PDA

View Full Version : Metal Head Upgrade

mossman
04-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm looking for a metal head for my Belt CP V2 but all of the U.S. suppliers I can find are sold out. I found a couple Chinese distributors, but would rather not order overseas. Does anyone happen to have a metal head they want to part with? Can someone recommend a good U.S.-based supplier that stocks parts for the Belt CP V2?

ChopperNoob
04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Mate, I'd stay away from the Chinese ones, I just fitted one to my belt before I sold it and they are utter crap! More slop than the plastic ones. The one I fitted was a purple cnc one specifically for the belt. Garbage.

You'll probably be better going down the clone trex head route. Like a copter x or exi. There is a thread on here somewhere showing what you need to do.

copterboy
04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
+1 The supersticky at top of the main page is the place to do some research, and feel free to come back if you have any more questions.

The CopterX and EXI heads are great value. Might aswell order a cheap align clone head from oversea's, then you can replace any broken parts in the head with genuine align which are readily available everywhere in the US.

I got my CopterX head from EHirobo, but other places sell them too. Think it's XHeli.com for EXI stuff. Best stock up on some spare flybar's, main and feathering shafts if you can stretch your funds that far.

To get an align head to work properly, you will also need some align main blades, and paddles (KBDD's are cheap, good and easily available stateside too).

Oh, and the Clone T-Rex V2 head is best compatible with the belt IMO. :thumbup:

mossman
04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
The pink colored CNC parts you are referring are all sold out on the website I am using, but they have another brand (Xtreme) which is a bit more expensive (good sign?) and everything I need is in stock. I can replace the entire head (minus the swash) for under $100. Should I go for it?

jperkosk
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Nope, it's probably quite worthless.

Check this out, EXI CNC head + tail combo for $29:

http://www.xheli.com/exicncmerohe.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-94582326164583_2204_42665345

copterboy
04-04-2012, 01:49 AM
That's the one Jerry :thumbup:

I realised I said Align Main Blades, but what I meant was Align compatible main blades. Can get some good deals on ebay if you search for 325mm blades.

E-Sky blades are thicker, so don't fit in the align/clone blade grips. Modifying e-sky woodies to fit is a no-go, as it's unsafe to remove the plastic tabs!!

ragge1
04-04-2012, 03:05 AM
+1 for the sticky threads

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=107467&page=27

mossman
04-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Yeah, that is the one I was looking at. Wow, that's cheap! (meaning inexpensive). Has anyone put one of these are their heli? If so, how is it working out? Can I simply disconnect the links and main shaft from the gears on my CP V2 and insert this new head with Align blades? If so, that's pretty straightforward. Only drawback is that this part is from China isn't it? That means I still have to deal with overseas suppliers when I need replacement parts.

mossman
04-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Just placed an order for an Align TREX 450 PRO metal head, 325 mm carbon fiber blades, and flybar with paddles ($65 total). Should be here in 2-5 days. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it's as easy as pulling out the stock Esky head and inserting the new one.

copterboy
04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Hmmm...this should be interesting? The PRO head normally comes with fixed links, so you may find you need to order a set of adjustable links so it can be adjusted to work on the belt.. Maybe if it is a clone PRO head, it may come with adjustable links, as the manufacturers know it can be stuck onto many different bird's, so you maybe ok?

I also found that the pro head has different sized mixing arms than the V2 head, so far as I know, your the first to fit one to try and fit one to a belt cp!! Because of the different head geometry, it maybe difficult to get a good pitch range out of it, but I will be happy if you can prove me wrong :thumbup:

The mixing arms are actually longer, so te head might actually need less movement of the swashplate to get the same range?

Please let us know how you get on :cheers
As I said before, if you got the V2 head, it's guaranteed to work, and once you need parts for it, they can be swapped out with original align stuff as the are clones.

mossman
04-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Now I'm worried. I figured the trex 450 would work since it is made by Align (isn't it).

As I said before, if you got the V2 head, it's guaranteed to work, and once you need parts for it, they can be swapped out with original align stuff as the are clones.

Can you reiterate what you mean about the "V2 Head"? I like the sound of buying something cheaper that will fit my Belt CP and then swapping out with Align when needed. What exactly are the parts I need?

ragge1
04-04-2012, 05:31 PM
give the pro head a try , the fixed link are an advantage as you will just have two links to adjust

mossman
04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
This is the one I got: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=align+trex+450+pro&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1271&bih=798&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=23Z8Emdk1MAVwM:&imgrefurl=http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t514390p1/&docid=f_tnkcWGIhH-_M&imgurl=http://www.amoney.org/images/rc/heli/450/trex_450_pro_11.jpg&w=1000&h=645&ei=U9h8T8LWLOLq0gGl-rSMDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=775&vpy=433&dur=2781&hovh=180&hovw=280&tx=148&ty=115&sig=105623740848472762835&page=1&tbnh=126&tbnw=195&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:92

Regarding the fixed links...couldn't I just use the adjustable links from my Belt CP? If you honestly don't think this is going to work on my heli, please let me know now so I can cancel my order. And I'll ask again, exactly what head is compatible with the Align parts? The Exi or the CopterX (or both)? And if these heads are fully compatible with Align parts, then shouldn't Align parts be compatible with my Belt CP. And I thought Align was an American brand? Someone please explain. And are the fixed links going to make it difficult to track the blades? If it makes a difference, I am using a non-programmable transmitter.

Update...I ordered some adjustable link rods for the new head. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Gedexas
04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
My advice: Get the EXI PRO head, a 220mm flybar and some light CF paddles. If you're learning to hover, stock paddles and flybar are fine, otherwise, the EXI paddles that come with a pro are too heavy and the flybar is too short for decent performance.

You can keep the AR bracket where it is if you use the stock swash, you will just need to replace the inner swash balls, or get the metal Blade 450 swash, but I'm not sure about the ball size on that. The 450 clone swash will not work because there's a servo in the rear that's attached to the AR pin.

You will probably need to use the stock mainshaft and if the upper jesus bolt hole does not line up, you'll need to shave the top of the shaft down.

Some people do the AR bracket mod, that way you can use the 450 swash, but the AR bracket ends up way too close to the motor, which may or may not be a problem for you.

Also, a 450 PRO head has some pretty stiff dampers, so a higher headspeed is required, which may or may not be a problem, if you want to extend your flight times by running lower head speed (very important for a beginner) get the "sport" head and some soft dampers.

mossman
04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
What do you mean by "CF" paddles? Where can I get the 450 sport head you speak of? Is this it: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2126/Trex-450-SPORT-Tarot/Detail. And does this head require any of the modifications you mentioned? I really need someone to walk me through this. Keep in mind I already ordered the PRO head, but can always cancel my order or return the parts. Too late, parts were already shipped. From what I have gathered, the CopterX and EXI heads are clones of the Align TREX. Is this accurate? If so, I should be in good shape since I ordered a genuine TREX head, right? If not, where did I go wrong, aside from getting the PRO head as opposed to the Sport head?

Gedexas
04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
What do you mean by "CF" paddles?

CF stands for carbon fiber, these are the lightest paddles I have found to work well with a 450 PRO head. One good example here: http://helidirect.com/carbon-fiber-flybar-paddle-for-t-rex-450-p-6858.hdx

Note that CF paddles are not a requirement, just based on my experience, they work MUCH better than the plastic paddles EXI sent me. If you have ordered a non-EXI head, this advice is probably not accurate.

Where can I get the 450 sport head you speak of? Is this it: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2126/Trex-450-SPORT-Tarot/Detail. And does this head require any of the modifications you mentioned?

A sport head is any "SE" or other non-PRO head, they have narrower head hub, which makes the blade grips "looser", especially when combined with soft dampers. The PRO head is still a very good head, it just allows for less blade flapping, which will make your tail jump up and down if the head speed is too slow.

I really need someone to walk me through this. Keep in mind I already ordered the PRO head, but can always cancel my order or return the parts. Too late, parts were already shipped.

It's fine, you're not alone on this site and the head you ordered is fine.

From what I have gathered, the CopterX and EXI heads are clones of the Align TREX. Is this accurate? If so, I should be in good shape since I ordered a genuine TREX head, right? If not, where did I go wrong, aside from getting the PRO head as opposed to the Sport head?

The CopterX and EXI are clones of ALIGN, which is good, since the parts are compatible between each of those helicopters, well, most of the time, anyway. Otherwise, the suggestion to get EXI as opposed to any other head was purely due to cost, a genuine ALIGN head is considerably more expensive while offering pretty much the same performance as the clones do.

The sport head would still require same modifications to the swashplate or the helicopter frame in case of moving the AR bracket.

If you look at some pictures of the T-Rex swashplate vs. Blade,E-Sky, you will see the necessity for the modification right away. The T-Rex swash has the AR pin and the ball link in one piece as opposed to the E-Sky swashplate, where AR pin is separate.

copterboy
04-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, got work to do!

I'm not saying the PRO head won't work, I'm saying I've not known anyone put one on a belt before.

As Gedexas is recommending the EXI Pro head, maybe he know's something I don't.

The point I was making is you may need to replace some extra bits to get the PRO head working on the belt.

Wether you have a clone PRO head, or clone V2 head, either way you can still swap parts with align originals. Thats why most people recommend buying a cheap clone head and waiting for delivery from oversea's, then using locally available align parts for crash repairs etc. So long as it's an align clone or proper align head, you should be good with readily available parts :thumbup:

ragge1
04-05-2012, 04:06 AM
before my beloved belt had to go so if I racall correctly , I was using fixed links on it , was using fix links on all my 450 before going FBL , it was easier setting the head as you got less links to adjust :)
here is a pic of mine and at the end I was borrowing parts from the head to use on my other helis , not sure if you can see but still got a fix link installed on the head :)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/ragge1/IMG_0053-1.jpg

mossman
04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me :thumbup:. I understand now. I'll let you know how it goes.

mossman
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Turns out it is a clone 450 PRO head, which is why it was so inexpensive. It wasn't advertised as such though. Whatever. I had to return the first one I received because the two pins that slide up and down on the hub were bending outward. It appears as though someone may have built it using the wrong part. I received the second one yesterday and it is correct. And all the links are adjustable which is a good thing. I haven't had a chance to install it yet. Will probably do so this weekend.

copterboy
04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Sounds like that first one was a 'Friday afternooner' as it's known :roll:

Glad to hear your all ready to install. As always, give us a shout if you get stuck, and share some pics of how you get on, if you have time :thumbup: