PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, not again

gtrsteele
04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Just finished hooking up and testing all my servo "throws" after getting a new dx8 and ar8000. Everything seemed fine. I went to check the blade tracking (in IU) and the motor would sputter and barely turn. I thought I had set the throttle "reverse" incorrectly. When I reversed it it spooled up and wouldn't stop even with a throttle cut. Then my heli went off the edge of the patio and needless to say a lot of damage. The motor was still spinning when I got to it. Thank goodness the blades and grips broke off and the main gear seized so I could get to the battery to shut it down. That motor was hot!
What did I do wrong. Something in the RX set up: I triple checked what blade uses for setting. Servo's hooked up wrong? Any ideas?

spykez
04-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Did you bind the receiver at 0 throttle? (failsafe - check the AR6115e manual). ie normal mode and throttle at lowest (zero position), no trims.

Note: don't bind it in TH (10%) - I think I tried that once and had issues getting the TH to work. Can't recall the exact reason for 10%, someone explained it once. Fell out of my head.

Edit: http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=3631666&postcount=21

I am not sure what the ESC would think or do if you bound it at idle up, or reversed :confused:.

gtrsteele
04-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I am pretty sure I was in normal mode with the throttle down when I binded it. I was in IU when I went to check the blade tracking and that's when the motor starting sputtering and then spooled up to full power.

gtrsteele
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
When I went tor figure out what was wrong with the bird today the throttle hold was working. There is somehting wrongwith the throttle at 0 stick, the motor spins slowly and I have to adjust the throttle sub trim back 32L. All main trims are at 0.

spykez
04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Just an idea, with the benefit of the retrospectoscope, if in doubt take the head off (and probably tail linkage rod off) and anchor it down and see what happens.

When I built my last heli, my scorpion that came with it had no indication on the wires as to which way to plug it into the ESC so I basically tried the motor out prior to mounting, so I had a rough set-up that I thought was approximately correct to start with, before I built up everything else.

gtrsteele
04-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Yea, it never occurred to me that the new RX and TX would have a different output "level" than the stock ones because they are the same brand.
I knew I had the servos, gyro and ESC hooked up right because I transferred them over one at a time to the RX. I also tested them before I ever tried to fly the heli. Anyway, lesson learned although it will be an expensive one.

gtrsteele
04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
When went to the LHS to pick up parts the throttle was working normally with the travel set back to 100%. All this changing of values one its own is worrying me about the RX and TX. Inconsistency is not good.