PDA

View Full Version : E720 vs 7HV

NRPY
04-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I am learning some smack (and loving it!). I already have a TDR for speed/big air. I want something I can just pound on. Which would you guys recommend? Probably not gonna run crazy power, but you never know. I will almost certainly use a Scorpion 4525-520 Ultimate motor, a Jive 120 HV, and an SK-720 FBL controller. Might use a Scorpion Commander V ESC if I decide to use the SK's gov. A hobby store close to me (www.amainhobbies.com (http://www.amainhobbies.com)) sells both, so parts availability shouldn't be too much of an issue either way.

What say you?

Rob43
04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I've flown the 7HV since it was first released. It's a wonderful machine, and from my experience, not much to complain about. Compass is working to improve the tail as some have struggled to get it to hold in the most demanding of moves. I say "some". Not myself. Mine has been great. The tail requires a little TLC to get it smooth. It has plastic grips, plastic hinges with metal pins, and a CNC case. I've been flying RJX metal grips, but cannot tell any difference. They look pretty, I guess.:lol:

Battery tray design is really great, and has flown quite well on heavy packs...mine are the Gens Ace 5300's. Plenty of room for the packs. Spacious frame.

I enjoy flying it at a broad range of headspeeds from 1600 to 2200. It seems agile at low speed and seems to do everything pretty well. So far, I've flown the Mavrikk G5 Pro WC 690 FBL blades and at the moment the Rail 696's with 106 tails. The G5's have more pop, and the Rails deliver really nice quiet flight with a little smoother action.

It's rugged and the parts costs are very reasonable should you need them.

Mine weighs 5.2 kg all up with the Gens Ace 5300's.

All this said, I'd like to own a G4 as well. Very nice machine indeed. It would make my short list for my next 700.

"Stolla" has both. You should hear from him...

Best wishes,

NRPY
04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your feedback. The 7HV is a really nice looking machine.

I'm trying very hard not to buy both of these helis.

Rob43
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
If I had the dough, I'd be up for both. I really like the design of the Rappy.

borntofly
04-29-2012, 07:51 AM
I haven't flown the 7HV but from the drawrings and pics i have seen it looks like a great machine.

I can however speak about the E720. I have had one for around 6 months or so. Put around 300 flights on it so far and to be honest i havent had to do much to it in terms of maintenance. Myn has been issue free from day one and i dont go easy on it lol. Its a great smack machine but fly's smooth very well too. I have found that It doesn't seem to like high speed forward flight that much though.
The setup of the servo's in my oppinion has to be the best idea i have seen. So easy and quick with no sub trim needed. The battery tray is quick and easy to install. Dont need to remove the canopy either. It's beefed up in all the right areas witch is great for confidence building. Yet to have a gear strip (tail or main), one way slip or lock up, boom strike or main shaft bend (even after a hard crash :))
It has nice wide frames (70mm i think) witch makes it great to work on and clean. Very nice metal one peice tail gear box and metal tail grips. Pretty much the standard, tried and tested bullet proof tail pitch system.

Over all i cannot fault it so far. Witch is a nice change from some of my previous models. It's pretty much a bolt together and fly type of machine witch is proving to be damn reliable :)

Sorry a bit long winded but there is so much i like about the machines.

I think either way you will be happy.

Stolla
04-29-2012, 08:04 AM
+1 , I have both and compass is nice although tail had been a letdown but it flies well with rjx upgrade, rappy lighter stronger and bigger, spares more expensive and difficult to get.needs no upgrades so a little more high end and I play it a little more carefully, but I love my 7 hv being seriously overpowered as a good value machine, they're both keepers!

Rob43
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Stolla - with overpower on the Compass, what headspeed do you run? Pinion?

I am interested in an e720 also. Ever since I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVN8j_5PWA

Stolla
04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
4 035 mk 3 yy 1.32 2200 headspeed, quite a bit stronger than 4525 ultimate. 515 kv on 15 t pinion, a wicked machine, puling over 200 amps consistently, not one time spikes!

NRPY
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
What kind of moves pull 200A consistently? Seems like a lot. I want to try some of those moves if I can, LOL!

I run an HKIII 4035-560 and it performs well overall, but I can bog it without much trouble. Sounds like it would be better if it was re-wound.

Rob43
04-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Anything with the left stick up high for a bit...speed run, power loop, etc will draw maximum current. Speed runs are especially potent, because not only is pitch sustained, which requires high torque, but also the flow is greater through the disk, for which the horsepower is proportional to the square of volumetric flow rate.

:face, Sorry. The Engineer came out.

Grok
04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Stolla, what kinda flight times are you getting?

OICU812
05-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Give me a few weeks, I'll tell ya my thoughts not that it matters. I did have a 7HV though and the E720 should be here in a week or so. I plan to try all 90Es I haven't yet, so that leaves the ballistic and the X7 is all I have left to try personally.

NRPY
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Cool! Keep us posted. I'm still trying to exercise some fiscal restraint, at task at which I usually fail miserably.

3D Dave
05-04-2012, 12:27 AM
No... you still have to try the Logo 700 ;)

I know, it will take more than a few weeks to get but it should be in the line-up too. :thumbup:

Give me a few weeks, I'll tell ya my thoughts not that it matters. I did have a 7HV though and the E720 should be here in a week or so. I plan to try all 90Es I haven't yet, so that leaves the ballistic and the X7 is all I have left to try personally.