PDA

View Full Version : KDE motor?

Pages : [1] 2

RCMike15
04-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Is the KDE motor any good for the 500, I mean it looks cool and everything but how bout performance and quality will it last, i couldn't find much about it in a way of reviews so I thought I should ask here, here's a link to it http://www.kdedirect.com/KDE500XF1450.html

RCMike15
04-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Guess its not a very popular motor

taoY
04-30-2012, 10:15 AM
This forum was created just few days ago. Very few people knows about it. Perhaps post a link in 500 forum will get more response.

I have KDE motors on my 550 and 600 pro. They run very smooth and much powerful than the stock motor. I like them a lot. Highly recommend.

Happy flying

Cheater

RCMike15
04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Yea I posted it in the 500 forum but they moved it here, but yea thanks response.

Mateyhv
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
The link is still in the 500 forum. I think they want to populate this new forum so it can take more attention.

I have never met a single person in HF who flies the KDE motor, probably because its quite new, have not received much publicity and having a hard competition in that segment of the market.

For the specs it would have been useful to add the max continuous power than the max peak power before it melts.

KDE Direct
05-03-2012, 09:14 AM
The 500 motor has been popular, but strangely, no one has been posting their findings online. :) I'll try and hunt down some customers and have them post their experience - via e-mail customers have been very happy, but unless they are having problems, many don't go to the threads. :lol:

I'll try and get a flight video filmed of the 500E PRO so you can see the performance.

KDE Direct
05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Here's one of the few older threads on the motor from a customer (buried in the 500E PRO section):

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=397145

RCMike15
05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Hey thanks KDE, yea I just ran across it when I was looking for upgrades and saw the motor I was impressed by the specs as well as the looks but I just wanted to hear some reviews before I go for it

frito169
05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
not sure about this motor but I can tell you the 700xf 495 is the most powerful of the 700/800 motors I've seen. It also looks better too.

hndaluvr
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I also fly the 700XF in my Whiplash... It's worth every penny!

My only issue with the 500 motor is... 1450kV???... really?!
They only have an offering for the old ESP T500. The new EFL is the heli that they should be focusing on, most people with ESPs are upgrading to the new EFL spec.
ESP spec motors and the like are working in flooded market, while there is currently only Scorpion that makes a motor with a kV that will work on the EFL, KDE would have been smart to offer this motor for the new bird... I would buy one if they did.
Sales will be limited (especially with it's elevated price) for the 1450kV. They need a 1600kV version to spark interest in all of us that have the latest-greatest from Align.

Heli G
05-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Am also considering the 500XF but am sceptical on the cont and peak kW specs provided by KDE. Reason being due to their "inflated" kW specs on the very popular Neu 1708. For example, KDE stated the Neu 1708 is 3+ kW whereas it is only 1.5kW peak (0.8 kW) according to Neu. Maybe KDE can shed some light on it? Incidentally I love the 1708 and it has given me fantastic service to date, but it is not a 3kW peak motor according to my logs.

haq0901
05-17-2012, 03:06 AM
I also fly the 700XF in my Whiplash... It's worth every penny!

My only issue with the 500 motor is... 1450kV???... really?!
They only have an offering for the old ESP T500. The new EFL is the heli that they should be focusing on, most people with ESPs are upgrading to the new EFL spec.
ESP spec motors and the like are working in flooded market, while there is currently only Scorpion that makes a motor with a kV that will work on the EFL, KDE would have been smart to offer this motor for the new bird... I would buy one if they did.
Sales will be limited (especially with it's elevated price) for the 1450kV. They need a 1600kV version to spark interest in all of us that have the latest-greatest from Align.

I don't understand why you can't run this motor in an EFL..... I've been running mine without any problems for a few months. I only replaced the helical gear train with straight cut gears to be able to gear it down to achieve more power. Lack of helical gears from aligns latest and greatest leaves me no choice for a desired gear ratio. Personally I prefer the motor with less KV that makes more power with less rpm(more torque and efficiency).... Even scorpion says that their 1400kv motor makes more power than the 1600kv.

hndaluvr
05-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Perhaps let me re-phrase my earlier statement...
Yes, you can use it on a new EFL, but the heli is designed with both tail and main gear ratio differences, over that in the older ESP. I don't want to have to run the straight gears. Changing the main, and running lower head speed takes a bit of power out of the tail. I've flown my EFL at ~2800 and its pretty nice, but it totally ROCKS when it's at it's sweet-spot of 3000. I like the slant gear and higher head speed of the stock kV/gearing.
I'm just hoping that KDE makes a 1600kV offering in the near future for guys like me. I'll be first in line to pick one up! They make great stuff.

Vinger
05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Perhaps let me re-phrase my earlier statement...
Yes, you can use it on a new EFL, but the heli is designed with both tail and main gear ratio differences, over that in the older ESP. I don't want to have to run the straight gears. Changing the main, and running lower head speed takes a bit of power out of the tail. I've flown my EFL at ~2800 and its pretty nice, but it totally ROCKS when it's at it's sweet-spot of 3000. I like the slant gear and higher head speed of the stock kV/gearing.
I'm just hoping that KDE makes a 1600kV offering in the near future for guys like me. I'll be first in line to pick one up! They make great stuff.
16t pinion and the 162t straight cut main gear gets you 3000 rpm HS at 70% throttle as per MrMels calculator.

KDE Direct
05-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Hey Guys -

Sorry about the delay, but I got the video up of the KDE Direct 500 (500E PRO) with all the upgrades flying on the KDE500XF-1450.

People ask me why I chose 1450Kv - and, primarily for two reason: (1) the lower Kv produces higher-torque at the same amperage as a 1600Kv version, so more efficient and (2) there were numerous performance advantages of the 1450Kv stator design that made the decision for us.

We've found in our testing that you don't need to waste flight time (due to blade drag) by running such high speeds, such as 3000rpm+. Since blade drag increased by a square of the rotor speed, the best manner to improve performance and flight time is through torque generation at the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYDOvvP9RE

hndaluvr
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Great that you guys replied to the post.
But can you tell us all what gearing (slant or straight cut), pinion / main gearing numbers, and what head speed you suggest is optimal( if 3000+ is NOT what you suggest)... Basically, what are you running in the video?!

KDE Direct
06-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Great that you guys replied to the post.
But can you tell us all what gearing (slant or straight cut), pinion / main gearing numbers, and what head speed you suggest is optimal( if 3000+ is NOT what you suggest)... Basically, what are you running in the video?!

Sure, the video is running 2800 rpm governed at +/- 14.5 degrees of pitch, which runs excellent on a 17T straight / 162T straight gearing setup. In this regard, the gearing ratio is 9.529.

If you want to run the slant gearing (which I don't use due to the lack of a pinion support and no noticeable noise improvments), on the gearing setup would be the 14T/134T slant, which is currently not available.

On the other hand, you can run this on a 100% flat-throttle curve (no governor) and the 12T slant (H50168) pinion with excellent performance - producing around 3050 rpm at the start of the flight and 2850 rpm towards the end.

hndaluvr
06-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Hmmmm... Not bad!

May be worth a try in the future. :thumbup:

Turttle
12-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Im just curiouse on how they compare to a scorpion.I am currently using my scorpion motor that is intended for one of my scale builds until I get a new motor.But any way scorpion makes the same spec motor but is considerably less$$$.The bonus on kde is the quad bearing and I also like the wiring.But how do the two compare as far as performance.........And yes we need a 14t pinion slant gear.With my 1400 kv scorpion @ 90 percent streight curve Im getting 3100 rpm no load.But on the upside I also have the 31t tail gear conversion option to run a lower head speed with the esp tail gearing.I would like to give the kde a try but the price is still a bit two steep.Tourne I tell yuh:lol:

Sonixs
12-30-2012, 11:54 PM
I recently fitted a 500XF to my EFL...All I can say is WOW! This is one awesome powerhouse.

I'm running 16/162 with GOV HS of 2700...the setup runs super efficiently producing flight times of 6-7 minutes sport flying and running at 20A average draw for the flight.

I've not flown the Scorpion Motors and after the 500XF I won't be either :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Turttle
12-31-2012, 04:27 AM
I recently fitted a 500XF to my EFL...All I can say is WOW! This is one awesome powerhouse.

I'm running 16/162 with GOV HS of 2700...the setup runs super efficiently producing flight times of 6-7 minutes sport flying and running at 20A average draw for the flight.

I've not flown the Scorpion Motors and after the 500XF I won't be either :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks sonix for the info I think I am going to stick with this scorpion 1400 kv for a while.Im also a sport and mild 3d flier 2700 hs sounds good along with flight time.I will let you know how this cnc tail conversion turns out with the 31t option.Still waiting on it lol but it should wake up the tale quite a bit at that rpm.:cheers

Turttle
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Just picked up the xf500 sonix.Yeah its a beast.My scale prodject is getting closer and I could not pass up the promo price for the kde.The i2 boom which I think you purchased with the esp gearing is insane.Piroetts are smooth and fast had to run 20 expo in tail which I honestly never do but its a solid set up.Digen it.:thumbup:

Turttle
03-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Hmm.Final thoughts between the scorpion 1400kv and the new xf500.Does this motor need time to break in or something.Its a good motor it is a lot smoother and its definatly got a little more pull but my headspead droped quite a bit.I had to varify it in my log but it droped a good 100rpm.Im not getting those high spikes of 69 amps that I was with the scorpion and it stays around 50 something so far but im not thinking this motor is worth the huge price difference.My esc is set to what is recomended and running 4.02.Running exact set up and equipment thats on kde sight.I was thinking with 1450kv It would slightly increase hs not lower it.All in all good motor but the price factor between the scorpion and kde sets them apart as there about equal scropion is smaller and less weight but kde has just a bit more pull even with a lower hs.I think the spikes has to do with scorpion and ice 80hv2 did not seem to agree with the motor but seems to be a match for the kde.

KDE Direct
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
The biggest difference you will see and feel in-flight is when you lower your gearing ratio (such as run a 17T pinion with the 162T gear on the 500 series), in which you allow the motor to have the voltage overhead from the LiPos and maintain headspeed. Right now, you are running the motor wide-open on both, so your performance is directly related to the LiPos, which is your limiting factor in the current setup.

Take a look at the setups on the website (http://www.kdedirect.com/PerformanceSetups.html) and if you want outstanding performance, look at the 500E PRO running 2900 RPM on the 17T pinion. The motor is essentially unboggable on this setup and will get you the performance you are looking for.

Turttle
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
The biggest difference you will see and feel in-flight is when you lower your gearing ratio (such as run a 17T pinion with the 162T gear on the 500 series), in which you allow the motor to have the voltage overhead from the LiPos and maintain headspeed. Right now, you are running the motor wide-open on both, so your performance is directly related to the LiPos, which is your limiting factor in the current setup.

Take a look at the setups on the website (http://www.kdedirect.com/PerformanceSetups.html) and if you want outstanding performance, look at the 500E PRO running 2900 RPM on the 17T pinion. The motor is essentially unboggable on this setup and will get you the performance you are looking for.
Its definatly a good motor I was just not really wanting to change the gear out.Was not expecting a lower headspeed with a higher kv motor.It does have a smoother feel and yes the torque is definatly there.I am happy with the motor first thing I noticed was headspeed but punch outs I was in a bit of aww as it pulled pretty hard kinda like a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.Im not having the high amp spikes with this motor like with the scorpion as well.Pitch pumps so far log as only given me a max of 50/55 amps where my scorpion was pushing 67 amps.Works good with the cc controller.Runs a bit cooler as well.20 dagreas cooler.:thumbup: