PDA

View Full Version : Bad servo or??

Robban
04-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Hi, please let me know what you think and what you would do. Last weekend I had a minor "crash". I was landing and did not see that the ground was uneven so when I landed the heli tipt over and I bent the links from the blade holders to swash. So yesterday I was replacing them and all of a sudden the elevator servo (hs5245mg) started to jiggle. I played with it for a wile and it just kept on doing it on and off for some time. After some time it did not move at all, no matter what I did. All other servos worked fine. So at this point I figured it was dead. I went on the net and ordered a new one. Well today I connected it to my extra ar7200 rx and it worked just fine. I then connected it back to my sk720 on my heli and it worked there too. So what do you think? Is it the servo? Do bad servos act like this? I really hope it is not my sk720. The new servo is in the post so would it just be better to replace the old one to be safe? What would you do?

Deet
04-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Sounds like you stripped the servo gears

Robban
04-13-2012, 07:45 AM
But why would it jiggle by it self? And I can't feel that there is anything wrong with it.

flerpie
04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I would troubleshoot the problem to the bad component
by reducing the scenario to hardware minimums.

Plug the tail servo into a servo tester and see how it acts.
If you don't have a servo tester, then get one.

hudsonaj36
04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I had a servo that was going bad and would do the same thing. It would work for a minute or so and then stop. Let it sit for a while and it would work again.

You can just plug it into your reciever and work the sticks for a bit and see if the servo stops or starts to get warm/hot. The servo I have seen go bad always seemed pretty warm to the touch.

Either way I wouldn't fly with it.

Robban
04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I have played around with it and every thing seems okay. The new servo will be here on monday so I will just put that one in. I just don't know how to trubbelshoot this any more as I just can't get the same problem again. As long as it is not the sk720 there is some thing wrong with, I'm happy.

snjbird
04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
How old is it, and are the original owner?

If so send the servo to hitech, they are great, and as long as you bought it, and have a sales slip, it is free for 2 years...

Robban
04-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I bought it last summer from heliguy.com. I will contact them (heliguy or hitec) and see what they say. Thanks for the tip!

snjbird
04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Go on Hitech's web site, they have a down-loadable RMA form... It takes about three weeks, but it is free and they pay return shipping:thumbup:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/warranty-service/index.html