PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Jitters

danster628
04-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Just wanted to find out who has had the jitters the 1st time they spooled up their 550. I spooled mine up for the 1st time today and I almost messed my pants! I have a 400 and I didn't have these jitters when I spooled that up.

fxdwb69
04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I've flown mine about 30 times and I still get the jitters! Before this I had a 250 and I also have a mcpx. That's it. I'm wondering when I'll get the gnads to flip it...

shein95
04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Oh yeah, big time. I had a 450 for only about 2-3 months when I got the 550 and man, when I heard that thing spool up for the first time. It floated right up nice and smooth and then got little shaky. I didn't understand why the collective was so jerky until I looked down and saw my thumbs shaking.

dominoedge
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Just finished building mine and it spun fine on the bench with no blades -- and that was terrifying enough. Once I spun it up with blades for a quick test, it whipped around in circles before liftoff which was scary. Think I need to run the setup again and make sure the gyro gain and direction is set right.

/running AR7200BX if anyone has some tips

faceman425
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Me too when I first put mine up. Right now I have only 2 packs for my 550. The first one is usually not much fun cause my hands are shaking. By the second flight it goes away and I get comfortable with it. The more I fly it though its going away. Great machine to fly though. Wish the pilot was more capable so I could really wring it out!!! LOL Dam those Bert and Tareq videos on youtube! LMAO

shein95
04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Just finished building mine and it spun fine on the bench with no blades -- and that was terrifying enough. Once I spun it up with blades for a quick test, it whipped around in circles before liftoff which was scary. Think I need to run the setup again and make sure the gyro gain and direction is set right.

/running AR7200BX if anyone has some tips

Was it just a big kick or full blown piro? If it was an uncontrollable piro you might have the direction reversed so when it tries to fight the torque it actually makes it spin more.

dominoedge
04-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Was it just a big kick or full blown piro? If it was an uncontrollable piro you might have the direction reversed so when it tries to fight the torque it actually makes it spin more.

Well, it kicked around and hit a small box and stripped the TT gear, so I'll be replacing that this weekend. I'd guess it went around 135 degrees CW... so my guess is I've got the directions backwards.

fuzion
04-11-2012, 03:08 AM
from a 450pro, i went to the field to fly my fresh-made 550e and all i did was 3 hovers. then took pictures and left the area with 4V per cell lol i was that scared

markleyland
04-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Well, it kicked around and hit a small box and stripped the TT gear, so I'll be replacing that this weekend. I'd guess it went around 135 degrees CW... so my guess is I've got the directions backwards.

Sounds like it. You might want to check the torque tube as well if you haven't already. It bends easy. Even a very small bend can cause vibrations.

As for Jitters, I get them everytime. Knees don't knock like they used to unless I'm trying something new but still get that adrenaline rush.

It's hard to explain that feeling to non flying friends, when you tell them you fly RC helicopters they just think "oh that's nice" or maybe "Geek" but little do they know right! :thumbup:

faceman425
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Mark I hear ya on the telling friends about your hobby deal! Lol what is it about these helis that makes them soon addicting? Is it the fact that they are so challenging to fly? For me I think that is it and the thought of eventually doing 3d with it. That stuff really intrigues me.

markleyland
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
For me it's that feeling of freedom it brings watching it sore through the sky. And you never stop learning something new. I remember the first time I flipped to inverted, man was I pleased with myself, and then you move on to the next challenge. :)

CyprusFlyer
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Agree, best fun in the world, try something new each session, getting comfortable inverted, odd scare now and again, step back, try it higher. Just a matter of time before a crash but its all part of the game. You can only do your best to prevent one, mentaly rehearse what you want to do and think of what to do to bailout! Try on a sim first, pays for itself many times over.

gehrbox
04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Just wanted to find out who has had the jitters the 1st time they spooled up their 550. I spooled mine up for the 1st time today and I almost messed my pants! I have a 400 and I didn't have these jitters when I spooled that up.

No jitters, compared to my 600n the 550 seems quiet and calm.

Ron~FordTech
04-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Well, it kicked around and hit a small box and stripped the TT gear...Let me say right upfront that I'm no expert -- and I am not trying to be an a**hat -- but why oh why would you have spun up a big machine like this with foreign objects within the boom-swing radius?! And on the very first spool up with blades on?! Zounds!!

corrosionate
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I usd to be nervous with my 450's when i considered them to be my "big" helis. Then i got my 550. On first flight iwas terrified. I spun it up and shut it down 3 times before i had the nerve to keep it spinning and try for a lift off. after my first successful 550 flight, my 450 felt like a toy. 5 minutes after my first 550 flight, i took my 450 and did my first ever stall turns, and by the end of that battery pack i had performed my first front flips, and sideways flips (like a stationary roll). I was no longer nervous with a 450. I continued to be nervous each time i flew the 550 until i spun up my 600. Now the 550 doesnt freak me out at all and my 600 is a big scary monster. I think that the only cure is to get a bigger heli each time! But dont upgrade too quickly, enjoy the adrenaline rush as much as you can. Gotta keep life exciting! After a few intense heli flights, i like to fly airplanes to relax.

Good luck, and be safe with your new monster, youre going to love it. I think if i could only have one heli, it would either be my 550, or my Protos 500. I cant Decide.

-kenny-
04-11-2012, 01:39 PM
This might sound strange but I had the jitters big time, and for a long time, flying my 450 coming from the mcpx. But coming from the 450 to the 550 was a much smaller step-up for me. I still get tingles in my hands before flying it but once it's in the air i feel pretty comfortable. I'm still on my toes offcourse, but nothing like when I was first flying my 450. That little rocket had me pretty nervous every single time, untill I finally got the nerves to flip it. From that point on all the nerves went away and now I fly it like I flew my mcpx. I guess that's why I wasn't that nervous for the 550. I was flipping it on the end of the last lipo break-in flight :lol: