PDA

View Full Version : Walkera Tx: Best "bang for the buck"?

intro
03-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I'd like to get a V120D02S But don't know which Tx to package it with.

I don't plan to get other Walkera's at this time, so I don't want such a pricey Tx that I "break the bank". I don't want something that's so "bare bones" it gives me a headache either.

Show me some balance,here...Devo's? Pro's? What's the best deal for just one heli?

Thanks!

zvok
03-22-2012, 04:14 AM
I'd like to get a V120D02S But don't know which Tx to package it with.

I don't plan to get other Walkera's at this time, so I don't want such a pricey Tx that I "break the bank". I don't want something that's so "bare bones" it gives me a headache either.

Show me some balance,here...Devo's? Pro's? What's the best deal for just one heli?

Thanks!

What is your definition of breaking the bank?

Is it $50? $130? or $230 maybe $500?

By the way don't knock the Walkera transmitters.

PittJitsu
03-22-2012, 04:33 AM
What is your definition of breaking the bank?

Is it $50? $130? or $230 maybe $500?

By the way don't knock the Walkera transmitters.

+1. I love my walkera TX and I use it to fly most of my fleet. Buy a good one, it will come in handy later in you flying life.

intro
03-22-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm not knocking ANYBODY:roll:.
How did you even GET there from what I wrote?

I'm just trying to establish which Tx is the best one for the money.

You TOLD me you love your Tx....but you didn't NAME it.
You TOLD me to get a good one...but you didn't say WHAT one THAT WAS.

Could somebody just tell me what you have and whether it's good enough?

Will a Walkera Tx talk to other brands of heli's? I thought they were just for Walkeras...

HRPuffnstuff
03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Well you can buy walkera rx and put it in anything that you want to fly. That was my thinking when I invested in my devo 8s radio. I like it better than my dx6i, the color touch screen is way better plus being able to receive telemetry is just what I wanted. You still didn't answer us as to how much you want to spend.

ChitownMatt
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I have the dev7.
It works just fine and the gimbals are great.
But, if I had to do it over I would get the 8s. Navigating The dev7's rediculously non-intuitive menus is a real PITA. No direct USB. Plus now that I have a Mini, I kinda wish I had telem.

But as far as direct function and model control with the Dev7, I have absolutely no complaints.

Heli-opolis
03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I've the Devo-8/S and really enjoy it, having flown pretty much nothing but Futaba TX's over the past few decades, although after flying a flying buddy's bird, which was paired to a Devo-6, I'm half tempted to trade someone my -8/S for their 6!

I'll only ever use 6 channels anyway and I actually like the 'toy' size as it puts my thumbs in a more natural position to be able to isolate vertical and horizontal stick movement more easily.

From a functionality point of view, my Devo-8/S blows all my Futaba TX's away although the stick and control movement on my Futaba's are pure silk AND, I can rotate their sticks to put them in the plane best suited to my hands.

6 dozen of one, half of the other, you know how it is. ;)

Given a choice though, I'd go with a 6, 8 or 12 over a 7 or a 10 as the difference is more than just the graphical screen. Just sayin'.

ZIMMY1958
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I have the 2801 pro and I fly 4 different helis and a sim also, like it fine but I'm looking ad the devo8 in the future want the telementry and new screan :) helis are trex 450 3gx, genius cp, lama3, v120d02s (soon) and sim is phoenix

intro
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Thx for all the info. Great food for thought!

Actually I could probably afford ANY tx, but NOBODY can afford to waste cash.

There was a great package on Ebay that came with a Devo7, But it doesn't look very easy to use or configure (compared to the 8-s 6 and pro's) I'm more torn between the 8 and the 6. I've already got a DX6i and a DX7, so it's not really about flying other stuff, but WTH if they make one that'll do other brands, I'd SURE look at that also.

HRPuffnstuff
03-22-2012, 06:54 PM
The wk or devo will do any brand all you need is the tx and the rx which is also sold seperately.

intro
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
So you're saying I could use a Walkera Tx with...say...my Trex as long as I installed a Walkera Rx.. I get that. But...(I hate to show my copious ignorance. Or have I done that already?). Would a Spektrum Rx and a Walkera Rx be a direct swap? If so...why not just pop a Spektrum radio into a Walkera? Or is there more to it?

dbennettya
03-22-2012, 09:13 PM
So you're saying I could use a Walkera Tx with...say...my Trex as long as I installed a Walkera Rx.. I get that. But...(I hate to show my copious ignorance. Or have I done that already?). Would a Spektrum Rx and a Walkera Rx be a direct swap? If so...why not just pop a Spektrum radio into a Walkera? Or is there more to it?

Way more to it than you stated, do a search on Spektumizing a 4g6.

The best bang for the buck today is the WK-2801pro TX for Walkera but in the future they may dump it :mad: I don't think the Mini CP is available for the WK-2801 TX yet only Devo so far.

That said I have no Devo TXs and will not buy one so they better make dual RX support available or they will lose lots of customers.

Good Luck, Don

BHChieftain
03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
I've been really happy with the Devo8-- ergonimics are good, stick feel is good, interface is really good (but hard to read outside).

I personally am not ready to risk my bigger helis with a walkera RX/TX combo... but for my V120D02S it is nice.

Chief

zadaw
03-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I would say the best bang for the buck is the Devo 12. It is a poor man's Futaba 18MZ that sells for $3000. Now wonder It is now selling well as a standalone transmitter where I am. It stands out in a cabinet with transmitters from other brands.

For most intents and purposes though, the Devo 8s will be fine. You can also consider the Devo 10 that is more like a traditional transmitter.

Heli-opolis
03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I was happy with the -8 until I got a -6 in my hands.

The -8 is like all the other TXs I have, that all seem to have standardized around a given size.

A given size that no one could ever explain to me why it had to be that big and more importantly, why it had to STAY that big when the innards just kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller over the past half century!

Anyhoo, the -6 felt really nice in my hands and all of a sudden I didn't need rotated sticks to isolate vertical and horizontal stick movement as much as I usually did.

That said, the -8, for its size, feels very natural and fits the hands well.

inner3
03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
The devo 8s is awesome, best transmitter I have. I am happy with it, more so than the helicopters! I don't know why people are saying they won't put it in a bigger bird, guess that is just fear which I can understand, I won't let anyone wash my Vette other than me or the body shop. But I am going to get a Trex 450 3GX pretty soon and I will use the devo 8s. The new receivers for walkera are way better then the previous versions so I say go for it.

jonbailie
03-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Of price weren't an issue, I'd grab the devo 12s. If it were, I'd pick up he devo 8s or 2801 pro. I use the 2801 pro right now for all my walkeras and also the rest of my fleet, including my new 600efl pro. Works great for me, and has all the features I need. Sooner or later I'll get a nicer radio, just for the niceness factor, but for now the 2801 pro works really well for me. Lots of people here are using the 2801 pro, too, and love it. A lot of other people seem to like the devo 8s too.

Walkeras transmitters are nice radios with lots of useful features. Chances are, you'll like whatever you buy. The coolness, though, comes with the Devon's touch screen and all that jazz :thumbup:

intro
03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Went ahead and scored a WK 2801. It gets here next week. I was torn...sounds like aDevo 6, 8, or 12 woulda been great also, But for one bird, the price was right. Thanks all for the info!

BHChieftain
03-23-2012, 11:37 PM
The devo 8s is awesome, best transmitter I have. I am happy with it, more so than the helicopters! I don't know why people are saying they won't put it in a bigger bird, guess that is just fear which I can understand, I won't let anyone wash my Vette other than me or the body shop. But I am going to get a Trex 450 3GX pretty soon and I will use the devo 8s. The new receivers for walkera are way better then the previous versions so I say go for it.

It isn't so much the TX-- I have never had a glitch on the TX side, but I have had an RX burn up in smoke (which caused a crash on my V120D02S) for no apparent reason...

Chief

zadaw
03-24-2012, 03:54 AM
It isn't so much the TX-- I have never had a glitch on the TX side, but I have had an RX burn up in smoke (which caused a crash on my V120D02S) for no apparent reason...

Chief

This also happens with MCPx receivers as well. The most important issue is whether the standalone receivers such as the rx801 or rx802 are reliable or not. The fact that Walkera would release an expensive transmitter such as the Devo 12 does indicate that they are confident in their technology. As for long range models, there appears to be a big difference in range between different 2.4G systems. Airtronics and Futaba are generally reported to have the longest range.

zvok
03-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Went ahead and scored a WK 2801. It gets here next week. I was torn...sounds like aDevo 6, 8, or 12 woulda been great also, But for one bird, the price was right. Thanks all for the info!

For the same price as the Wk-2801you could get the DEVO10 which is the latest in the series.

If you can swap, swap!