atebits
03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I just ordered a few replacement servos I found at oohobies, I'll probably wait to hear back from WOW before I go spelunking.

Thanks for the help.

Heli-opolis
03-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Do you mean 'oohobies' or 'oomodel'?

I don't know about others but I haven't had good experience with oomodel. Ordered parts said to be in stock, don't find out the parts were on back order until after they should have arrived and I write to ask where they are.

If you do mean oomodel, I hope your experience with them is better than mine. :(

atebits
03-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I meant oomodel. Bummer, guess I may be waiting for a while. Almost tempting to get a second mini cp to steal spare parts from.

Heli-opolis
03-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Were I you for future purchases or if you find out oomodel has problems delivering your current order, there is an excellent source of parts for the Mini just a bit south of you, HeliRCStore.com that currently seems pretty well stocked.

That said, my experience does not mean that you will experience the same thing, i.e. not having in stock what was said to be in stock, so hopefully you will get what you ordered although no where near as soon as from a place more locally.

At the same time though, Wow may take care of you and get your heli made right so that whatever you do or did order can just be spares.

atebits
03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the tip! I completely missed that store in my googling. Should save on shipping :)

Heli-opolis
03-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Should save you a lot on more than just shipping.

Bob's a cool guy and talking with him, I get the feeling that he isn't doing this to get rich but more so, doing it so that others don't have to go through what he did/does to get parts or kits.

He also listens to and acts on feedback more so than any other vendor of any other type of product I've dealt with.

Case in point, I sent a friendly message to another vendor that they were listing the battery for the Mini-cp as a 2400mAh battery, no reply, listing still the same two weeks later!

I laughed when I saw that Bob had the same typo on helirc and sent him a quick message about it. I got a reply a short time later and the listing has since been updated. Too bad though as I'd love it if the Mini could actually use a 2400mAh battery! :rolling

Beyond that, he looks at service and support not as being nothing but a go-between between you and the manufacturer but instead, as if he is THE only one you should have to deal with to get issues resolved.

Not just for heli's but more in general, I had gotten so used to being able to expect nothing more than 'you puts your money down and you takes your chances' that dealing with Bob was and is a refreshing change.

It's not so much that you buy a Walkera heli and he just happens to be who you order from but more so that you buy a heli from him and his choosing to sell it to you somehow makes him responsible.

What decade is Bob living in? I've not seen that kind of commitment to customers in too long of a time!

He makes it feel like you are truly dealing with one of us.

atebits
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Sounds really refreshing. I just put an order in for some parts there too, figure I'll probably keep breaking stuff, can't have too many spares on hand :)

atebits
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Just to follow up, WOW has great customer service.

Heli-opolis
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Just to follow up, WOW has great customer service.

I hate to say I told you so, wait a minute, I love telling people that! :lol:

So, Wow is going to take care of your problem?