PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum MSR grips on the msrx? And Which brand? also swashplate?

Pages : [1] 2

Edwii
03-18-2012, 05:35 AM
I Want some Aluminum blade grips but I cant really find anything directly saying MSRX, just msr, they look the same, I just want to make sure if they are compatible?

And which brand should I get, Microheli or Rakon?

Also wondering which brand swashplate to get? (how durable is stock? I haven't broken it yet wondering if it happens very often?)

crashycanuck
03-18-2012, 08:26 AM
i have a rotor head and blade grips on order from rakon heli.

i hear that their stuff is the best quality, and reviews by people ive talked to seem to support that. i cant compare head to head to microheli though.

Chris Gardill
03-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I also have grips, swash and a rotor head from Rakon on both of my mSRX's. I really like the swash and it seems to have more movement than the stock. The grips are a huge improvement and have come through several blade strikes that would have definitely killed the balls on the stock ones. I haven't tried the MH ones on the msrx so I can't comment on the differences, but i really like the RKH stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Varc
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
MH head and grips are okay on mine. But will be switching to Rakons full red head.

Dont155
03-18-2012, 09:33 PM
MH head and grips are okay on mine. But will be switching to Rakons full red head.

+1. Need red for better bling!! MH's stuff works just fine though. I don't have a cnc swash as I've been waiting for MH's... but the waiting's getting old... :mad:

Waynkel
03-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Im also going with the Rakon stuff, the quality looks top notch!

I have the new frame on order, will probably wait a few weeks before I get the rest of the parts, most likely a swash next.

BigRHS
03-19-2012, 01:17 AM
I have 2 MSRX's and have a RK grip on one and the MH on the other. In my opinion, I think the RK is a little better quality, but as stated above they both work. The MH grip I took off my MSR and put on the MSRX.

Metal
03-19-2012, 05:29 AM
+1

I have only had my Rakon parts for a couple days. Thus far I am more than pleased.

The heli seems to be more responsive, tighter, and the bling factor is a big plus.

Only time will tell on durability. Although I had a crash yesterday that probably would have broken the balls off a stock blade grip, which may or may not have translated to the broken servo pushrod.

I have flown my mSR X quite hard from day one, and I wont jump to the conclusion this 1 crash was the lone reason for the part failure.

Edwii
03-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Thank you for all your help thus far, Having an mcpx... I find it hard to invest into my msrx and these wee parts have a huge price tag for what they are, and my money would be better used into my MCPX, like to go brushless...
But I am weak... And I like my msrx more for flying in the house over the mcpx... I am getting the red rakon parts as i already have a silver MH swash on my MCPX.

Thanks for every one's help.

ronj
03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
I am looking at getting something from Rakon. I plan to get the blade grips and would like to stop there. Question is, once you get the blade grip, do you need the rest. In time I probably will, but right now I will have to limit the size of my order.

It seems to be that the blade grips are the weakest link, so if I replace them with the CNC version, does the swash then become the weakest link?. I suspect it will so does the swash need to be replaced with the CNC blade grips.

And any thoughts on the need for the CNC rotor hub?

Thanks for all the great info I am finding in the MSR X threads. Hope to be able to add some soon.

newhelicrasher
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
The rule to follow in rc car racing is if using aluminum parts to never have two aluminum parts joining each other as the stress is indeed transfered to the next part as aluminum is much stiffer obviously. The theory is you want certain parts to break before other more expensive parts. On parts that dont usually give regardless of material it doesnt matter.

So based on this theory I still think the hub and grips are fine because I believe the weakest link in a crash now will still be blades or perhaps a main shaft but unlikely. Aluminum is mostly a bling mod rather than an upgrade imho but that may not be the case with the extreme hub as I heard it has more weight thus changing the cog higher in the bird....which supposedly makes it handle a bit better especially for noobs.

I dont know if that is true but I read that on another forum.

I dont think that not having the hub will hurt at all either as I dont see how to break the guides without breaking the plastic rods or popping them off which will happen first.

I think all ball links should be ideally titanium....but i guess aluminum is better than plastic.

ronj
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
newhelicrasher, thanks for your thoughts. The guideline to not connecting cnc to cnc is a great suggestion.

I am wondering if I change to a cnc blade grip only, what is the next weak point. Will it be the blades, the hub, the linkages or the swash. Other than the linkage, do I need to change one of these other parts to a cnc version, or can I get away with the cnc blade grips alone.

Has anyone installed the cnc blade grip alone who can share their observations.

Thanks, ronj

Edwii
03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
newhelicrasher, thanks for your thoughts. The guideline to not connecting cnc to cnc is a great suggestion.

I am wondering if I change to a cnc blade grip only, what is the next weak point. Will it be the blades, the hub, the linkages or the swash. Other than the linkage, do I need to change one of these other parts to a cnc version, or can I get away with the cnc blade grips alone.

Has anyone installed the cnc blade grip alone who can share their observations.

Thanks, ronj

I am pretty sure the swash is the second weakest point on the mrsx, my rule of thumb is if it has plastic ball links, it's gonna brake.

The guide line for cnc to cnc makes sense, but I would think in this case it doesnt overly apply. The swash and grips are connected via plastic links, the hub and links are joined by the feathering shaft and rubber washers , and they are all mounted on the cf main shaft. in theory the most likely thing to take damage is the feathering shaft(which people manage to bend with stock parts) The main shaft, which is quite strong, and easy to make yourself to replace and the blades themselves. I don't think you have to worry about damaging any cnc parts even if you had an entire cnc head set, if they are gonna get damaged in a crash whether they be the only cnc part or among every cnc part they should take the same amount of damage.

newhelicrasher
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I am pretty sure the swash is the second weakest point on the mrsx, my rule of thumb is if it has plastic ball links, it's gonna brake.

The guide line for cnc to cnc makes sense, but I would think in this case it doesnt overly apply. The swash and grips are connected via plastic links, the hub and links are joined by the feathering shaft and rubber washers , and they are all mounted on the cf main shaft. in theory the most likely thing to take damage is the feathering shaft(which people manage to bend with stock parts) The main shaft, which is quite strong, and easy to make yourself to replace and the blades themselves. I don't think you have to worry about damaging any cnc parts even if you had an entire cnc head set, if they are gonna get damaged in a crash whether they be the only cnc part or among every cnc part they should take the same amount of damage.

I agree fully which is why I mentioned on these birds once you go to aluminum grips the parts that are going to see the most stress are going to be blades and main shaft and possibly the feathering pins....so now it doesnt matter which hub that you use. I never heard of anyone breaking the plastic on the stock hub.Now net weight gain/savings is another topic all together.

crashycanuck
03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I never heard of anyone breaking the plastic on the stock hub.Now net weight gain/savings is another topic all together.

i did. one side of the guide for the links broke off. still flew fine because the other side held everything straight, but ive replaced the main hub with the RKH piece.

BigRHS
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM

On one of my MSRX's ( the one i fly the most ) I only have the MH Alum. blade grips and have had it that way for a couple of weeks and i have not broke anything on the main shaft as far as the swash, anti-rotation hub, links, or any of those parts so I guess i have been lucky. And I have put it through the ringer too !
Now today I had a bad crash but did not break anything on the head or fly shaft, but i did have some bad damage that I just got done fixing.
It broke the antenna, off the board and somehow broke the battery cable loose from the board. But I did get both soldered back on and she flew great. but soldering the battery cable on was a bit_h ! just not much room.
I do have the alum. hub coming and the RK swash so I will probably find out what the next weakest point is !

newhelicrasher
03-22-2012, 11:35 PM
On one of my MSRX's ( the one i fly the most ) I only have the MH Alum. blade grips and have had it that way for a couple of weeks and i have not broke anything on the main shaft as far as the swash, anti-rotation hub, links, or any of those parts so I guess i have been lucky. And I have put it through the ringer too !
Now today I had a bad crash but did not break anything on the head or fly shaft, but i did have some bad damage that I just got done fixing.
It broke the antenna, off the board and somehow broke the battery cable loose from the board. But I did get both soldered back on and she flew great. but soldering the battery cable on was a bit_h ! just not much room.
I do have the alum. hub coming and the RK swash so I will probably find out what the next weakest point is !

I dont want to curse you but I predict the next thing you break will either be blades or a canopy post on the frame. Maybe you will never break anything again and that is my sincere hope but if you do break something I bet it is one of those parts.

So far I have no aluminum parts (waiting for mailman to deliver treats from rhk) and I have broken the following parts:
Blade grips....three sets....have been flying the longest on a modified set of broken grips lha had no more so I replaced a ball with a screw....now they dont break...or havent yet.

Main frame....left side upper canopy post.

1set of main blades...currently superglued and working well. Broke both of the blades in 2 seperate crashes right at the blade grip.

Canopy has a small wrinkle in the nose ....was a huge dent popped back out as good as possible...hardly noticable...but I notice.

BigRHS
03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I dont want to curse you but I predict the next thing you break will either be blades or a canopy post on the frame. Maybe you will never break anything again and that is my sincere hope but if you do break something I bet it is one of those parts.

So far I have no aluminum parts (waiting for mailman to deliver treats from rhk) and I have broken the following parts:
Blade grips....three sets....have been flying the longest on a modified set of broken grips lha had no more so I replaced a ball with a screw....now they dont break...or havent yet.

Main frame....left side upper canopy post.

1set of main blades...currently superglued and working well. Broke both of the blades in 2 seperate crashes right at the blade grip.

Canopy has a small wrinkle in the nose ....was a huge dent popped back out as good as possible...hardly noticable...but I notice.

I bought the one i fly the most from itsmillertime0 and he broke a upper canopy mounting post. But he found a good fix that is much stronger than the oem mounts. he replaced both upper mounts with a solid CF rod and so far ( knock on wood ) they have held up to some hard crashes, but I am sure I will brake more.........that's the nature of the beast I guess......especially when learning.

newhelicrasher
03-22-2012, 11:57 PM
That is one of the main reasons I got the rhk frame...the canopy mounts are just pieces of 1.5 mm carbon rod and are held in with screws......easy fix so hopefully will be my last full frame replacement on the msrx...my mcx2 is on its third frame.

BigRHS
03-23-2012, 12:07 AM
yea, I love that frame !
That will be my next upgrade, but at $42 for it, I think i will put my order in next month. I have just spent too much this month ! I am going to order a new canopy as soon as I can find out which canopies will fit. i know the MSR will fit with re-doing the holes but i am wondering if the MCPX will fit also. I have never seen a MCPX and i don't know if it is about the same size or a little bigger ?

newhelicrasher
03-23-2012, 01:56 AM
I really like the extreme canopies. Only thing is others have it would love a one piece clear lexan one to paint myself.

Edwii
03-23-2012, 02:03 AM
I have never seen a MCPX and i don't know if it is about the same size or a little bigger ?

it's different for sure, wider and shorter.
Pretty sure they make a frame that is mcpx specific.

newhelicrasher
03-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I really like the extreme canopies. Only thing is others have it would love a one piece clear lexan one to paint myself.

IMHO the stock msrx canopy is much better looking than the stock mcpx canopy even though the msrx is the lesser of both birds it looks much more agressive like an angry red hornet and it kind of sounds like one two when you have a brain to thumb short in your circuitry and wizz it past your head full throttle within a foot as you duck.under it to avoid decapitation ( ok your not going to get decapitated but still)....haha.

BigRHS
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't really want the stock mcpx canopy, just wondering if it would work in case i wanted to try one of the after market canopies made to fit it.

Paulyaul
03-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Out of boredom and frustration I decided to try and glue the link ball back onto the grip with some cheap superglue I got from the dollar-store. I can't believe how well it worked so I had to share. I've tried breaking them off with my thumbnail, as hard as I can and they won't budge. If I can get the linkages to hold this will be a real win as I've already sunk about $20 on grips in the past 2 months.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ojkxUxu31rrtaq2o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1333167055&Signature=WlL6w6F7Cgg7ALwwzivpArVPIDo%3D