PDA

View Full Version : 130X or modded mcpx

Pages : 1 [2]

Ampdraw
04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
If you stop the rotor head fast in a crash I'd say there will be pontential to...
Elongate main shaft jesus screw hole
break grips
break swash
strip tail gears
strip main gears
bend spindles
f the torque tube shaft
bend tail hub screws

Those with only durable heli experience and going to be :thinking trying to figure out why the heli flies like crap after the first decent crash.

Happy to be proved wrong but this "speculation" comes from flying 2s converted Walkera 4g6's (100g auw) and a converted spektrum 4g3 (80g auw).

I'd say if you want to learn how to 3d the bl mcpx will still be the best option in small helis. If you can 3d and you just want a small one and plan on flying with the same mind space as a larger heli this will be quite nice. The Mcpx 1s high power setups will out climb this though and tail hold is pretty good with the correct parts. This should have better piro rate and nicer stops but probably more tail deviation under heavy collective due to response time and slop.

Amp

youturnjason
04-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Funny you mention the elongated screw hole amp!

Mine has been ovaled for a while now on my c05 setup, you can almost twist the head a good 45 degrees and I haven't noticed any difference in flight. Because there is constant pressure from the motor it seems to keep it at one end

Ric66
04-24-2012, 07:21 AM
I've had more trouble with cracking the mCPX hollow main shaft near the bolt holes, usually the upper. Looks like the 130X also has a hollow CF main shaft, but that can easily be upgraded to solid CF.

02stampede
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I would say go brushless now and save for the 130x since it's still months away. If you have never flown a brushless mcpx you are missing out! You will learn faster too. My M5 setup is much easier to stunt than my stocker.

Spunjah413
04-24-2012, 07:06 PM
The Mcpx 1s high power setups will out climb this though and tail hold is pretty good with the correct parts.

Just to put the potential power output of the 1S MCP X into perspective:

This past weekend I went flying with a few buddies, one of which owns a 450X. We decided to do an inverted climbout race vertically.

His is obviously bone stock. My setup was an HP08S 16.5 @ 100% Throttle, 100% Pitch travel. 8000+RPM optical tach at 0 pitch on the bench on a full batt.

Needless to say my MCP X was no more than 1ft behind climbing to easily 150-200+ FT, steady the whole time. Tail also rock solid.

litehawkdown
04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
One main motor down and the BL mcpx shopping has begun.:peace

faceman425
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Nice litehawk. Kinda bored with mine and im impatient so I may be going BL until the 130x comes out. Im gonna grab one of those as well. Really enjoy flying in my side yard and with my busy schedule (work/family) it seems to be where i fly the most. Don't think my neighbor would appreciate me buzzing him with my 550. LOL

youturnjason
04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
While I agree that a powerful MCPx can outperform a 130x in some aspects, it no longer fits in the "durable heli" category, and is probably going to be closer to the durability of the 130x, maybe even less durable.

For the OP. If you want similar headspeeds to stock with less bogging and blowouts, and don't want to do too much modifying get a c05. If you want a lot more power you can get a hp05 but to fly nicely you'll need new tail, batteries, and you'll have to keep it in tip top shape to avoid vibes.

I have one of both and love them both, but I love my mcpx for its crashability as I use it to test out new moves. Will definitely be getting a 130x but it's not gonna be a testbed for new tricks, I'm gonna treat it like a larger heli.

faceman425
04-29-2012, 08:09 AM
youturnjason

The c05 sounds like the kit im looking for. A little more power than stock and less tail blowouts. I think i have just spend my 2nd stock motor. Even full charged batteries have no headspeed to them anymore. recently read somewhere on here that you should not run the stock motor continuously pack to pack without a break in between. been doing that for around 30 packs and motor seems really tired. Is it the astroid designs kit that im looking for? want something plug and play as my MICRO soldering skills are limited to my soldering tools.

youturnjason
04-29-2012, 08:39 AM
I've got 2 birds with c05 motors, love them to bits.

I got the c05m and oversky 10A pnp from Dylan over at Astroid. It's a great setup and requires no soldering. Only thing is it requires a little bit of modifying if using the stock frame. I used the xtreme frame so no modifying was required.

My other bird I use the c05 v2 motor from hawk-rc. They also have an esc which seems to be exactly the same as the oversky one. The v2 motor has a different mounting plate so you can mount it in the stock frame and all you have to do is cut off the 2 posts around the motor area (2 snips from scissors).

I've read on the forums here that the v2 uses different windings which give it less power but personally I find them both very similar.

mkovalcson
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
I was just looking at doing two brushless upgrades and have decided to wait off.

1. My non-modified mCPX is something I can put in the hands of my friends and I have done this without being out more than a link.

2. The brushless mCPX would be pretty heavy and the crash damage will definitely go up, so why not just get a 130X and stick with stock crash parts. The prices look reasonable.

My main reason for wanting the brushless upgrade was to get solid tail authority and more power. It appears that the 130X will take care of these needs. I really don't want something that size to be "too powerful" I want it to be powerful enough to let me practice more advanced things in my back yard than I would be uncomfortable doing with my Protos 500.

Plus I have 6 x 2S 65C 325mah TP batteries just sitting around waiting for something like this :)

I'm not worried about racing larger helis with my mCPX. I've got that base covered already.

firedragon
04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
i say mine. i have an brushless mcpx hp05 with dual coreless tail kbdd main and tail. power is ok, i can't say it crash worst than stock with throttle hold, is ok for crashability . but the tail suck very mutch if i try to fly a little harder with it. i wait for an 130x and i hope it will do pyros better and have a good tail. i don't wanna fly mcpx anymore because of tail.

litehawkdown
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I was just looking at doing two brushless upgrades and have decided to wait off.

1. My non-modified mCPX is something I can put in the hands of my friends and I have done this without being out more than a link.

2. The brushless mCPX would be pretty heavy and the crash damage will definitely go up, so why not just get a 130X and stick with stock crash parts. The prices look reasonable.

My main reason for wanting the brushless upgrade was to get solid tail authority and more power. It appears that the 130X will take care of these needs. I really don't want something that size to be "too powerful" I want it to be powerful enough to let me practice more advanced things in my back yard than I would be uncomfortable doing with my Protos 500.

Plus I have 6 x 2S 65C 325mah TP batteries just sitting around waiting for something like this :)

I'm not worried about racing larger helis with my mCPX. I've got that base covered already.

+1 I am yet again on the fence on the BL mcpx.:roll:

Ampdraw
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM

A C05m or M5 motor brushless upgrade with either an extended stock tail or 7mm tail will give you more power, about the same effeciency and far better tail hold. It is lighter than a stocker and has the same crash-ability.

Amp

mkovalcson
04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
A C05m or M5 motor brushless upgrade with either an extended stock tail or 7mm tail will give you more power, about the same effeciency and far better tail hold. It is lighter than a stocker and has the same crash-ability.

Amp

Yeah, but it's a lot of effort! First you have to find all the parts you want in stock, then you either get to do a lot of soldering and flashing ESC's or you ship the parts off to someone who is well versed in this. Either way it seems like a lot of effort. Then you have to deal with lots of non-stock parts to maintain things.

I got over the upgrades beyond belief with my T550. I think I've just decided I'm not doing that again. After countless upgrades that heli is currently collecting dust.

I think I'll just click order on a 130X when it is available and be done with it.

YMMV.

youturnjason
04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
As amp said c05 setup is lighter than stock, and has the same crashability. Its also available in PNP all you need is the motor and the esc. No soldering required. Replace the stock motor, connect to the esc and 3in1, fly. Takes no more than 10 minutes.

Also I have no aftermarket parts on one of my bl birds other than solid boom.