PDA

View Full Version : slow CCW rotation: how to trim?

rhodesengr
04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I am getting a very slight CCW rotation. I thought I've read not to use TX trim to make adjustments so how can I stop this rotation? I don't see andything the the BeastX menus.

I am running the AR7200BX on a Gaui X2. Just doing hovering and some mild FF and I have to hold a little right rudder most of the time.

latte
04-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Have you done the tail-tuning part in the stickie here?

If you have, and still have drifting, then it is a sign of a vibration somewhere.

You are correct though, that you shouldnt use any trim or subtrim to try to fix this.

rhodesengr
04-07-2012, 09:31 PM
well I re-read the sticky and honestly my flying ability is not anywhere near the level required for step 6. My parameter D is on purple which I think was the original suggestion here. I can put it back to red "medium" and see if that helps. I might be able to do step 7 if I understood it better. Use a rate mode setting for the gain and change the rod length to compensate for tendency to rotate. I might be able to pull that off but I have never run in rate mode and when I have tried it the sim, I generay lose control.

maybe I'll just live with the slow drift.

scott s
04-07-2012, 11:46 PM
crank up your hh tail gain till the heli tail wobbles in a hover then back the gain down exactly 10% then start from there. It should be solid enough for a beginner

nwmtech
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Set Parameter D back to Red. Increase your tail gain in about 5% increments in your radio until it goes away. Make sure
you're using the 3M tape as well.

Generally, a CCW rotation in a hover is a main tail gain way too low. Usually a CW drift is vibration. Those are just broad generalizations though

rhodesengr
04-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Set Parameter D back to Red. Increase your tail gain in about 5% increments in your radio until it goes away. Make sure
you're using the 3M tape as well.

Generally, a CCW rotation in a hover is a main tail gain way too low. Usually a CW drift is vibration. Those are just broad generalizations though

will try tomorrow. I am using the 3M tape from the beginning. My first flight, I had put param D on purple (I think that was the set up suggestion here) and picked some nominal TX gain. The tail wagged so I lowered the gain and the wag went away. After a number of flights I started noticing the CCW drift. Not always but in parts of the flight. It was a little windy today so maybe that was taxing the heading hold.

latte
04-08-2012, 05:44 AM
It could also be a little too low headspeed for the tail-rotor to get enough authority.

But the BeastX is a really good tail-gyro, and should not allow any heli to drift as long as its in HH mode.

Blade balancing, mainshaft etc, it all has to be perfect.

rhodesengr
04-08-2012, 11:17 AM
It could also be a little too low headspeed for the tail-rotor to get enough authority.

I did just lower the pinion gear from 15T to 13T (this is on a gaui X2 with 3600kV motor) so the head speed was lower yesterday. However, I was seeing the CCW drift the day before with the 15T gear. I am hopeful that increasing the gain will fix it. I'll know in a bit.

rhodesengr
04-08-2012, 03:27 PM
just to update: The slow CCW rotation is gone. I put param D to red and upped my TX setting from 63% to 70%. The rotation seems to be gone. I'll try upping the gain to see where wagging sets in as recommended and then bacl down.

Thanks for everyone's input.

latte
04-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Glad you got it worked out! =)

nwmtech
04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
:thumbup: