PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount Beastx unit on Plastic kit

Lompma
05-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Just wondering where people are mounting their FBL units on the plastic kits. It does not look like the right angle under the bearing blocks. I was thinking the bottom of the boom block to protect it from blade strikes. I had to sand it a little to get it flat. Any suggestions?

My98stang46
05-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Mine isn't the plastic but I put mine in the "traditional" gyro location.

Prôtos 500CF FBL Vbar
Blade 450FBL Tarot ZYX

banditpowdercoat
05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Top of boom block in the traditional position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr dan
05-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Top of boom block is where I mounted mine.

Lompma
05-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Did anyone sand it flat. I took a metal carpenter square to it and it has quite a hump in the middle.

alexf1852
05-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Did anyone sand it flat. I took a metal carpenter square to it and it has quite a hump in the middle.

What I did was cut the mounting tape (3M gray) into two narrow strips and put them on each side of the hump so that the bottom of the BeastX does not touch the hump. You might need two layers.

Mikej
05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I have mine under the main shaft - I made up a 2.5 degree wedge to make it flat

DaveGahan
05-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi !

I have mine mounted on the traditional gyro plattform, too. It works really fine this way !

Greetings,
Oliver

sjaaktrekhaak
05-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I have mine under the main shaft - I made up a 2.5 degree wedge to make it flat

I recently had a bad crash and if i would have had the beastx under the main shaft it would have been destroyed completely due to the main shaft penetrating through the beast.

Just a heads up;)

Sent from my phone

Mikej
05-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks - I know it's a risk - but this is a $30 Copterx that is in an aluminium case so hopefully safe and if not it is at least cheap :)

DaveGahan
05-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I have been thinking about getting a sk720 or sk540 since a while now.
Skookum advises to install it somewhere around cg. That's why I'm not sure about it...

I have the "same problem" with the LOGOs. Perhaps I would go for one but in these birds the battery is installed under the main shaft and could easyly destroyed in case of a crash...

I would go for the traditional place.

Greetings,
Oliver

desertstalker
05-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I have been thinking about getting a sk720 or sk540 since a while now.
Skookum advises to install it somewhere around cg. That's why I'm not sure about it...

I have the "same problem" with the LOGOs. Perhaps I would go for one but in these birds the battery is installed under the main shaft and could easyly destroyed in case of a crash...

I would go for the traditional place.

Greetings,
Oliver

The SK720 will work perfectly on the boom block (it does on my mini) the CoG advise is because vibrations are lower there but the protos design has low vibrations anyway (unlike a TT with transmission gears under the tail block). If you ignore vibrations you can mount the unit pretty much anywhere, as long as you can get it perpendicular to the mainshaft, neither rotational velocity or linear acceleration are altered by position on a rigid body (which the heli is to all intents).

The 540 can be mounted anywhere, it has negligible vibration sensitivity

matthewcornell
12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Top of boom block in the traditional position
I did this but a crash that required a boom change caused me to rethink this location because splitting the block required removing the AR7200BX :-( I had moved it to the slanted portion under the boom, but I'm thinking a slant is bad for the BX. And I see someone created an angled mounting adapter to keep it horizontal below the main gear. Thoughts?

banditpowdercoat
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I did this but a crash that required a boom change caused me to rethink this location because splitting the block required removing the AR7200BX :-( I had moved it to the slanted portion under the boom, but I'm thinking a slant is bad for the BX. And I see someone created an angled mounting adapter to keep it horizontal below the main gear. Thoughts?
You don;t have to split the cases for a boom change. Remove bolts and block slides out. I've done it with BX in place. Amd yes if you mount on the lower flat under the main shaft you NEED a angle to make the BX exactly perpendicular to the mainshaft

matthewcornell
12-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks, but I'm confused about how to get the boom out without separating the two halves. There is a round pin/extrusion inside one (both?) half that keeps the boom in place.

solex227
12-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks, but I'm confused about how to get the boom out without separating the two halves. There is a round pin/extrusion inside one (both?) half that keeps the boom in place.

Ut-OH read this thread on the which end is which...

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=461526

Solex227

crickr1
12-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Need to mount gyros/fbl. In traditional location on boom. Frame geometry of plastic kit is not 90* to main shaft. For cf frame there is optional upgrade lower frame section.
As far as splitting boom support for boom change, the hole is at tail box and slot is at boom block. Loosen 4 bolts and 2 screws to slide boom out. You can mount fbl unit on bottom of boom block. To help in blade strike. My fbl brains are mounted under boom.

matthewcornell
12-29-2012, 11:52 PM
That explains it! Note that the manual is dead wrong (see attached pic), as discussed in the very helpfully-linked to thread. Guess it is time to take her apart again. It will be nice to try flying it someday :-|

solex227
12-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Im with you! I have yet to fly my own but im waiting on batts and charger. You will get there and youre in the right place for information. Just stick with it ....

Solex227

01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
My BeastX has been on the inside of the frame of my plastic kit for over a year and it flies great.

Stu

01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
My BeastX has been on the inside of the frame of my plastic kit for over a year and it flies great.

Stu

Well now wait a minute. I just took a look at my Protos. I never noticed how far off the bottom portion of the frame was from being perpendicular to the main shaft. I bought this heli used. I will be moving the BeastX to the boomblock. It should fly even better. In fact, I'm suprised how well it has flown in this condition.

Stu

mattmezz
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
1157, where do you fly? In in HB and get tired of going all the way to carson to fly and harbor park is way too crowded.. plus i dont have anyone to fly with very often

01-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Well now wait a minute. I just took a look at my Protos. I never noticed how far off the bottom portion of the frame was from being perpendicular to the main shaft. I bought this heli used. I will be moving the BeastX to the boomblock. It should fly even better. In fact, I'm suprised how well it has flown in this condition.

Stu

Update: I left the Beast inside the frame; however, I had a plate created to shim the Beast so that it is perpendicular to the main shaft. I'm not sure I noticed any difference in the flying characteristics. It still flies great.