Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default parkzone spitfire, wheels?

hi all ive just got a big parkzone spitfire with retracts and was wondering if any one has replaced the stock wheels for bigger ones?

my local field is well cut but this plane does not wanna take off on grass, keeps tipping onto prop

any one got any ideas???
anglotechbot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

@anglotechbot Re: "any one got any ideas"

Nice looking aircraft; however, there is no Parkzone Spitfire in my hanger, so I can not comment on changing wheels. (otoh) I have seen video of Spitfires taking off with stock wheels and would leave them 'as-is.'

My personal experience with flying field grass that will not allow for standalone takeoff with wire or RC is, hand launching at one half (1/2) throttle:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/1289102[/ame]

Maybe give that a try and, if able, practice simulation landing for awhile, before you hand launch.
hyperfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfly View Post
My personal experience with flying field grass that will not allow for standalone takeoff with wire or RC is, hand launching at one half (1/2) throttle
The throttle level depends on the power-to-weight ratio and the wind conditions. I was trying to launch my PZ P-51 BL in essentially no wind and had to use full throttle.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

@TheBum

You are absolutely correct Alan. Good catch. I failed to mention flying conditions which are part of a pre-flight checklist.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my Parkzone P47 I take off from our grass field by using a small piece of cardboard laid on the grass as a little runway that allows the bird to get rolling full throttle before it gets to the grass. Once it's rolling at full throttle it powers nicely through the grass until it gets airborne. I also keep the tail planted with some up elevator.

Landing on grass is hit or miss. Sometimes it comes in nice and I can roll to a stop without incident, but most of the time it comes down fine but then noses over before it comes to a stop.
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Grass Field take off.

Greetings:
I have been using a small tarp I lay on the grass for my own personal runway. A 10' x 10' or even a 5' x 5" tarp is more than sufficient. I fly the foam cub, p51, and others and taking off and landing is fairly easy on a 10 x 10 a bit of a challenge on a 5 x 5,

As for hand launching, I'm at 4800 feet above sea level at ground level and when my air craft are 200 feet plus above the ground its at 5000 feet plus above sea level. So even at zero wind, and cool weather my air density still requires me to be at full throttle for hand launch. When the after noon gets hot 80 plus sometimes full throttle isn't enough. I've had to beef up the motors and props on some of my foam aircraft.

Just food for thought.
arhunter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hyperfly

what kind of heli is that under your name? that must one of the coolest helis ive ever seen !!!
muncheyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

@muncheyboy. what kind of heli is that under your name?

Kyosho Hyperfly designed and built by Dave Herbert A.K.A. NightFlyyer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2CRfIkwYB4[/ame]

http://rc-television.org/

Thank You for the nice comment

Tags
foam, parkzone, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in