PDA

View Full Version : What an eye opener...

Pages : 1 [2]

AzHeli-Heli
05-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Sorry about the crash. No canopy will add to the repair bill everytime

skunkworx
05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
The canopy was on it when it hit actually. Blew it off about 20' away when it bit the dust, so it wasn't in the pics I posted. Busted off 3 of the mounting tabs and I don't think I recovered them unfortunately. I don't think they're all that expensive overall though. Got bigger fish to fry if you know what I mean? lol

Thanks again for the kind words guys. It's just another crash in my eyes, so no biggie. I have always expected something to come flying apart on it, so it wasn't a surprise when it did. Just gotta buck up the cash to get it rebuilt and try again. The intial shock of a crash almost always seems like a re-kit, but it rarely ever is. A lot of stuff did get jacked up on this one, but nothing I can't recover from. Look on the bright side too: MBX, ICE120HV, all the servos, complete RX, head, and tail assembly survived and the motor doesn't look any worse for the wear either, so I'm probably in pretty good shape. I just don't like to count my chicks before they've hatched. :thumbup:

I do wish I could snag one of those reduced price kits and just start over with an electronics swap, but I doubt that'd go over well with the Mrs.

s0laris
05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Don't you also have a 6hv to fly?
Or is that in state of repair too ?

Ah Clem
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Tim,

Sorry to see this, my friend, but we all go through it.

It really does not look that bad from a parts standpoint, just a lot of labor changing the side frames and going through the whole thing.

You do fly very, very well (although you don't admit it) and you do push your machines very hard when flying-I always enjoy watching you fly.

I am looking forward to flying with you again at Miramar and at the HF FF, sir.

skunkworx
05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, with any luck I might have both of my big 600's up and running at the same time by then. The wifey just got a new job, so who knows? :)

sOl, yes the 6HV and 3D+ are both flyable, but I had to do some musical-gyros on all my birds in anticipation of getting a couple AR7200BX's which have still yet to come into fruition. I was focusing on the Fusion because I had a lot of bugs on it that I wasn't comfortable with so the 6HV and 3D+ got shelved and the Atom 500 became my auxilliary machine along with the MCPX. I only have one charger (208b) and I'm really limited on batteries as I keep destroying them in crashes (I had over $400 worth since last July and not a single set is left). :arggg:

s0laris
05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
That's crazy man. In my 7 years of flying And god knows how many flights, I have never ruined one pack ever.

You are king of bad luck :(

skunkworx
05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah. Probably should've picked a different screen name. Good thing I'm cool with wrenching, otherwise I'dve given up on RC a loooooooong time ago! :P

mtymyk
05-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I know how you feel OP, I lost 4 sets of 12s packs myself last year:( in crashes....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Slyster
05-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I know how you feel OP, I lost 4 sets of 12s packs myself last year:( in crashes....WHAT!?:wow2: In 3000+ cp flights on 10 helis in 4.5 years I have lost ONE 6s pack. And that is over 50 crashes. You guys are really unlucky.

skunkworx
05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
You probably don't fly as aggressively (interpret that as 'wrecklessly' if you wish :P) as I/we do. All of my batteries lost except one pair was from mechanical or electrical failures on my machines. Most of it comes from the altitude involved when said failures happened that causes the most damage.

Like with my Fusion, it dropped about 75' or so, and one of the batteries slid forward and was split by the frame. The other got thrown clear of the model by a good 10'-15', so it's kind of game-over at that point. The one 'dumb-thumb' that ended in battery failure/damage was a really gnarly, low, high-speed hurricane that threatened to go into the pits at a local fun-fly, so I dumped it on purpose. All the other ones were RX packs failing, losing a washer in the head during flight (my fault for not replacing it) and the servo leads popping off the RX in flight (again my fault). I do usually have my birds cranked to the redline, so the damage gets pretty ugly when something goes wrong. Just the nature of the beast...at least the Fusion went out in a pretty big way. :)

mtymyk
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Lol!! Yup, here's my breakdown:
Dumb thumb on concrete, 10 flight old Gens ace, super tacoed
Dumb thumb, tail first into gravel, damn near sheared both lipos in half
The other 2 sets, mechanical failures , bad crashes :(
Not all complete sets were toast, I think 2 out of the total 8 were fine, but I just gave them to a fellow flyer flying a Rex 500, I don't like mixing lipos up once I've been flying them as a pair, unless they have identical flight numbers as others I have

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

skunkworx
05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm going to have to come up with a battery block or something to hold the lipos a little better on both my 6HV and the Fusion. It's kinda funny to see how they both incur the same amount and same kind of damge to the batteries even though they are technically hitting in a complete different manner.

The Fusion's are inside the cage and either slide forward into the frames which cuts into them or splits them from the tomp or bottom. On mthe 6HV you mash the nose in and it shoves the packs backwards into the frame which cuts into the 2nd or 3rd cell on either pack. The 6HV's do end up getting damage on both ends (smashed on the front, split in the back) but a lot of the packs have actually survived well enough to keep flying for a while (maybe another 15-30 cycles?). I think the canopy and the compression on both ends helps distribute the damage a little bit? The ones on my Fusion were flat, dead, toast. It yanked all the wires out of one pack and split the cell connections on the other.

In any case, I too like to completely replace my packs if I can. My OCD won't let me have mixed packs (for long) unless I'm really desperate. I just don't like dealing with inconsistencies. Makes it really hard to be that way with how crappy most places are at keeping good Lipos in stock. Even big name brand ones are hard to get ahold of in popular sizes. Maybe it might be a good thing to switch to 10S afterall? :P