PDA

View Full Version : SpartanRC DS760 Gyro Review and Setup Vids

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

heliboy88
07-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks a lot HFG, i think i better go for the 250Mhz setting for sure, i've just read that even the servo is rated for 333Mhz there's no harm doing it at 250.

regards,

MarkWebber
07-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I guess it could be the slower frame rate.

Wouldn't it be nice if the servo manufacturers would do us a solid and put this info in their spec sheets.:thumbup:

DominicD
07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
It's 250Hz and 330Hz not MHz, very big difference.

heliboy88
07-17-2008, 10:25 PM
It's 250Hz and 330Hz not MHz, very big difference.

HGF, yup, made a mistake, thanks for correcting.

Mark, you're right, i think the manufacturers or even the online stores selling them should list all the specs of their products to clear out lots of issues like this.

Thanks to everyone helping and sharing knowledge.

regards,

LJS
07-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi All and Angelos,

I'm having trouble with my Spartan DS760 gyro. I've just got a few flights on it, and this is the second time that it's lost it's settings. The way I notice it is that the TR goes beyond its limits. The first time it happened, I read the data from the gyro with the FlashLink and one of the end point adjustments was MUCH greater than the 90 that it was supposed to be. Today I went out to fly at lunch and once again, one of the limits was way out of whack.

I took out a JR770 that I had had about 300 flawless flights from so I'm not too happy. The weather is supposed to be great here this weekend. Looks like I'll need to put the 770 back in.

Any help would be appreciated.:YeaBaby:

LJS

Angelos
07-18-2008, 02:36 PM
LSJ,
a complex technical description... in version 1.07 we introduced the bumpless restart feature. For the bumpless restart to work the gyro needs to save the calibration data each time in case they are needed for a bumpless restart. However this means that there is a very narrow window right after calibration is completed where the EEPROM (data storage) memory gets erased and reprogrammed. If you happen to switch the heli on and off quickly sometimes the gyro may continue to tick over for a brief moment as the BEC or regulator or the gyro's own capacitors discharge. This may just be long enough to reach the stage that the EEPROM is erased and reprogrammed. Since the EEPROM erase/wtite processes is a bit more power hungry this sometimes happens to be the moment the capacitors discharge leaving the process incomplete. To overcome this, in version 1.08 we introduced publication of all data. The two data images are updated in sequence and thus if one write process is interrupted the other image will remain unaffected. Furthermore, the gyro software can self repair any of the two images that fail to validate using data from the good one.

If all of the above confused you... simply update you gyro to firmware 1.08 or avoid powering on/off quickly.

-Angelos

DominicD
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Anglelos if your using the EEPROM on an ATMEL we can only use the gyro for 1million flights :)

Angelos
07-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Same with this dsPIC... what a pity!

-Angelos

DominicD
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I've only got 999,990 flights left, i better order a spare gyro :)

LJS
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Angelos,

Yep, that went right over my head. The rapid on/off is impossible to avoid because I am using a BEC and sometimes the connectors bounce together when I plug it in. So I'll upgrade to version 1.08.

Hey, thanks for being available and getting me a quick response. I hope your company appreciates the fact that you are using your personal time to keep Spartan customers happy.:thumbup:

Have a great weekend. I will be thanks to you!:YeaBaby:

LJS

MarkWebber
07-18-2008, 06:26 PM
I hope your company appreciates the fact that you are using your personal time to keep Spartan customers happy.:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure "they" are.;)

ShinOBIWAN
07-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Bob and others, why do you put in 8 degrees of pitch on the tail? Was it for the benefit of those who use rate mode and isn't needed for HH exclusive users or in others words if I only use HH do I still need to do the 8 degrees thing?

I ask because in your vid you center the arm at 90 degree then adjust links for 8 degrees pitch but this offsets the tail pitch slider and I can't get full throw at both deflections also the end points are uneven after setting for no binding(one reduced and the other at max). If I center at 90 and adjust the link for zero pitch then I can get full throw in both directions and the end points are more even.

Also do you need to set subtrims in the radio after setting the end point on the gyro? I'm guessing not but want to be sure.

ShinOBIWAN
07-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Been thinking about the above a little more

On the servo arm if I move the ball out from 13.5mm to the next hole at 16mm that would give more throw and enable the pitch slider to use the whole range available, problem is the push rod is no long at 90 to the servo arm. Its not massively off, just a hair out. Would that be OK?

I'm now also realise the the end points in the transmitter are used to set travel in rate mode or the piro rate in HH. Is that correct?

DominicD
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
The 8 degrees of pitch are to counter the "constant" torque of the tail. The servo movement isn't linear so if your horn isn't centered when flying your performance with a left and right piro arn't the same.

ShinOBIWAN
07-18-2008, 11:05 PM
The 8 degrees of pitch are to counter the "constant" torque of the tail. The servo movement isn't linear so if your horn isn't centered when flying your performance with a left and right piro arn't the same.

I think I see what your saying. The 8 degree's holds the tail steady but my issue is that it sets the pitch slider at an offset when the servo is centered so you get different amounts of travel on each side of the neutral position of the pitch slider and largely different servo end points on the ds760.

I think for HH the spartan probably doesn't even need that 8 degrees to work optimally and I could get a better mechanical setup?

I can't help but feel I'm missing the point.

DominicD
07-18-2008, 11:08 PM
The spartan is one of the gyros that allows you to set the left and right pitch limits independently (not that i think this is critical). With a proper HS having less pitch on one side should never limit you.

LJS
07-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi Angelos,

I updated to 1.08 as you suggested and that took care of it. I tried turning it on very fast by bouncing the connectors, and no problem.

Thanks again for the help.:YeaBaby:

LJS

JodyJ
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I think I see what your saying. The 8 degree's holds the tail steady but my issue is that it sets the pitch slider at an offset when the servo is centered so you get different amounts of travel on each side of the neutral position of the pitch slider and largely different servo end points on the ds760.

I think for HH the spartan probably doesn't even need that 8 degrees to work optimally and I could get a better mechanical setup?

I can't help but feel I'm missing the point.

I have the same question you as above. Hopefully somebody can put it in layman's terms so I can understand :)

Thanks.

JodyJ
07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Firmware update 1v08 now available. Details on our support page FAQ topics 28 and 29 http://www.spartan-rc.com/support.php?faq=27,28

EDIT: I forgot to say... if you have a Spektrum receiver/gyro combination that was sensitive to entering configuration mode due to the power on glitch please let me know if the fix worked.

-Angelos

I have the Blue-link, how do I update my ds760 to the latest firmware version?

Thanks,

Jody J.

raptorheli2
07-21-2008, 05:45 PM
if your doing this via pc/laptop then run the program as per normal. download the firmware loader from spartan website. run that as normal and pick a com port as the BT is seen as a normal COM port. you will need to pair the BT link with the pc/laptop before doing this if you haven't already done so.

if your using a pda/mobile phone then the software available doesn't include a firmware facility yet. i'm testing a beta version that has this functionality just now and it will be out very soon (weeks). the new software works fine but it's not 100% finished so once the final touches are on it will be released.

cheers

JodyJ
07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
if your doing this via pc/laptop then run the program as per normal. download the firmware loader from spartan website. run that as normal and pick a com port as the BT is seen as a normal COM port. you will need to pair the BT link with the pc/laptop before doing this if you haven't already done so.

if your using a pda/mobile phone then the software available doesn't include a firmware facility yet. i'm testing a beta version that has this functionality just now and it will be out very soon (weeks). the new software works fine but it's not 100% finished so once the final touches are on it will be released.

cheers

Thanks for the update on the Blue-Link :) I guess I can use the Flash-Link I have to update the firmware on all my spartans.

Thanks again,

Jody J.

JodyJ
07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Anybody having problems getting to the spartan website?

Thanks,

Jody J.

***Edit: Nevermind came back up*****

MarkWebber
07-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I have the same question you as above. Hopefully somebody can put it in layman's terms so I can understand :)

Thanks.

Each heli setup will have a given amount of pitch in the tail blades to hold against the M/R torque. It will vary from heli to heli for a variety of reasons, i.e., tail blade size, tail speed/authority, main blade drag, head speed, etc.
Since we all don't build identical helicopters, 8 degrees is a good starting point.
Obviously, no heli tail will counter the M/R torque at 0 deg pitch. Hopefully, the manufacturer has taken this into consideration and built the heli with a certain amount of pitch designed into the tail while still maintaining equal throw amounts in both directions.

Tomas Ahl
07-22-2008, 01:58 AM
The 8 degree's holds the tail steady but my issue is that it sets the pitch slider at an offset when the servo is centered so you get different amounts of travel on each side of the neutral position of the pitch slider and largely different servo end points on the ds760. You should be more interested in having the servo near its neutral position when the tail is holding against the M/R torque than where the pitch slider is located. Because the gyro will move the pitch slider to this position for you and if it also has to counter 8 - or so - of T/R pitch too you will get very uneven and non-linear servo travel around the point where the tail is holding, maybe to the extent that the servo can't move far enough to get very much pirouetting power in one direction but way more than enough in the other. And around the M/R holding point you will still have uneven mechanical end-points, it is only that the numbers in the gyro will be "more even" nothing else.

So don't bother with the actual end-point numbers in the gyro, get your mechanical setup good instead. And you don't need to be spot on mechanically, as the instruction and Angelos says it works with a ballpark setup where about 8 of pitch is close enough.

LJS
07-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi Angelos,

I have a minor issue. I would like a faster piro rate. I looked at the FAQs on your website and it said to up the rudder end point adjustments in the transmitter. I've done that. My DX7 transmitter endpoints are now set to 150. However, I would still like the piro rate a little bit faster. Is there a way to do that?

As always, many thanks,:YeaBaby:
LJS

PS The DS760 is in a Logo 500 3D. And yes, I do have the FlashLink cable.